330 GTC for sale | FerrariChat

330 GTC for sale

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by fasthound, Jun 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desidon

desidon Rookie

Feb 21, 2018
    Hello folks….how do collectors view the repaint to a different color in terms of collectibility, value etc. If this was in its original paint would it have been more valuable or less or it does not matter?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for this what you just ask here in your first post it would be good to introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile. thank you

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    It matters

4. desidon

desidon Rookie

Feb 21, 2018
    Everyone starts somewhere

Hello forum.. From the Dallas area. Current vintage cars I own are 61 190 sl, 71 300 SEL 6.3 and a 57 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 special. Have other modern ones like Sls amg, McLaren 720s, 2009 bentley brooklands, 2016 Audi S8 +, 2022 Audi Rs6 avant etc.

Considering my first vintage Ferrari. Looking at 330 GTC, 2+2 or 365 2+2 etc. No previous Ferrari ownership although I have driven a bunch of the modern ones. Trying to get educated on the market, availability etc.

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I agree that the original color does matter. Many collectors want cars that represent how they left the factory. There might be an exception if the original color doesn't suit the model. Not to upset anyone but I am not a fan of a bright red GTC. I would not buy one even if it was the original color unless the price left enough room for a full cosmetic restoration. I wouldn't buy a red 365 GTC/4 either as it highlights the rubber bumper surrounding the grill opening. I would buy a red Daytona though. Or a Boxer w/ red over black.

My first 330 was a silver exterior w/ a [French] blue interior. Very classy combo. My current car is Blu Leman w/ a nero interior. The original paint was a grigio. But I really like the Blu and will not spend the $$ to take it back to original until such time that the car requires a full paint job.

I collect what I want w/o regard to future values. And I have to connect with the car before it becomes a keeper for me. My GTC is my #1 keeper.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny, I remember when most old Ferrari fans didn't care if a car got repainted a different color so long as the color was period correct. After all, it is your car.

The same can't be said for P-bug types. They freak out if you throw the original oil away.

Ps Mine had been repainted resale red. But when I inspected the undercarriage, I could some of the original Burgundy/Russo color. THAT would have been a cool color for a GTC.

SCantera likes this.
  7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    My first Boxer was silver over black. In the late 80s I too was guilty of repainting it resale red. The original acrylic paint was crazing all over. Good to see that a fellow FChat member restored the car and brought it back to it’s original paint. My bad. Can I say I was young and dumb back in the 80’s?

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    From my standpoint as long as the color is a correct color from the era of the car i don't really care..In the case of this 330GTC I think it looks great
    In this color

9. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My personal take (for future resale) from best to worse:
    “Preservation Platinum” original paint in a desirable color
    Respray in desirable original color
    “Preservation Platinum” original paint in an undesirable color
    Respray in a desirable non-original period color or respray in an undesirable original color (tie)
    Respray in a desirable non-period color
    Respray in an undesirable non-original period color
    Respray in an undesirable non-period color

Of course, “desirable” is in the eye of the beholder/market, and will vary by model; and some form of “resale red” is desirable if original, and these days seems to be considered undesirable if not original. Though despite the general distain for resale-red, I think there is an argument that it is still the best of all the non-original “undesirable” colors...

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    By “period color” I imagine y’all mean a factory correct color for that model and year.

I have not seen the written judging standards but I have been told that a repaint in factory correct color for model and year results in no point deduction. If someone knows that to be incorrect please correct me.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This car is from a well known collection..

It's a great color on the car...

Engine and chassis matching numbers in this era car, are IMO far more important.
    YMMV

Bowzer, Oengus, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    nice car......love the color too!

Oengus likes this.
  13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The floor mats are interesting.

enio45 likes this.
  14. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rosso Rubino looks spectacular on this car. Particularly over tan. What a beauty.

SCantera likes this.
  15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I think the floor mats and the extra trim piece on the glove box door replicate the flags on the ashtray. There are a few added non-original touches on this car.

She is a beauty.

Oengus likes this.
  16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Maybe I missed it but what is the mileage on this GTC? I did read where a previous owner added 17k kms in 2 years and another 12k over the next 5.

The odo shows 00567 basically a meaningless figure unless it just "rolled over". But I don't see anything specific to current mileage now or from the past.

Also......the description mentions that Patrick Otis performed a fair amount of "sorting" eg electrical, transaxle, torque tube[?], and clutch. Not sure exactly what the definition of sorting is here w/o seeing the service records. No specific mention of an engine re-build either.

I am not trying to disparage this beautiful example of a 330 GTC. Just curious about some items I didn't see in the Details section about the car.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    will anyone venture a sales price?
    i say $625k

18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm going to say it will be a "No Sale"

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the RM Gene Ponder 330gtc is offered without reserve.

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I stand corrected! No reserve? I think your number is just about right, maybe a bit more for color.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    All of the Ponder cars have been cosmetically "personalized" to varying degrees. Not my thing.

22. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Any body know the final sales price on the beautifully restored 330GTC on Gooding's auction??

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I believe it was withdrawn from the auction.

24. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you, but i was under the impression the one withdrawn was the red one from the Ponder Collection offered by RM. The one i was asking about is offered by Gooding and i have posted pictures in the section " pictures i find on the net" It might be sr.# 11251.