Alternator installation question? | FerrariChat

Alternator installation question?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Big Daddy, Oct 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I tried to remove the alternator from my '81 GTSi today. I say try, because I could not remove the long mounting bolt do to it running into the oil dipstick tube. It occured to me that a PO might have installed it backwards.

In other words, the long bolt is installed from the back of the alternator and the nut is on the front side of the alternator. I think that maybe the bolt should be installed from the front, with the nut on the back side of the alternator. Then the dipstick tube would not be in the way.

Am I crazy, or is this bolt in backwards? And if it is backwards, is there a way to remove the dipstick tube with the engine still in the car so I can get the bolt out?

It looks to be attached to the block with a large nut, but I don't see a way to get a wrench on the nut. If the alternator was removed I might be able to get a wrench on there, but that brings me to the problem at hand - removing the alternator.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Remove the alt mounting bracket / alt as a unit.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    What you have is correct as far as the way the bolt goes. As has been said, remove the mounting bracket from the block.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I though about that but I didn't think I could get a wrench in there with the alternator still in place. I'll try again. Maybe I need a stubby wrench.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    BD,

Most turn the bolt around for next time, not sure why it is like that maybe an fastener expert will chime in. I also find that saltus wrenches are a real help here, although getting the dip stick tube nut off i think i always use a short adjustable wrench.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    A crows foot on an extention held it still for me.

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    As to the bolt, mine came out but I do not recall from the front or back. The parts cat shows it going in from the back and I WANT to say mine did too. :(

GOOD NEWS, "YES" the dip stick comes out w/o TOOOOOO much effort.

Get a 22mm(IIRC: PLEASE CHECK) open-end wrench and cut it in half. It is MUCH too long to get in there and you have to work by feel from underneath. Then you can get the large nut on the dip stick tube, off.

TIP: Don't confuse the dip stick nut with the union to the block-- EASY TO DO.

8. greggbferrari

greggbferrari Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Gregg Brown
    #8 greggbferrari, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a 27mm on the dipstick gland nut, and yes it's worth it cut up an inexpnesive wrench. Such a PITA that even I remembered to put it back toghether with antiseize.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    #9 Fastcars575, Oct 22, 2011
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you provide more information as to what you mean? I am trying to figure out how to get the long bolt out (the bolt with the green arrow).

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #10 robertgarven, Oct 22, 2011
    You have two options, remove the bracket that the bolt is in, or remove the dipstick, the dipstick tube, which is held onto the engine by a large nut, then the bolt will slide out. I have done both. I ended up putting the bolt on the outside, so it is much easier to take the alternator in and out. I am sure there is some great reason the Italians did it this way, however it is a pain!

Here is a before and after the first pick is the dipstick inner tube which if you ever need to take he oil pan off needs to come out. That is easy once the upper dipstick tube is out you just stick your finger in the hole and pull it out, however for what you are doing you do not need to do this.

I would just take off the bracket which is also in this pic.

Rob

11. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks very much Rob. Hadn't thought about removing the bracket that the bolt is in but I think I'll try that and also turn the bolt around! Many thanks