308 Distributor Spline O-rings Proper Size? | FerrariChat

308 Distributor Spline O-rings Proper Size?

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, Nov 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #1 robertgarven, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Friends,

I just finished a 2 year service on my car and everything is running great, just have a few oil leaks I am trying to track down. One seems to be from my front bank distributor spline. Below is a few of the o-rings I have purchased. It would be funny if it were not so confusing. I ended up buying the one closest to the OEM one at my local hard ware store. Will take the unit off this weekend to have a look, but just wanted to post this to see what some of the experts thing and what some are using. I wish I ere a rubber engineer, not sure how big a one i can use before it fails like the UFI oil filter debacle.........

BTW my rear bank seems OK so hopefully I just have a bad o-ring. That is the cam I had worked on but can't see how I could have damage the inner sealing surface.....

Thanks of any advice and or suggestions,

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. viphoto

viphoto Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #2 viphoto, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Rob
    I just had the same problem but with the rear one. I bought a couple of o-rings from GT Parts and they looked closer to your original than any of the ones in the photo. So far so good as it seems to have stopped my leak. Bill mentioned it was also Nitrile. Looks like their internal part number was 8601102 95 cents each
    As best I can measure O.D.14.34 mm Thickness about 1.72 mm

Cheers

3. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    #3 The Kook Abides, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    ...they are a strange size. I don't know what Superformance is thinking. They sent me that same o-ring. Way too big.

I found one in the "green" o-ring selection from Harbor Freight that was real close, but not perfect. http://www.harborfreight.com/205-piece-hnbr-o-ring-kit-67644.html

Patrick Ottis is setting up my distributors on his machine and said he would put some new o-rings on it when he returns them.

We'll see what they look like.

4. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Good call on the setup

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You want to get the original one. The ones you show don't look right. And good luck with the oil leak. My GT4 never stopped leaking.

6. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    PM me
    I think I have a pair that came with my valve cover gaskets I got this summer. I will check when I get home. i cars don't use them so you can have them.

7. spgribben007

spgribben007 Karting

Nov 11, 2010
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve Gribben
    You wouldn't have any photos of your front and/or rear bank distributor splines? I too have an oil leak (somewhere) and would appreciate a starting point...

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Rob, if you can measure the O ring I can check my stock of rings. I've got a stock of Ferrari O rings and would most likely have the one you need.

O ring sizing is based on the gland and type of connection. If I have some free time later tonight I'll go thru the Parker book and see what it comes up with too.

9. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #9 Fairview, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve,

It took me a few tries to get the distributor area leaks stopped on my car. The o rings are one spot that can leak, easy enough to replace if you get the right ones. Also, there is a large oil seal around the camshaft at the distributor end. Easy enough to replace as there is a carrier that can be removed which contains the oil seal. And there is a triangular shape gasket that is a prime suspect for leaking. It is the one the carrier seals against.

Attached are a couple photos for clarification.

Best of luck, Jeff

p.s. I am happy to report that the annoying drip of oil onto the exhaust system, complete with tendrils of smoke rising up from the engine lid louvers at stoplights, has now been resolved.

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    based on this, I checked my stock. I have that size, it's also a parker size 2-013.

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks all I bought some today from GT. I am wondering if putting some kind of grease on it might help seal?

12. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    I put that silicone grease that came with the Energy Suspension bushings on mine. They were not leaking. I don't know if it makes a difference, but nothing seems to cut that grease.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I just dont want anything to plug up the cam lobe holes.....

14. spgribben007

spgribben007 Karting

Nov 11, 2010
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve Gribben
    Thanks Jeff...