330 GT 2+2 Series 2 vs 365 GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

330 GT 2+2 Series 2 vs 365 GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Higgins23, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Has anyone owned both the 330 GT 2+2 Series 2 vs 365 GT 2+2 ? Which is the preferred car ? I have been considering both for a long time and would appreciate any and all insights. Thanks.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hi.

I have a 330 Series II, and I carefully considered various vintage 2+2 Ferraris before settling on my car. The list included a 250 GTE, 330 America, 330 2+2 of various configurations, and the 365. Take a close look at all of these cars, drive at least an example of each, and decide which one is right for you.

If you've already narrowed the list to the Series II 330 and the 365, do you have a preference already? Personally, I prefer the lines of the 330 over the 365. The 365 is also a little large for my tastes. However, I think that the interior of the 365 is far more luxurious than that of the 330. (The 365 dash is gorgeous, and I love the electrically operated rear quarter windows.)

I'd give a slight edge to the 330's performance. Although the 365 weighs more, it has a bit more power. That extra weight, however, reveals itself around the twisty bits.

As with any Ferrari, make sure that all systems are working properly. In the 365, this would include the self-leveling rear suspension.

In all honesty, it's individual preference. I simply prefer the 330.

--Matt

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I agree completely w/ Smiles - drive both, make sure everything works, and go with your preference. The other important aspect of the 365 different from the 330 is the independent rear suspension on the 365.

One small correction - the silliness of the electric windows in the 365 is that it is the FRONT quarter windows - easily in reach of the front seat occupants - that are electric; not the rear quarters - they are manual. The electric front quarter windows only appeared on the early queens. At some point in 69, I believe, Ferrari went back to manual operation for the front quarters (the main door windows were still electric).

The 365 interior is definitely sumptuous for the time. This pic is before I re-installed the correct Blaupunkt . . .

4. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Also look at the thread I started about three months ago on the exact same topic- here in the vintage section. Personally I prefer the S2 330 because of the lines. If all goes well I am picking up a 330 S2 the day after tomorrow and I'll post a lengthy discussion of the car and the process of buying it. Me and my 328 cant wait!!

Dan

5. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    Dan, I am very much looking forward to hearing about the process you went through on buying your 330 GT SII.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    A 330 in any configuration is a paragon achievement.

7. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I looked at both 365s and 330s when I was searching. They are both great cars. The best specimen of either you can find is the best choice in my opinion.
    The 330s certainly have less extra stuff, lighter etc. but I like the superfast-look of the 365 too.
    Have you driven one yet?
    Try to...these cars are very different from the later ones-even a Dino seems much more modern in comparison. My 330 reminds me the most of a 60's Jag mark 2 in the driving of it, except with more power ans a better soundtrack.

8. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I have driven a 365 GT 2+2. I found it comfortable, very stable at speed, but a bit "squishy" on smaller country type roads. Great engine noise.

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    An early, no options 330 2+2 such as mine is definitely a retro driving experience - very long on driver interactivity and mechanical sensations, great engine sounds, for an old Ferrari simple to work on with reasonable availability of parts, short on luxury features and year round practicality in extreme climates -Texas in summer! Great value for Ferrari dollars(a different currency than regular dollars, I've found).

I looked at 365 2+2's online but never in person.

10. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    What would the current price ranges be for good solid "drivers" 330 GT 2+2 SII's and 365 GT 2+2's. Also have the prices been moving much over the past couple of years ? Thanks.

11. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    "The other important aspect of the 365 different from the 330 is the independent rear suspension on the 365".

Both the 330 GT and 365 GT series have independent rear suspension. Ferrari started using independent rear suspension from the 275 GTB & GTS onwards. 365 GT cars have the self leveling rear suspension, 330 GT´s don´t. Keep in mind that repairs can be very expensive on the self leveling suspension.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My car has a live axle, located by both leaf springs and coil springs!

13. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Really? Now you got me confused :) Could be my mistake! I always thought Ferrari put them in the 330 series as well hence they were produced in about the same time as the 275s.

14. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Yup, checked it in a book of mine. 330s did not have independent rear suspension... Sorry, my mistake!

15. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I think you have to specify which 330.
    The GT 2+2 had leaf springs/coilovers - the 330 GTC was independent, I think - I don't know about the 330 GTS, but probably the same as the GTC.

Cheers
    Warren

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    the 330 GTC had a rear transaxle with irs; the 2+2s had leaf/coil springs and a live rear axle, I seem to remember

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The 330 2+2's live axle is so well located, and so properly sprung and dampened, that there really is very little advantage to using the independent rear on a street car.

I don't understand the premium pople will pay for the GTC. In my (admitedly biased) eyes, the 2+2 even looks better!

Does anyone have a side view of a GTC that looks as good as the picture above?

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The 330 GTC is the only 2-seat vintage Ferrari that is even remotely affordable for the "average". It has a lock on its place in the heirarchy. The closest thing is a Daytona and a driver grade Daytona will fetch about the same price as an exceptional GTC. I think th GTC is a great looking car but not among the best aesthetic designs from the vintage era.

I also consider a 330 2+2 to be a relative bargain. My next choice up would be a 330 GTS, and it would take my car plus about $150K to buy a nice one. The 330 2+2 has a longterm home in my garage, short of the old "offer you can't refuse".

19. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    I have never been able to see the point of 4 seats in a Ferrari and fortunately my kids have all left home anyway!

I have a 365 GTC and whereas I agree that it is not the "best" looking car, it is no ugly duckling either. The styling is very restrained and unostentatious. "The epitome of good taste."

It is a wonderful driving machine, benefitting from near parfect weight distribution with the chassis layout almost identical to the 275 GTB.The car was the last two-seater to use the two cam engine and in many ways it is the end of the line for "vintage" Ferrari's.

The car is a really comfortable and totally practical long distance tourer, with a fairly luxurious interior and plenty of luggage space. It is also quite quick and will easily deal with (and see off) modern traffic. The road manners are impeccable with excellent visibility and it is enormously reassuring to drive.

20. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Comes in handy when one has more than one girlfriend...

Seriously though, I don't mind the extra seats if the car is the same size as a 2-seater anyway. Huge cars with only 2seats always seemed odd to me.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    In all honesty, there's not a lot of difference between a 330 GT 2+2 and a 330 GTC. It makes me think that either the value of the four seaters will rise, or that the value of the two seaters will fall. (I'm sure that all owners hope that the prices will rise!)

I'd really like to see a GTC profile that looks as clean as my 2+2!

-K1- likes this.
  22. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I was just looking at both a 330 & 365 GT 2+2. I really like the front profile on the 365 but prefer the tail on the 330. Both do have nice very clean lines.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Matt:

There is still a stigma attached to 2+2 Ferraris. I think it is bogus, too, but I'm in the minority.

A 330 GTC was the first Ferrari that I had the opportunity to work on. There are some handling differences between the GTC and the 2+2 due to different wheelbases and weight distribution. If you are going to go cruising in the car, you wont notice them. If you track it, they are noticible. I still think that the GTC is still undervalued for what you get comparing it to a 275 GTB or a Daytona. The 330 GT 2+2 still represents tremendous value.

24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

edit: pix from Ferrari buyers Guide, 4th Ed. (thanx!)