348 alternator removal & rebuild | Page 4 | FerrariChat

348 alternator removal & rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Mar 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ernie:

I take it you didn't do anything with the stator and brushes? If you do, could you post the part numbers for those also? Don't need this yet, but probably will on the Mondial.

Thanks,

Art

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I didn't need to replace them Art. My old brushes were just fine, and so was the stator. But even if I need the stator it would have been around $35, same deal IF I needed the rotor, and the brushes $10 if that.

Here is the link for the guys with all the goodies. :D http://www.holcombedirect.com/ Once on that page you will want to select "alternators" and then find your brand, in this case Nippondenso. The individual parts are listed under "components".

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    So what is the concensus from the gang on regulators, USI or Regitar? I am planning some preventive maintenance on my alternator (and that of a couple friends 355's as well). I was planning to just order from Holcombe and be done with it. Is it worth the extra effort to seek out the USI part? From the sounds of it, the Regitar is giving equally good service over the oem Transpo, which seems to be the weak link in everyone's alternator failures.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Having to tap the gas pedal to get the batt light to go out is perfectly normal on the 308/328 series, so no worries there. Search the archives for details on why it does that, but it is normal. The squeal, is sort of normal, in that many of them do it. You probably need to replace the belt, it has likely glazed up. You might also need to clean the pully surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad.

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Mine has been running fine since the rebuild. No jumping tach, no battery light coming on, nothing, just running like a champ. Like I said in the first post of this thread, the supplier to the alternator shop that I bought my parts from suggested the USI regulator. What I like about the USI regulator is that you can see (look at the side by side pics on page 2) what appears to be two extra ground wires soldered to it. Now I don't know what the Regitar regulator looks like on the back side, but you can see on the side by side pics I posted that the junked Transpo regulator doesn't have them. I suspect that you would be just fine with the Regitar regulator. Besides it only costs $11, so order away.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks Ernie. I just ordered three sets from Holcombe of the Regitar brand. I like the feedback from the 355 thread that the output increased from 140amps to 160amps. Not a bad thing. ;)

Regards,
    Dave

7. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Gentlemen.

I've been studying Ernies thread and I assume I've got the same problem,
    here's a copy of my question posted on another forum:

I went out for a ride tonight with a fellow 348 owner

After about 30 min, the battery lamp came on + the ABS indicator lamp,
    I pulled over and all my lights went out...head, dash, rear.....I let the car idling for about 2-3 min before it stoped by itself....

I then called my forthcoming wife and asked her to bring the Volvo and some jump cables.

After about 10 min, the car started (withOUT any form for aid) so I took off at once,
    then after about 1500 yards, both the lamps came back on, and the car stoped after about another
    5-700 yards.
    Luckely Merete was following me and we had to jumpstart the car after 2-3 min of charging...
    drove another 2000 yards before we had to do the same procedure again... then finally I managed to
    drive my baby back home and into the garage which she's now charging...

Now, I HOPE it's just a crappy battery which needs replacement, but I need to ask you guys if you know what the problem might be.
    Please help me.

I realise it couldnt be the battery but the alternator...
    So what do you think guys?? could it be the same problem??
    IF so, Ernie posted some great links in post nr.52 in this thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136776652&postcount=52
    but link second dosent seem to give me anything, I need more info on the Regulator.
    The third link is great, it tells me what Rectifier I'd need.

But what about the Brushes?????? do you think it would be wise to replace them too (whilst Im in there)
    if someone know where I can find some new brushes PLEASE link them on here.

Right, now for the Million Dollar question....Will these parts fit on a EUROPEAN car??? (90' 348TB)
    (I cant really imagine why they should'NT, but I just wanna be sure)

@Ernie (or anyone)
    Is this the nut that tighten the belt??? http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136541749&postcount=6
    Instead of the good old crow-bar-bending :D:D
    And just how tight does the belt have to be???

Help a Brother guys....our wedding is 3 weeks away and I need the car ready by then :D:D

Cheers
    Paul

8. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    Hi,

at first please check the type of your alternator, if your car is build 1990 it maybe not the Nippondenso but the Delco type, except your car was updated. There are also some useful threads about rebuilding this one.

Good luck and regards, Georg

9. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Cheers George.

I'll pull out the alternator tomorrow so maybe I'll be able to see what type it is.
    Should the type specifications be printed on the alternator?

10. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    A up paul, theres no big mystery with alternators, in fact i think they are all pretty standard rectifiers and regulators and if your cars not done too many miles the coils probably ok. I had mine rectifier replaced and a few other bits for just 70 quid.Any alternator place should have the internal parts i think, good luck :D

11. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Thanx Simon.
    According to my history on my car, the coils were replaced in 04....dont know the KM's on the car when it was done.
    So I hope this will be like a walk in the park to fix.

