330 GTC | FerrariChat

330 GTC

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pchop, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    I went a friend's place this weekend to check out his newly restored 330 GTC. It's a georgeous car and we went for a nice drive on the windy road in Bedford.

Here're the problems:
    1. The car back fired quite often. especially when it's cold. The Mechanic who told my buddy that this is normal.
    2. I heard knocking...which I know is not normal and probably due to some loose ignition wires. I know the older Ferrari engine was designed for leaded gas, so my buddy did put some lead additives to the gas.

I told him to stop driving the car until I check with F-Chat... Could anyone elaborate on this?

The mechanic who did the restoration is Autotourismo Sport (Danbury, CT). I think John/Steve Masastraiani are the father/son owners.

2. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I have owned my 330GTC for over 20 years and have never had knocking from the unleaded gas. I am guessing by knocking you mean spark knock. Also do not have backfiring problem and have not heard of this as being a problem. Leaking exhaust can cause backfiring but with the knocking it sounds like a timing problem.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Too much advance will cause knock. If the car has a funny hesitation when you start it up that would be an indicator. Backfiring also can be caused by too much advance. I would not be driving such a valuable car when it's noticably out of tune; it can't be doing the engine any good.

Ken

4. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Terry & Ken, thanks so much for the input. I just got off the phone with Luigi from Ferrari of Long Island, and he concurs that it's most likely a timing related issue coupled with non-updated electronic ignition.

Terry: I think the 330 is such a pretty car and I can't believe how comfortable the car is. Hope you'll have many more happy occasions with yours.

5. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I've had a GTC for 24 years and have to agree that the 'mechanic' is talking cobblers! (sorry, 'balls' if that doesn't translate well!)

I am pretty sure that when these cars were built, 105 octane leaded fuel was recommended. I have run mine on 97 octane and, for the past 4 or 5 years, unleaded, and it runs as sweet as a peach!

I have had 'pops and bangs' twice. Once, on over-run (decceleration) when a silencer box developed a hole and once when a plug lead was cracked.

What you need is a guy who knows 60s Ferraris. The GTC is straightforward mechanically and i have to agree with pchop - it's a lovely car (and undervalued in today's market!)

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The so called back fire could be coming from the carbs also. If one carb is acting up or a valve out of spec it might seem like a backfire. My 250 will pop for a while until it gets warmed up, and sometimes will backfire through the carb intermittantly.