How do you remove the pulley on the water pump? | FerrariChat

How do you remove the pulley on the water pump?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fastcars575, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    I am replacing the water pump on my 1978 308. What is the trick to taking off the pulley on the old pump. I have tried using the a vice to keep the impeller from turning while using a pry bar with a socket on the pulley nut and it won't budge. Didn't want to force it on the possibility that there was some trick to it. Any suggestions from those of you who have done it before?

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I think I put a leather oil filter strap wrench round the wheel of mine to hold it when I did it. Best I can suggest is soak it in some penetrating fluid & get an impact gun onto it if you can whilst finding some way to hold the wheel.

Torquing it up is a similar problem!

3. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    I bought an air impact wrench for $29. It worked like a charm on the water pump pulley nut. As the Brits say, the pump was "in situ" at the time.

4. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks guys. Now that I know its going to take some real muscle I'll get out the big guns and get after it.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And If you don't have an air compressor, you can use the electric impact wrench.

6. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Are you going to rebuild your own water pump or have it rebuilt or buy new?

When I did my water pump I called The Flying Dutchman before attempting to remove the pulley. He told me NOT to remove the pulley as they break easy and difficult to get, just send the complete assembly.

If you are buying a new pump, then be carefull removing the pulley. I broke a crank pulley out of my Toyota pickup long time ago, expensive mistake.

Cheers,

7. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #7 Fairview, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    It is not the muscle that makes the difference, it is the quick zap of the impact wrench that spins the nut off. You just can't do that by hand. And once you have the nut off, the pulley should wiggle off by hand, and if not, use an appropriately sized gear puller.

8. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    An impact wrench is the way to go and as noted, it is not the power that matters.

It also sounds like it could use some penetrating oil as well. Let it soak and then give it a go.

I typically hold the pulley with my hand and then use the impact wrench. The short action of the impact wrench means that you can usually hold the part by hand. I also think it minimizes the risk of damaging the treads if they are frozen.

I would never use an impact wrench to install it. Torque wrench is the only way to go but I am sure most of you already know this.

9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #9 350HPMondial, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Fastcars575

Fastcars575 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion Edwardo!

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #11 mustardfj40, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    To remove mine, I used an air impact IR wrench, invest in air tools if you spend serious time working on car. It makes things much easier.