I just wait for some answers from my previous post. :)

12. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I meant the magneto coil in the alternator Paul :D

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I would remove the battery first mate and get it load tested to make sure it is ok. :):)

Its easier to remove that, rather than the alternator. If the battery passes the test, then its more than likely an alternator issue. :):)

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #89 ernie, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
    Yes!

I forgot to mention that in my reply to your pm. I also did tell you that you should replace the brushes if you need to rebuild yours. Especially if it has never been opened.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #90 ernie, Jun 7, 2008
    It is pretty easy to tell which is which.

The short and easy.

Delco - alternator cooling fan on the out side

Nippondenso - alternator cooling fan on the inside

Mine is the Nippondenso, so if yours looks like mine you know what you have.

Oh yeah, and the parts will work on the Euro cars, seeing as the Nippondenso is Japanese, and the Delco is American. ;)

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The alternator is pretty easy to take out too. I can have it out in 30 minutes.

Bets, bets, bets anyone. :D :D :D

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I have no doubt it can be done in 30 mins. :D:D

At least with the battery, you can save 10 mins by not having to jack the car up and place stands under it. :p:p

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #93 ernie, Jun 7, 2008
    Errrrrr........

You still need to jack the rear of the car up. You need to remove the left rear wheel, the lower rear well liner, THEN you can get to the battery to remove it.

That is unless you are gonna try a weasel it out from the top.

:p Back at ya :D

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You BET your ass thats the way I was talking about!! :D:D

F*ck that removing the battery from underneath sh*t!! :p:p

20. kingsdare

kingsdare Karting

Oct 24, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    David King
    If it's the Delco alternator, the part number is 7973603 at www.partsamerica.com Sells for 68.99 plus a $6.00 core charge. Direct replacement and rated at 105 amps. I didn't have to change a thing.

I kept my old alternator and rebuilt it with all of the high quality parts, but the partsamerica alternator is still working great after two years. So now I have a spare on hand if it ever gives up.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats cheap!! :):)

22. kingsdare

kingsdare Karting

Oct 24, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    David King
    Yeah I know, I'm happy with it! :D

23. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

24. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Got an interesting PM from Ernie this morning: :)

1) Depending on what years your car is it could be a problem with the positive bullet connector that runs from the starter to the battery. It is located under the air filter box. The later cars had the battery relocated to the front right wheel well so they don't have the bullet connectors. If you have the bullet connector I would make sure that the connector is clean and making good contact. They just plug/unplug into one another. If they lose contact the battery will not be getting the charge it needs, nor will the electric system. I have no idea why Ferrari decided to route the wiring this way? Most cars can run with the battery fully disconnected once the engine has been started. But not our cars. I finally just put in solid cables for both the positive and negative to get rid of the stupid bullet connectors once and for all. Anyway, that is the first thing you should check.

My car is a '90, witch means the battery are located at the rear of the car.
    I was unaware about the positive bullet connector thing, so I'll deffo look into that today...:)
    so let's hope and pray it's just some bad connection.
    My black battery cable (negative/ground) looks rather messy, it's still in one peice but some of the
    protection plastic/rubber has been torn off during the years, I'll take some pics to show you guys.
    I HAVE however placed an order for a new NEG cable from the UK, still havent heard from the seller if
    he have it in stock or not.

IF it's a Alternator issue, then I'm sure I can get the parts I need for a rather cheap buck, and like
    Ernie told me, I should deffo replace the Brushes as well, so I'm sure some of you guys can help me find the
    correct Brushes I'd need.

Thanx alto guys for your assictance...so far ;)
    I'll keep you posted....

@Pap m8.
    There is no way in hell I'm gonna remove the battery from above :D:D:D

25. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    #100 Gimme Fuel, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
    Allright,
    Here's an update, today I removed the battery, cleaned it "posts"
    along with the cables.
    I then removed the entire air filter box which Ernie mentioned (14 screws)
    This gave me the access to the bullet connector which was placed right under the air filter box,
    I then cleaned the connectors and sprayed them with electro spray
    (I also changed my oil filter whilst I were under there)
    And I must agree with Ernie, this connector is probably the lamest thing on the 348,
    why not just make it in one peice?? from the battery to the starter?? :confused:

Anyway, after I've put everything back together I took the car for a test drive, it started
    out well, but after about 30 min the BATTERY lamp came back on, only this time the ABS indicator
    did not lid.:confused:
    The lights and instrument panel also went out, so I hurry back home to my garage.
    there was not much power left on the battery, but the funny thing is, 30 minutes later
    I turned on the ignition and everything worked fine, dash, headlights everything....
    it seems like the car had somehow managed to re-charge the battery by it self.....HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???:confused:

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to remove the alternator anyway so I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow, then I'll bring
    it to a work shop and see if they can run a test it for me in a bench.