Find the right Blaupunkt for your year | FerrariChat

Find the right Blaupunkt for your year

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Oct 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's quite tricky finding the right audio equipment for the year of your 3x8. Many came with Blaupunkt units installed and the range is vast. I was searching for dates for units and came across these resources:

It's unlikely that lower end stuff will have been installed in your 3x8. Browsing through the site, I *think* that the lower end stuff is at the top each page, the higher end lower down.

http://users.skynet.be/antique.autoradio/Blaupunkt/Blaup_1/blaup_1.htm

there's another listing here that seems slightly more comprehensive but it includes non-car stuff and is a little less friendly to use:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/m/blaupunkt_d_en_22~year.html

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    the CR 3003 (think thats the model) was VERY popular. I have photographic proof that at least 4 308's had them back in 1982. Look at the two red cars and see in this thread. I took the pictures myself almost 30 years ago.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322953

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll eat my words - that looks like a very basic Blaupunkt. Looks good though. Most Blaupunkts are named after cities. I guess in Europe they may have installed different items.

As many have said, we hardly listen to music in our cars - there's plenty enough coming out behind you.

But I have a Sony unit in mine (circa early 90s) that just looks wrong and it stares at me every time I get in the car... so I'm on the lookout for something that looks better even if doesn't work better.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As I mentioned in the other thread about Blaupunkt, the modern CD players have detachable faces, and look 'blank' when removed, to the casual observer.....

5. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    But when the faces are on, modern units look totally out of place!

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had someone steal an Alpine from one of my cars a few years ago - with the face off. Can you flipping believe that? What the hell??

7. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  9. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Iam sure the 1980. 308gtsi came with the Blaupunkt Berlin with the gooseneck scanner and it was a cassette player I have been aggressively been searching for one for quite sometime if anyone can connect me with one all of the components must line up I will happily pay them $100 cash finders fee- my Email is [email protected]. It’s easly identified with the gooseneck scanner 1980 if you see those 2 together chances are Yao have she right one ; if you can get an email or a phone number I’d be very great full also ———-Greg
    !

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It may have been dealer installed in the year of delivery but these LCD radios always look out of place in a 308 to me. The styling is simply too modern compared to the rest of the car. The design cycle on cars is much longer than in radio equipment. For me, car radios produced 5-10 years earlier look a lot better in the context of a 308's controls & switchgear. The one you have there would suit a 328 & 348 better.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Are you joking?

13. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

perfectly period correct !

14. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Were stereos a dealer or importer option? In other words is there really a correct radio other than a period correct radio? Whatever the local dealer decided to offer or did the importer add them all standard?

15. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not at all. Look at the styling & think about the design cycle for these two items. It may be period correct in concourse circles but it certainly isn't in aesthetic design terms.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You should write your complaints to Ferrari S.p.A. in Maranello, as that is how the car was sold in 1983, and in 1983 every good radio had a digital display

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It isn't a complaint Alberto, it's a design observation. What is the sketch-design-production lifecycle of the 308 compared to that of a typical Blaupunkt unit? What are the cabin switchgear components made of in the 308 and how do they look? Compare these to after market car radio units produced in the 60s, 70s & 80s. And now compare them to the microswitches & levers in the 328 & 348 etc. These things are pretty obvious if you look at the car with your eyes rather than stare at the reference manuals, build sheets & dealer receipts.

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    From solely an aesthetic perspective, I agree. The period correct Blaupunkts are pretty angular compared to all the circles in the 308 cockpit; the "mouse ear" switches, the black-with-chrome-bezel gauges, etc. Ironically, head units from just a few years ago matched well (now head units are going back again to harder edge designs).

I completely understand using a period correct radio though. It integrates into the car in a different way (AND you can play all your Engelbert Humperdinck cassettes again!).

vaccarella likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Paul, you started this thread with the title "Find the right Blaupunkt for your year". That is the right Blaupunkt for late 1983: what else? Maybe you don't know that most 1983 -1984 Ferrari 308 (Italian Market) had Pioneer KE-5300 Radio Cassette Player. That is a silver radio much more angular than that Blaupunkt: Some dealers preferred the Blaupunkt as it was at least Black like the 308 dashboard and a bit less angular than the Pioneer... Do a search with " Pioneer KE-5300" and then you will understand what I'm talking about. And then, last but not least, that's a 208 turbo dashboard: The 208 turbo had the turbocharger pressure gauge, so it hadn't anymore the clock among the instruments. You replaced it with the radio digital Clock

20. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What else, Albert, is aesthetics and design processes not paperwork. Brian understands. If you look at a typical US car from the 50s & 60s where the manufacturer actually installed the radio, the fit is perfect. The design is homogeneous. Because the radio was sketched as part of the whole car's styling. The 308 radio is an aftermarket afterthought. Car sketched in the late 60s, radio plucked from what was on the shelf in the late 70s/early 80s. The radios were designed about a decade after the car & it shows.

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think I wasted my time showing you which Blaupunkt radio is correct for a 1983-1984 308.

Rifledriver likes this.
  22. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    "Correct" for concourse pedantry can be a very different thing to design integrity.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Its a great Blaupunkt resource, many of the units were low volume and are quite scarce. Fyi, the Blaupunkt cassette radios can easily be wired for an Mp3 jack, so you can get period correct looks with a modern function.

24. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Sound like hell though. At least mine did.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Are either of these what you are referring to?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login