330 GTC - Rubber pad under door sill metal threshold | FerrariChat

330 GTC - Rubber pad under door sill metal threshold

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fasthound, Oct 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Does anyone know of any source for the thin rubber "pad" that is supposed to go under the door sill metal threshold? Picture attached. I have no idea how thick it is supposed to be? 2 or 3mm maybe? I could probably find a sheet the right thickness and cut a pad for each side if I had a clue about it’s thickness.

I've looked at quite a few 330 GTC's, and none of them have this rubber which I'm guessing has simply deteriorated after so many years and as refurbishment has been done, the pad isn’t replaced?. I have looked at a reportedly 100% original, low mileage 330 GTC and it also didn't have this rubber.

But, it should be there, so I'm looking for a source. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kevin

photo from the GTC Configuration Guide:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Kevin - PM me your email ref this topic

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I don’t have answers to your specific questions nor am I very familiar with many of the minor(?) GTC details, there appears to be a potentially inaccurate description of one in the text above the photos of screen shot of the “GTC Configuration Guide”.

4. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    I didn't notice this rubber piece on my 365 either, but looking at the picture on the right it seems to me that the rubber is ribbed and not flat. It could just be a thin frame for the aluminum threshold that eventually fall off as it dries and deteriorates. Just my observation.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Just so that those who really wish to learn can do their own homework or at least think whether the presented statement makes sense, instead of blindly relying on posted/printed material in front of the them.
    Internet forums and experts in them seem to present enough inaccurate or misleading information as it is already.

Besides, it has ever been my intention to try spoon feed anyone with something as controversial as production details/features on 50+ year old Ferraris, especially on something I just suspect being “potentially inaccurate” and don’t have substantial firsthand experience with.

Zanny1 likes this.
  6. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    TTR - Not sure if your insulting comments are meant for me or the writer of the GTC guide or both, or neither, and luckily I really don’t care. But just for the sake of letting you how far off you are with your comments, the guide I referenced is written by a long time judge who is an acknowledged model-specific expert. Have you ever downloaded and looked at the referenced material? He has documented with descriptions and photos many, many aspects of the 330 GTC’s to a level that no one else has even attempted and it is an invaluable source for those of us who are working on these cars, whether for judging points or just to understand how the cars were put together originally. He is enough of an expert that he was flown out to a restoration shop as a reference source on the restoration of a 330 GTC which later received a 100-point score at a major event. And the member here who was responsible for restoring that car to a 100-point car was gracious enough to send me detailed photos of the area and shared his knowledge with me as opposed to suggesting I go do more homework. And by the way, I’ve done more than enough homework on this and many other topics related to 330 GTC’s, thank you, and I certainly don’t need your opinion about the amount of learning I have done or what you think I am required to do, nor your thoughts about the validity of the referenced source material, especially when you don’t know what you are talking about. Next time, when you clearly have no actual knowledge about a subject, perhaps you might consider just keeping quiet as your postings added nothing of substance to this thread.

miurasv likes this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OK, apparently I ruffled some feathers, but if you don’t mind, I’d like to ask a couple of question and maybe I can learn something.
    What is the (originally used) material and finish of the “ribbed threshold strip” shown in the reference pictures ?
    And is the material and its finish same in all or most GTCs ?

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those rubbers look same like those from the fiat 124 spider from 1967 until 1984

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Romano - if this is true, can u post a link to the part supplier that may have these so we can assess the correctness?

Thank you for info!

readplays likes this.
  10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The material in all GTC's is similar to other fiat and alfa related mid 60's cars - the size , width and length vary as well as the holes for mounting. Generally they are polished aluminum as the finish - some restored cars are having them chromed due to the scratches in the aluminum that impact the overall look and finish. Hi impact visible area when you open the door.

The questioned rubber piece underneath is a vinyl strip, with a beaded edge heat sealed to the end of the vinyl strip.

Unfortunately i did not take pics of this when we were in assembly mode but here are the finish products - this is orig vinyl beaded strip against a refinished chromed door sill plate that the OP was asking about.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus, Zanny1, turbo-joe and 3 others like this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    will try to find out

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just called my distributor for fiat parts and he told me those rubbers you get in a hardware store on a role and you may cut how much you need. but in the 2 big hardwarestores in my area they not have :(

you may go to an upholstery shop or saddler and ask for profile rubber

what about this:
    https://img2.exportersindia.com/product_images/bc-small/2019/10/4102736/p-shaped-rubber-profile-1571896249-5128650.jpeg
    https://cpimg.tistatic.com/06619138/b/4/Car-EPDM-Rubber-Profile.jpg
    http://apgautorubber.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/profile-2.jpg

you may google a little

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The door sill underlayment is not the issue as there are solutions for this, the correct end is unique as it is heat sealed to the underlayment. It has a small bead on the end - that is what you see in the pics. There are some solutions to this as well depending on your level of correctness for your car. I would some mat material that is has a rounded corrugated top layer that once sliced and trimmed, could work.

Oengus likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo

If I/we assume above assessment is correct and others are able/willing to agree with it, referring “them” as chrome, ribbed threshold strip” would be as inaccurate or misleading as referring a “Parking brake” as an “E- or Emergency brake”, latter being a term countless people, even many so-called “car guys” commonly and persistently seem to use both in verbal or written expression.

Or like another, commonly used, misleading term of “chrome” in references to (brushed or polished) stainless steel or (anodized) aluminum exterior moldings found surrounding windshields, rear windows and/or used as coach work adornments on countless (vintage) automobiles.

@fasthound - While my intention wasn’t to insult anybody, I wish to apologize for such unintended consequence.
    My point is/was that using inaccurate/misleading technical terminology, especially in publication intended as an authenticity guide/reference, can also have unintended consequences, considering that at least I can easily imagine some poor soul in the reading that reference description and mistakenly become convinced the chrome, ribbed threshold strip(s)” should be chrome plated rather than just polished (or perhaps anodized ?) aluminum, potentially causing (unexpected ?) deductions/disagreement during experienced/knowledgeable judging* or its aftermath.

* I too used to volunteer as a judge at various concours events for years, but have pretty much decided to stop accepting invitations since 90+% of the time it’s not taken seriously enough.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:

16. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    @TTR - Thanks. Perhaps we were both just having one of those days. No worries.

TTR likes this.