330 GTC 9911 on BAT | Page 5 | FerrariChat

330 GTC 9911 on BAT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by SCantera, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    same here…no leading zero…just 9911

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    09813 (a 275 GTB/4) has a leading zero.
    I also recommend not to compare the chassis tag but rather the actual stamping of the number on the frame.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    JimEakin and readplays like this.
  5. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Four digits

anyone know the meaning of the IGM and 0M stampings?

Attached Files:

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Here.
    This has been discussed before already, the search function is on top right (at least on my version of fchat).

Marcel Massini

Attached Files:

7. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am actually aware of the search function. I simply forgot to use it this time. Thanks so much for the subtle reminder.

8. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #109 fasthound, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Ferrari changed their logo quite a number of times over their history. Specifically regarding my 330, they changed it in 1960 and then again in 1981 with my car being a 1967.

The logo from the 1960’s has chrome tracing around the horse and lettering. The 1981 logo does not. Hard to see in these photos.

In 1977, for my 21st birthday, my college roommates drove down to the Detroit Ferrari dealer (we were in Ann Arbor at University of Michigan) and bought me this logo from their parts department and had it mounted on this plaque. It’s been on the wall of every apartment and home I’ve lived in since then, and was on the wall of my office (s) at various points in my career.

So, bottom line is that the logo they got me in 1977 is the correct logo for a 1960’s Ferrari. While it doesn’t look like it in these photos, it has the correct chrome tracings and looks exactly like the 1960 logo….exactly. The enamel is the correct shade and is truly flush with the horse and lettering and has the correct corners….everything is exactly correct.

The logo on my car, while looking correct, on closer inspection is clearly a newer reproduction and not from that time period….and not quite as nicely done. While it does have the correct chrome tracing, the background isn’t quite right. And the yellow enamel isn’t done correctly and sinks away from the horse tracing and is not flush, etc. Barely noticeable unless you look very closely, but once you see the differences, it can’t be unseen.

So, I’ve decided to replace the logo on my car with the logo my roommates got for me since it was the first Ferrari part of any sort I ever owned and has great sentimental value. And then I’ll mount the current one from my hood onto the plaque. And if I ever sell the car (I can’t imagine doing that, but one never knows), I’ll switch them back.

I think most of you can appreciate the symbolism and even the emotional appeal of doing this swap.

I’m pretty happy I randomly was looking at the history of the Ferrari logos today.

PS - 330 GTC BAT auction anniversary June 24th, bottle of bubbly being chilled

Attached Files:

9. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Texas Forever and tritone like this.
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    very cool story and nice roommates. do you still keep in touch w them?

11. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I do stay in touch with one of them…he’s one of my best friends. And as he likes to say, “You can’t make new old friends.”

12. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    audi_328, SCantera, Zanny1 and 8 others like this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Congratulations !
    Care to elaborate on (pros and cons of) “an interesting and somewhat enlightening journey” and mileage accomplishment during past two years ?
    Just curious.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    she is a beauty. worth a little
    pain.

readplays likes this.