330gtc | FerrariChat

330gtc

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stevetr, Aug 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    As always I'm still looking around at other f-cars (who isn't!) and have just come across a beautiful 1960's 330gtc in Rosso/black in close to concours condition.

Does anyone have any experience with these cars, apparantly this is one of only about 24 rhd made? Price is around £80k.

P.s. don't tell Sue! :)

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Would you get one as a special occasion car(e.g. garage queen) or one to drive regularly? It would be an expensive ornament and I doubt it would be very good to drive(sorry any owners-I'm just guessing).

I guess I'm too young for the ''heritage'' to mean anything to me?

3. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Hi Noony,

It would certainly be to drive, much as I do my TR (which I would keep). Obviously given the age of the car I would treat it differently, but the 330gtc still does 0-60 in 6 secs and tops 150mph so its no slouch. I love all the 60s sports cars, especially the f-cars, most of which are way out on price but this is more reasonable.

I must stress I'm only flying kites at this stage!

Steve

4. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    But won't it handle ''like a truck''?

£80k+the £40k your TR is worth is very nearly F40 money, which is your wanted car, according to you profile.

5. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Is this the one for sale in Petworth? I looked at it a few weeks ago, very nice!

Bernard

6. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Yes that's the one Bernard. Are you considering it?

I haven't been to see it yet but may well do.

Steve

7. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Its about 5 mins from my office, took a look a few weeks ago when driving past, he also had a Boxer on carb's that I was considering.

I love the 60's car's. When I sold my 360 I was thinking about getting a car from this era, but could not really find the right one. In the end decided on another 355 as I could not be with out an F' for too long!

The next one will defo' be a car from this period. The car in Petworth is very smart, has an interesting history but is not what I would call concours. Its well worth a look but in my opinion is priced at the top end for this model in this condition.

If you want any more details or photo’s I’ll happily visit them again and email the results!

Bernard

8. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    That's interesting Bernard. I very much got the impression that it was concours, and hence the top-end price tag. I understood that a £100k resto had been carried out not so long ago! Thanks for the offer of some pics but I really ought to go and see it 'in the flesh' to get a proper idea of condition, particularly as I've only just started looking and need to gather as much info as possible.

What's your own feeling on the various 60s models? There are now only a couple that are accessable in terms of price and the 330gtc seems the best of these. As I say, I'm only at the 'considering it' stage and may end up not doing anything.

Steve

9. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    250GTEs are looking accessible and whilst I'm not in favour of the GTO conversions that are becoming the vogue you do get basically the same bit of history for a fraction of the price.

Surprised that there aren't 250GTO replicas readily available, like the GT40s, and despite not being real I think I might find one tempting. This on the basis that owning a real GTO seems an unrealistic dream.

I keep thinking of Nick Mason paying £37k for his, which seems like a ridiculous sum, but have to remind myself that I had to save up to buy a copy of Dark Side of the Moon at the time.

Steve

10. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Steve,

It depends very much on your interpretation of concours? I believe to describe a car in this condition it should be as new or better than new, like Ray’s 348.

The 330 is very nice but it’s not as new! I’m sure it has had a resto’ but if its recent then its been focused on the paint & interior which are the best features of the car. The engine is clean the underside/chassis is good but not in my opinion concours. It’s a very nice car which I would be very proud to own at the top end of the price range for its condition.

I’m not a big fan of the rep’s especially the GTO’s, I looked at a 250 SWB rebody in Holland 2 years ago. It was a new build and perfect (concours!), that was tempting. It was about £125K. I decided it was not for me, it then took a long time to sell, so even at these prices perhaps they are not that popular?

I’m currently tempted by one of the 250 2+2 cars. With a 4 seater body I can take the family out which would be a bonus!

Check out Tom Yangs web site, there is plenty of info’ including a set by step guide on how to restore this model.

Bernard

11. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Steve,

There were actually 29 RHD 330 GTC's made, with only 27 known S/no's, all were manufactured in 1967 & 1968, I have the full (27 RHD) list of S/No and the build schedule and body no.s too - If your interested ?

Regards,

Seb