348 alternator removal & rebuild | Page 11 | FerrariChat

348 alternator removal & rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Mar 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    Since you are in the bay area, I highly recommend bringing your alternator to Rite Way Electric, 261-6th St. They will test it for free and they can rebuild in one day just like new. They have been around a long time and service the dealerships including Ferrari and they won't charge you the F-tax.

Joe

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hello my friend,

Not a problem. Take care and enjoy.

Cheers Pap

3. cm_d

cm_d Rookie

Sep 3, 2011
    Hi again,

I tried to fit the RN-10 to my 355 alternator, but it was too large(same problem as Graham? earlier on in the tread.

I guess I'll try the RN-02, unless anyone has had the same problem, and knows exactly which one fits the '99 M5.2?

Is there a trick to removing the lower, spring loaded alternator bolt? I just can't seem to get mine out, and had to change the brushes, rectifier and regulator in situ.

In addition to that I struggled with getting the belt back in, even with the tensioner in the lowest position. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
    Carl

4. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    Ernie, great pictures and wealth of info. My 95 spider let me know I had a problem at a Mississippi euro car fest last weekend. I had it flat towed back to Memphis; 220 miles for $475. I was hoping the belt broke, even though there was no sign of such an event.
    Car is up on my lift now and I thought I would check for help and I again found a link to Ferrari Chat and this thread on the my348.com site. I appreciate your effort in documenting the work you've done. It must be hard to believe this started almost 10 years ago. Anyway, enough talk, thanks again, back to work getting it out.

5. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    Brought it to 2 alternator/starter repair shops in Memphis. First one couldn't get the parts, at least that's what they said. The second shop "Dave's armature service" had it fixed in one day for $75 plus tax.
    He replaced the shorted rotor and bad regulator. The brushes and rectifier were fine and we're not replaced. Note to everyone is that the rotor was the hold up. I believe he found one from a Toyota truck that was the same. This shows that a little foot work can save a bunch of money. Hope this helps the next guy.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sweet!

Any part number for the Toyota truck rotor?

7. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    My son picked it up. I will give them a call and try to see if they will give me the details.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perfect. We can add it to the 348 parts list.

9. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    The car runs great after I put the alternator back in. I called the shop back up and he told me the rotor was NOS for a Honda, but that's it. He didn't have time to go back and see exactly which one.
    I know it's not much help, but at least they can cross reference the parts and repair it for a reasonable cost.

10. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Subscribing to this as my nippD alternator I believe is on the fritz as battery light just came in last night.

Hope I can still find the parts to rebuild her. I like the sound of $100 and a couple hours of my time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #261 ernie, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

The Denso regulator should be pretty easy to find.

12. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    concernant les composants que j'ai changé dans mon Denso 101211-5070 90A
    Porte balais pour alternateur DENSO 1002103381 référence Mikatec : CAO133673 tarif 5.66€ TTC
    Bague collectrice pour alternateur DELCO 3493824 référence Mikatec : CAO230090W tarif 7.28€ TTC
    Régulateur d'alternateur pour MOBILETRON VRH2005-4A référence Mikatec : CAO131459 tarif 24.49€ TTC
    Roulement 6202 2RS C3 pour alternateur Bosch référence Mikatec : ATE700654 tarif 7.72€ TTC
    Port Colissimo point relais France 4.90€ TTC

13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Anyone have a site for the brushes? I didn't see any part numbers in the thread and since I have 64k on mine... if I'm gonna tear her apart.. I might as well do it all while I'm in there..

Have the NipDenso 90a in my 93.

This site is kaput http://www.wai-wetherill.com/product...um=1-1410-01ND

Thanks.

14. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
  15. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    #265 dahveedem, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So consolidating a couple of earlier posts with pics and some wrench / tool sizes.

The first Pic is from Ernie's car and if you notice the cover has the 3 elongated slots above the regulator. From the thread this particular version of the Denso Alternator will take the RN-02 or the RN-10 Rectifier.

The pic of the silver colored cover is similar to what is on my '93 Speciale. It only has the 2 stubby holes above the regulator.

Based on the thread - this one will only fit the RN-04 Rectifier.

It looks like VRH2005-4A (the regulator works for both)

Someone double check my thoughts on this...

Also... in my case I needed the following tools.

17 MM open Ended Wrench (2) --- one with a socketing end. Tensioner bolt, Bracket nuts
    13 MM open end wrench for the power line to the alternator
    5/16 Allen wrench for the upper Alternator bracket mount
    10mm socket for the ground nut the wire to chassis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David

Looks like the new site is Wai Parts

or simply waiglobal.com... but it doesn't look like you can buy from them

anyone able to source the RN-04 (103mm version)?

17. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Dahveedem, quelle référence denso 101211-5071 ou 5070

18. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    #268 dahveedem, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    my alternator all cleaned up.
    I took it to a local shop when I was having difficulty finding the parts to see if they could source them... ended up getting mine in so we used my parts.

RN-04 Rectifier.
    VRH2005-4A Regulator

They do this stuff every day so I figured I'd let them put it all together and clean it up. The price was worth it as they disassembled the entire thing, cleaned it and put it back. (approx $100). So total price was around $150 with parts.

I did end up having a slight problem where I had to dremel out some of the exterior housing to get the main plug in place. Which meant I got extra practice wrenching the darn thing out to get a dremel on her. Naturally I confirmed the regulator was the same size.. but that stupid housing. Even tried adjusting the housing a bit.. no go. The dremel did the trick.

VALUE ADD HERE:
    An interesting tip that I'm not sure I've seen anywhere else. The correct belt in my case (apologies I don't have the part# handy) always seemed super tight and impossible to get on so I had used a larger belt in the past and ended up breaking 2 (yes two) alternator mounts getting it tight enough.

So here's the TIP:
    After you get the alternator installed on the lower pivot mount... leave the top bolt out. Get your belt on the alternator pulley, get it around the tensioner, now push/pivot the alternator up past the top bolt mount. Doing this you'll find you have just enough play in the belt to get it over the main pulley. Then Voila! let it rest and you can get the top bolt in and tightened up.

Appreciate all the brotherhood's help in getting this issue sorted.

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  20. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    So...my rebuild lasted ~ 1 year... alternator sh*t the bed again today.

Other ideas what could cause this? Gonna rebuild her again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've posted about this before...the aftermarket Regitar, made in China parts suck. You will need to source the factory ND parts. I am not sure where they can be obtained. Both myself and aeroengineman had failures using the recommended parts in the 355 alternator thread (same brands recommended here)

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #272 ernie, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    The very first time I had my alternator rebuilt it had the Transpo regulator, and like you it failed.
    Currently is still have the the USI regulator, and RN02 Regitar rectifier I used for the rebuild 11 years ago.

I have a Denso regulator sitting in the box ready for when it needs to get rebuilt again.

How do the brushes and slip ring look?

23. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    They look good. But i put in an rn-04 not 2.
    Every where i go looking for the denso regulator it only shows the da*n transpo.

Any one actually find it?

Also... interesting.. yesterday had it tested and they used a connector for an 87 toyota celica

I gotta find that denso regulator

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

f355spider likes this.
  24. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Reference De votre denso ?

25. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    GTO Joe, Qavion and dahveedem like this.