Door Jamb Switch Reborn | FerrariChat

Door Jamb Switch Reborn

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi2011

Tifosi2011 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a possible solution to anyone who needs to replace their door jamb switch(es). I read many older posts concerning this dilema, and apperantly these are NLA. Because I'm stubborn, I came up with this plan.
    I managed to reconstruct my switches with these materials;
    balsa wood
    a hardwood dowel
    Gorilla glue
    metal tabs
    wire fasteners
    dremel tool and appropriate bits
    patience...just a little.

*if I can do this, anyone can. I hope my tutorial is straightforward and easily comprehendable. Enjoy!

Step 1: Disassemble old switch. Take note of the first photo. The only parts that need to be saved are the ones photographed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
    Step 2: Cut balsa wood as shown. I purchased balsa wood at a local craft store. I bought wood that was close in size to the original pin that was used in the switch. It is very important to cut as close to the original length of the white plug as possible. The further we go in the surgery, you'll understand.

3. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
    Step 3: Cutting the dowel. The length of the cut is measured by the skinny part of the original. This is encased by the chassis and the spring. But please note, this is not balsa wood, but in fact hardwood. Using anything else would not work because of the two small cuts that need to be made in step 4. Use a Dremel with the appropriate saw. See photo. Dont put Dremel away as you will need it in the next step.

4. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
  5. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
    Step 5: Glueing the wood
    Remove the metal tab from the dowel to finish this next step.Using the Gorilla Glue, carefully drop a small amount on one piece. Then using a vise, apply pressure to form one piece. Follow the instructions on the bottle for optimal results. While the glue sets, bend the metal tab. See attached second photo.

6. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 Tifosi2011, Oct 16, 2011
    Step 6: Wire attachment
    Now don't rush the curing time of the glue. 30 minutes would be a safe estimate before removing the wood from the vise. While it's still curing, attach 14 AWG wire as shown in the first photo. The second photo shows you what you have accomplished so far.

7. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Tifosi2011, Oct 17, 2011
    Step 7: Assembly
    Place the spring over top of the skinny part of the plunger. The plunger is what we'll call the new part we fabricated out of wood. When placing the spring on the plunger, make sure the smaller opening is facing the base of the plunger, while the larger opening is facing the base of the chassis. Next, while putting pressure on the plunger, attach the metal tab in the small cuts on the plunger. This will now hold the unit together as one piece. Now cut the excess wire with snippers. Then slide your wire fastener over the exposed cut wire and crimp securely.

8. Tifosi2011

Apr 3, 2011
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    #8 Tifosi2011, Oct 17, 2011
    Step 8: Preparing the car.
    Go over to your car and prepare the door jamb. But, before you cut any of the wires, disconnect the battery. Attach the male wire fasteners to the two exposed wires that protrude from the jamb. This makes the reintroduction of your new switches easy. The upper wire is for the red door light that is on the leading edge of the door. The lower wire is for the buzzer that activates whenever the door is open when the car is either runnning, or if the keys are left in the ACC position. Now place your newly renovated swithes on the door jamb plate. Attach the male wire fasteners to the rear of your new switches. And finally, screw plate back into the vehicle. Reconnect the battery and admire your handy work. The final step is to paint the plunger white. Thanks for reading. Take care, and happy motoring.

9. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #9 Paul_308, Oct 17, 2011
    While the door jamb switches are technically NLA, from time to time they seem to appear on eBay. In past years I scarped (technical term) this photo from 5iveFifty.com who has a dry (technical term) web site. If someone is desperate, they might contact them for availability.

Nice fix btw

10. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a couple of these switches with the spade connector broken off the back. Fixable or use for spare parts. Free to good home. :)

11. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Home found. :)