Today’s Obscure Maintenance Requirement – Throttle Pedal Lubrication! | FerrariChat

Today’s Obscure Maintenance Requirement – Throttle Pedal Lubrication!

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Oct 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Today’s Obscure Maintenance Requirement – Throttle Pedal Lubrication!

One of the reasons why I continue to visit this website over the years is that it seems like there’s always some new small quirk to learn from our fellow owners about our cars.

For a number of years I’ve noted that my throttle pedal has a minor “squeak” noise when depressed to a certain point, near its mid-travel. Nothing too serious, I simply chalked it up to one of those random quirks associated with a 30+ year old car and did not dwell upon it.

Then, a month or so ago I happened to note this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338038

The pictures which accompanied this thread showed a series of roller bearings associated with the throttle pedal mechanism. Who knew these bearings were there?

Over the past weekend I unfastened the under chassis access panel plate and then removed the throttle pedal mechanism. Disassembly of the mechanism on the work bench showed it to be filled with dirt (understandable, given its location). However, the most important observation was that each of the four (4) roller bearings was bone dry.

A thorough cleaning, fresh lubrication, and reassembly have set this one to right, and as expected, no more squeaks. Sorry, no pictures to post of my R&R work, but the pics in the aforementioned thread already show the tale quite well. And, most important, the pedal mechanism now moves MUCH easier than ever before.

Several overall comments:

a) I’d be willing to bet that very few owners have actually done this easy maintenance project. And I’d also bet that almost all of you have throttle mechanisms which are dry, binding, and are well overdue to be lubricated like mine was.

b) Major credit due to Ferrari for designing this mechanism to accept roller bearings in the first place. I was –very- surprised when I first saw the pictures in the old thread noted above, as I certainly would have anticipated that some simple sleeve bearings would have been used here, rather than the more expensive (relatively speaking) roller bearings.

c) Thanks to the easy access from the underside via the removable access plate, this is an easy one-hour job, start to finish, and one which is quite self-satisfying to put right.

So, if you are reading this and you’ve never done any throttle pedal maintenance work ( … a pretty fair bet, I’d suppose), be certain to add this small project to your winter “To Do” list!

Thanks and Cheers - DM

2. pmichaelg

pmichaelg Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Excellent post - thanks for sharing. I have added this to my winter "to do" list. :)

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Did it earlier in the year on my 328 - much better afterwards.

May sound odd, but get in your car & take yr shoe off & work the throttle peddle with a bare foot. You will feel if its sticky (much more so than you can with a shoe on).

4. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    If the throttle pedal is on needle bearings what about the brake and clutch pedals? My car developed a squeek in the clutch pedal which seems to come and go. I haven't really looked into it yet.

5. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I had my guy have a look at my throttle and clutch, my throttle used to stick and the clutch squeaks he has sorted the throttle but told me I need a new part for the clutch.