Detailing of throttle pedal | FerrariChat

Detailing of throttle pedal

Discussion in '308/328' started by 328PWC, Sep 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    While detailing the interior today, I noticed the wear on the throttle pedal and wanted to know what process or detail product anyone has used to restore the original finish. Thanks in advance for your input and help.

2. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    i use flat black rustoleum and a brush

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Dont do anything.

As an old friend from Germany once said (paraphrased),

"That wear is the DRIVEN car's Badge of Honor."

4. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    You could go the drilled aluminum Ultimate pedals type route. (Not original but very nice looking)

Dave

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #5 PV Dirk, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    If yours is like mine, the paint is worn away to bare metal. Repainting would bring about the same result in the end. You might have it powerder coated which tends to be much harder than paint. However I think any product that is going to be used like it is will show scuffing and wear eventually.

I do so much bare foot driving that mine has a bit of surface rust showing. I hadn't planned on doing anything with mine. Maybe I should clean off the rust and put a coat of wax on there to keep it from rusting. Probably won't.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I do nothing to mine.

I have a drilled aluminum pedal (that came as a package with the other 2 pedals) that I did not install because the gas pedal is ... already metal.

7. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Mine is also worn and I agree it is the sign of a car driven. In addition, if you paint it, it is just going to wear off.

As long as you drive the car regularly, it will never rust because it is constantly being polished.

A side note, I had a motorcycle that the paint had worn off the right side of the gas tank where it rubbed against my leg. I considered painting it but it sort of grew on me and it never rusted (nicely polished all the time).

8. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I got tired of dealing with this issue the night before a show. Finally primed and painted using Wurth's Satin Black (perfect match) and then just slipped a small plastic bag over the pedal and secured it with a rubber band. Easy to remove/replace, and I haven't had a wear issue since...

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #9 Peter, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At least on my throttle pedal, I noticed it was more of a hard, plastic-like coating. I too, was doing cleaning and had gotten tired of the sh!ty looks of the half-worn coating, so decided to pull it out and refinish it.

Good thing I did.

The assembly uses four needle bearings and after 30+ years of use, one didn't roll properly and another was seized altogether! Good thing it didn't damage the shaft. I replaced them all (HK 1210), cleaned and painted the castings and recovered the throttle pedal with a thin strip of rubber for durability - no issues with it and my shoes. I also replaced my clutch and brake pedal covers because of massive amounts of unsightly wear.

Nothing lasts forever...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I think the throttle pedal is something of a no-go area for detailing as it might make it appear that some mileage is trying to be taken off the car.

As for those drilled aluminium things, I just dont get those at all, why anyone would want to fit those to a 3x8 is beyond me.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Funny how tastes vary - I couldn't wait to get the the drilled AL pedal to cover what I saw as a pedal barely worthy of installation on vehicle made with roller skates, an orange crate and 2x4s! :)

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For those that don't like the worn look, IMO the sensible thing to do would be to strip the gas pedal completely down to bare metal and polish it to a uniform finish.

For my car, I just like the look of the aluminum ones.

13. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Powder coated mine when I too cleaned all the carpet fuzz from the bearings, solvent cleaned and re-greased. I believe it to be the original finish. Lasts a very long time.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting ... I guess you don't drive your car often or quickly?.

I do hope you don't put a slippery plastic bag over your brake pedal ...
    Pete

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Seriously?

16. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Seriously, no problem at all. The thin plastic is pulled tight and actually offers better grip over the smooth, factory painted finish.

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Peter's pictures, in post no. 9, are referenced in a new related thread just started.

Thanks - DM

18. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Try painting it black and then applying a piece of that thin transparent film like used to protect the parking lights from stones. It doesn't seem to be slippery (although I'm only thinking about doing it, haven't done it). It would keep the original black color and keep it from wearing off in a few miles, and may not be that noticeable if you are looking for originality.

19. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE
    I used a product on my 308 called 'wing walk compound' ("Aircraft Spruce" carries it.) It is a non-slip black tar like paint with 'grit' added in. We use it in the avaition industry to create a non-slip surface on low wing aircraft near the door. Stuff lasts forever even exposed to the elements. It comes in quart cans which should last you a lifetime. (applies with just a small paint brush)