330 GT 2+2 Coil and ignition timing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

330 GT 2+2 Coil and ignition timing

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ChrisEvans, Nov 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    7-8 PSI, find one that is for a carb 308 (77-78) and it will work fine.

2. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I always check my cam timing marks also. Since the cams drive the distributors their relationship is crucial. You must also check the both sets of points in each distributor are timed correctly. It's sometimes a lengthy process but pays huge dividends.

3. ChrisEvans

ChrisEvans Rookie

Nov 27, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    thanks - an old English phrase.

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Sorry to correct Kerry, but the carbs on a 330 use a maximum of 4 psi. If you feed them 7-8 psi you will get carb flooding, a fire or both. I can give you fuel pump numbers if you want to PM me. Sounds like you need all the help you can get.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I'm with Dyke on the fuel pressure as well. If it still works, I set the Fispa pressure regulator to 3.5PSI.

I recommend getting the lowest pressure cylindrical Facet pump, Known as the "Black Top" it makes 2.75-4PSI. Hold onto your original Fispa electric pump, they are getting very costly now, and can be rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing.

Brian Brown
    Grand Touring Enterprises

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    You can rebuild both your pumps, the mechanical as well as the electrical Fispa. There is lots of information on this from real experts like Dyke here in the forum as well as on TY. Not sure if you have a S1 or S2. I seem to remember the S2 had a different setup in regard to the electrical pump in the back.
    I set up the mechanical pump for maximum stroke as described by Dyke in one of his articles and it works perfectly. With the electrical pump it mostly needs cleaning and setting up of the contacts under the cap and for sure a new membrane. Overhaul kits are available for both pumps, but buy them from a reputable source as they differ in quality. You can easily bench test the electrical pump before installation - see photo. Put a presure gauge in line in the car to measure actual presure after the regulator. The regulator only limits the presure from the mechanical pump. The electrical pump enters the rail from the back. Stay to maximum presure as recommended by Dyke. If you want to go to a new pump there is a low presure facet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ChrisEvans

ChrisEvans Rookie

Nov 27, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    Thank you all - very useful information as always. I think I will go for a new pump for now and try and repair the old one, unfortunately the last guy to broke the internal Bakelite block at the top of the pump so it may be tricky.
    It's raining cats and dogs here so I'm off to the barn for a tinker, photo attached, it was built in 1730 fifty years before you guys left us! All the best and Happy New Year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Llenroc, Dogdish, Zanny1 and 2 others like this.
  8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Chris,

the block is available, especially since we have plastic printing. I bought one some years ago from ebay. I am sure it is available and it is no big deal to change it.

Nice barn - looks like a lot of space for tinkering with cars. Lucky you.

I wish you and all on fchat a happy new year or as we say in Germany “einen guten Rutsch” which can be translated as a good slide into the new year!

Thanks for all the help from the really knowledgeable people here on fchat from myself!!!

All the best
    Christopher

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  9. ChrisEvans

ChrisEvans Rookie

Nov 27, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    I couldn't have done it without all your help - see video, first time running in 35 years - Just a few other bits to sort out!

Attached Files:

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Congratulations. Also, I appreciate the fact that your associate was wearing the appropriate cover (headgear) for such endeavors. Happy motoring!

11. ChrisEvans

ChrisEvans Rookie

Nov 27, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    That is me!

readplays likes this.
  12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003