330GT Clutch Throwout Bearing | FerrariChat

330GT Clutch Throwout Bearing

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Lowell, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I have a 1966 Ferrari 330GT, whose clutch throwout bearing must be replaced. It is a single row ball bearing.
    Ferrari Technical Letter #62 of Feb. 28, 1967 states that this bearing should be S.K.F. 1812.107.000
    In searching the web, it appears that this bearing is no longer manufactured.
    Anyone know of a correct replacement?

While I am at it, any recommendations for new clutch discs and pressure plates?
    I have heard that some of the re-manufactured items require a much larger clutch pedal force.

2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I bought one (TO brg) from Bill Young, GT Car Parts recently

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Lowell, if the clutch assembly in your 330 GT (Later, Series II ?) is a Borg & Beck 9"-9.5" diaphragm type set-up similar to those in 330 GTC or 365 GTB/4 (Daytona), etc, all parts should be readily available from most (vintage Ferrari) suppliers.

OTOH, I would recommend caution if buying readily available pressure plates or friction discs, as those haven't been made by OEM manufacturer (B & B) or to OEM spec for at least 10-15 years and the old, OEM replacement stock appears to have been depleted long ago, likely due to these having been used in variety of older ('60s & '70s) Ferraris and perhaps many other cars of the same era.

The currently/recently available (new) replacement clutches (discs & pressure plates) seem to feature number of design & specification changes making them less than ideal, or should I say problematic, for some applications, including or at least 365 GTB/4s. Even the thickness of friction material on the (new) discs is already thinner than OEM wear-out specification calls for, not to mention diaphragm geometry or incorrectly machined pressure plate surfaces.

I prefer to use couple of local (to me) clutch rebuilders to recondition OEM components to OEM (or my own) specifications with much better results.

Above comments/recommendations are obviuosly meant mainly for cars intended for real, "as intended"-type driving, not just on & off trailer/transporters or occasional short trips to local C & C appearances, as for these, the readily available new replacement clutch sets may be "good enough(?)".

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Lowell, is it the same bearing as the late 250's. I have a nice used one you are welcome to. There is nothing wrong with it.

john

5. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    John, you are a paragon of generosity!

I don't know if it will fit. Are there any data written on the bearing: Manufacture's name, numbers?

I will try to find out independently.

Thanks, Lowell

6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Lowell, 1812.107.000 is a throw-out bearing number for the Fichtel and Sachs clutch. It cross references to *** 510597 according to my notes, but I have not verified this in hand. If you indeed have a Borg & Beck diaphragm type clutch, try this number SKF 615643C; again I have not verified in hand. Some B&B clutches on 275 era Ferraris had a carbon face ring as the throw-out bearing.

7. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Don't know why the post converted the letters to ***. Should be German brand ***

8. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Must be censoring it because it is misinterpreting the letters as a derogatory term. 6th, 1st and 7th letters of the alphabet. Sorry the German brand of bearing, not the misanthropic term.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    F A G you mean of course?

10. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Yes, thank you for thinking to space the letters

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Lowell, message me your email address and I'll send you a picture along with the measurements. Your email address on file dates to 2007 and I'm not sure if it is still current. Thanks.

john

12. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Looks like a 9"-9.5" Borg & Beck diaphragm set up (you can even read/see "& BECK ..." in the photo).
    See my earlier comments about & availability of replacement parts.