348 1-4 cylinder bank shut down. Ideas? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 1-4 cylinder bank shut down. Ideas?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    4114 - TDC control unit recognition. According to my book these look the same as what we typically call the CPS or crank position sensor (you smart guys chime in here as nec.) I am looking at my WSM, page 7 re:TDC and engine revs sensor, and it shows the same ones that I call the cps.

This is pretty common but hard to get to - the sensors get dirty and/or the wires fray - I will fax the pages to you in the morning unless someone can do it faster.

Also, you need to make sure there aren't other codes - so after you have determined 4114, then press again for 2.5<n<5 seconds, and see if there is another code that comes up. You need to do this until you get back to the 4114 again and you will know you have all of the codes.

In theory, you are then supposed to be able to clear the codes by holding the button down for longer than 10 seconds, but that hasn't worked on mine previously.

Cheers
    Kevin

2. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Kevin, I'm rolling into Bobileff's shop tomorrow after exchanging a couple emails with him tonight. Great guy, great quality work, great attention to detail.

Question - where do I get a WSM? I want codes, man!
    Rick

3. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Had the same problem when I bought my car. Check engine light 1-4, bad O@ sensor. My car never lost power though. $170 new from dealer. just paid to get it fix as I lack the mechanical skills or time to change myself.
    Mike

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here you go.

When the "check engine" light comes on it means that some error has gone on with the opperation of the engine that the Engine Control Unit (ECU) has recognised. The ECU will then store the code/s in it's memory. Here are the steps for pulling the error codes from the 348 ecu's.

1) Remove the covers behind the seats so that you have access to the ecu's.

2) Place the key in the ignition and turn it to the (on) position, but do not start the car. You will see the lights on the instrument panel illuminated.

For those of you that have already pulled the codes from your car, you have noticed that the "TDC sensor"/crank possition sensor error code comes up. When you pull the code/s as I have instructed in step #2 you will always get this code, even if there is nothing wrong with the TDC sensor. The reason is because the sensor gets it's reading from magnetic signals coming off of the crank pully as the engine is turning over. When the engine is not turning over the sensor/s are not getting the signals from the pully, and thus the ecu thinks that there is something wrong with the sensor/s. So that is why you will always get the TDC sensor code when you pull the engine codes with the engine off. To avoid getting this false signal do the following:

#2a) Make sure that the transmission is not in gear. Now start the engine, and let the car idle. Wait for all the engine lights to turn off, then proceede to step #3.

3) Push and hold down the button, located next to the ecu, for 5 seconds, then release it. When you are holding down the button, you now should see the check engine light illuminate for the ecu you are on. (check engine 1/4 or 5/8)

4) When you let go of the button you will see a pause then a long flash for 2 and 1/2 seconds, pause with no flash for 2 and 1/2 seconds, then begin the flashes of the engine codes. The long flash indicates the begining and end of the code. Then it repeats the same code, until you move on to the next code.

5) Each number of the code is flashed for 1/2 second followed buy a pause then the next number in the codes is flashed. For example you will get the long flash indicating that the code will start, a pause, three flashes, pause, two flashes, pause, one flash, pause, four flashes, pause, a long flash indicating the code is finished. If this were the series of short flashes you got, the code would be 3214.

6) After you pull a code you will notice that it just keeps repeating. To get to the next code what you want to do is wait until the long flash comes on after the code. When the long flash comes on you want to hold down the button for the whole flash and let go of it in the middle of the pause. You should then see the check engine light give you another long flash to indicate the begining of the next code.

7) When the last codes has been pulled, you will get nothing but long flashes telling you that there are no more stored codes.

8) Now that all the codes have been pulled you will want to clear the ecu of the stored codes. When the ecu's is giving nothing but long flashes, you need to push and hold down the button for 10 seconds to clear out the old codes.

9) If needed, repeat the process for the other ecu.

Happy code pulling.

5. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Thank you! Great stuff.