330 GT 2+2 One Off Barn Find, Help Identify?! | FerrariChat

330 GT 2+2 One Off Barn Find, Help Identify?!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by OneOff, Jan 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    Just when you think you've seen them all something like this surfaces!

I short intro........my father-in-law has owned this car for decades, it's a 1965. I believe it was originally Dk Blue, serial number 6537. The story is it was once owned by New Orleans Saints Owner John Mecam and sent back to Italy for the front end conversion.

Here are pics of the car, it has about 45,000 miles on it. If anyone can help us with information on this car it would be great. My father-in-law is in his 80's now and has realized he just won't be getting around to driving this car!!

Thanks much!

2. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
  3. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Well you got us all intrigued but only one photo shows up and from the rear at that! Best, Yale

4. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    No problem!!

Thank You........................

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's certainly different, and I kind of like it. What are your plans with the car?

6. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    Right now we would like to know if anyone knows Mr Mecom or his family or anyone that would know about conversions such as this.
    Is the car worth anything? It hasn't been on the road in years but it will start with some prodding, I think the brakes or brake lines need some work. The wheels were redone about 10 years ago by Dayton Wire Wheel and have never been outside...
    Basically wanting info so he doesn't get ripped off by someone looking to make a buck off an old man!!

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow.......does it run?

You've got some hard thinking to do on this one.........

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mr. Mecom is still here in the River Oaks of Houston , but you don't just ring the doorbell.....

Writerguy here knows him...

It's worth less than a similar unmolested car UNLESS you can flange up details of the mods..........even then I'd restore in factory colors.....no question...

The 2+2s do not give you a whole lot of wiggle room due to value right now....
    BUT it's a 12! And those wheels go for $2K each........Borranis?

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    On the positive side, the 330 has really jumped in value over the past few years. In 2002 they were $40,000 drivers, now they're easily twice that (I'm certain someone will provide correct numbers). On the negative side, that nose conversion is going to limit your potential group of buyers.

As Big Tex indicates, mechanical condition and documented history will play a huge role in the value. Please don't let a parts guy get this car, the body shell is far too interesting to be cut up (IMHO)

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Guys here will help you zoom in on a current value...we don't let anyone get 'taken advantage of" if we can help it.....welcome!

Mecom certainly built a whole bunch of cars...........some from the ground up.

The City of Houston has actually restored the old Hobby Airport building...maybe this car needs to be on display with a wax Mr. Mecom and his driver AJ Foyt, tuning it up! LOL!

(His shop was there and tested on the runways out back......)

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What's the 5 digit VIN?

Maybe this was a '4 light' car that was up for a 'beauty treatment'???

12. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for the replies!

The 5 digit is CP6537, does that tell anything about the car?
    I am obviously fairly ignorant about Ferrari's except that I wish I had one!

I guess I hope someone that knows Mr Mecom or his family well would show him the pics and at least let him know the car is still around and maybe be able to provide the conversion info.
    I think it looks good, and the worth of the car isn't all that important, we know it's not the "most desirable" of Ferrari's but he really enjoyed the car when he lived in Atlanta and drove it to work most days back in the early 70's. But at the same time we don't want someone taking advantage of him either.

I was directed to you all here at Ferrarichat.com because I was told I would get a fair and impartial assessment of the car and so far it's been great!

Thanks-

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, there's an obvious answer to that issue here :D Surely you can arrange a son-in-law discount...

See http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/ for more info on this series of 330

14. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Check with Kerry he runs the 330 registry and is on Tom Yangs site all the time, he may have some insights. Where on the car did the number with CP prefix come from? What is the motor serial number?

15. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    Not sure where the numbers are, my wife handed me a piece of paper with the info on it and wanted to know if I could find out any info for her father. I'm pretty sure it has the original engine though, except for the paint job I believe most everything else is original.

16. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Nice, this car is not even on Kerry's registry, now found! I bet it is going to be hard to keep this from the Shaunessey/Petroskie's of the world. The nose is an interesting oddity but these days those sorts of alterations make for a tough sell, uless of course it was in perfect shape. It's probably a $45,000-$50,000 car and might only be saved from the parts bin if the person who buys it wants to restore it.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sadly true....

Get some Marvel Mystery Oil in that engine...then check it gently next month!

Actually there's a little more to it, but others will post.....

So this IS a FIND! We all clap when that happens, no matter the condition!
    So a big thanks!

The number plate will be on the firewall, with two numbers one for frame, one for engine........hence the common term "matching numbers" for unmolested drivetrains.......if this is so you have a good starting point...everything else can be sourced these days..on the INTERNET!

*fireworks going off*

18. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    This is a fairly good car, isn't it? If this is a 4HL car it should be relatively easy to find a 330 body with a perfect nose-- thanks to the replica craze.

john

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Oneoff,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for bringing the car to light!

As was stated, the car has not been previously documented (neither the 330 register nor barchetta.cc have any info on the serial number besides the model).

Your car is SN 6537GT. The CP was likely added to make it comply with the 6 digit registration form most state DMVs have (they did it to mine also but added different letters than CP).

Your car is essentially a stock Series 1 330GT (2+2). The modification appears to be forward of the hood only. The key to its value in modified form depends on who did the design and the work. If, for example, it was done by Drogo, it may add value. Otherwise, it most likely does not (though it doesn't hurt the value either).

My biggest concern is that usually, the barn-find 2+2s are purchased by inexperienced enthusiasts that eventually give up. The cars then end up in the hands of Tom S. or equivalent as a parts source for the rest of our cars.

I hope you restore it. Let us know what guidance or assistance you need and you will likely get it.

I would recommend poking around www.tomyang.net and http://www.jb330gt.com to see what is involved in a restoration of one of these cars and for more detailed info and more closely related links to your model Ferrari.

Good Luck,

Art S.

PS. In case you decide to convert it back to original appearance (personally, I wouldn't) the front clip should be easy to find since a number of these cars had their 2+2 bodies removed for use as reproduction racecars.

21. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Hi John,

On the "good car front" I think these cars get parked because something is wrong and the owner doesn't want to deal wth it...yet. And yet turns into 20 years (or more). And then yet turns into an engine hoist owned by the vultures of the four seat set. By the way Art, I somewhat doubt it is a Drogo alteration, unless you mean Irving Drogo who had that body shop in Parsipiney. Best, Yale

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It does have an odd charm about it.......but red is not the color.....

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Yale,

If the car was converted in Italy, who knows - not all of Drogo's stuff was stunning (think 'The Golden Car').

Post pictures of your car into this thread so the owner gets an idea of what his car originally looked like.

Regards,

Art S.

24. OneOff

OneOff Rookie

Jan 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for all the input.

Within the first hour of posting I heard from a gentleman from California and another from France expressing interest. Of course there was no specific amount offered......

Don't worry, if my father-in-law sells the car it would have to be to a good home. He would never knowingly sell it to someone who wanted to part it out!

It's one of the coolest cars I've seen, I like the front end and the fact that it's older and we could actually put a couple kids in the back. I just don't think we can afford to fix it up right.

I guess it's worth more "as is" then the $15,000 I was telling him!? Good thing I'm not a salesman!

Ryan S. likes this.