348 alternator removal & rebuild | Page 9 | FerrariChat

348 alternator removal & rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Mar 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you want to replace the Delco with a Nippondenso. It's not a straight swap - there is a kit with new mounting brackets, alternator belt, wiring, pulley, etc. in order to do the swap. The $5,000 alternator mentioned earlier in this thread is in fact the entire "kit" to upgrade it. Just rebuild the Delco - properly rebuilt with heavy duty parts, it should last many years.

2. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    All fixed, upgraded components, same day service, $41. Back in the car (mosquitos got too bad so I will drop her off the jack stands tomorrow). Gotta love it! Thanks again!

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    You might want to invest the $134 and get a spare alternator from Discount auto or someplace similar. Just ask for a 1992 Dodge Monaco V-6 unit, and you won't be waiting on the rebuild place if you have a problem on the weekend in the future.
    :)
    BT

4. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    Done and Done. Now that I know I can do it in an hour (and since it looks like this can go out any time), it makes complete sense to have one on the shelf. What really surprised me was how easy it was to get the belt back on (I had heard it was difficult - my wife was laying next to me managing tools and she agreed that it looked "too easy"). The trick for me was to only put the hinge pin in and rotate the alternator up while setting the belt - that way I could already have the belt on the tensioner and all lined up. Weight of gravity brought the alternator in line for the two bolts that hold it in place. Then I only had to snug the tensioner (not too tight) and everything sounds really happy when I started it up.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #205 PAP 348, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had my 'battery' light come on while driving the other night. :eek:

This is the first time I have driven the 348 at night for many years now and this happens. :rolleyes:

Oh well, in the garage she goes till I get around to fixing it. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Before you dig in, and if your battery is located in the left rear, check the bullet connectors if you still have them. It's common for the connection/s to get loose. If they are still there you should seriously consider replacing them with solid cable/s.

No sense rebuilding the alternator if it isn't broke. However, it wouldn't hurt to have the parts needed and ready to go if your alternator has truly bit the dust.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, got battery in the left rear and still have the bullet connectors.

I will check and make sure everything is ok and I will replace/upgrade it all when I pull the engine out.

I WAS going to rebuild the alternator when the engine came out anyways, but looks like I will have to do it before hand.

That or I should just pull the engine out now? ;)

8. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I read most of the thread and I don't think I saw this listed-

brush pack that fits in the Acura alternator listed as a match for a 348 Denso-
    Honda part# 1105 PR7 A01 List price $30.38.

Honda list on the alternator is $378. They can be gotten in a Denso rebuild, wholesale, for much less. Denso rebuilt alternators are usually actually new units, or so they appear.

Cheers,

TomB

9. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't know if this has been posted, but I was bored tonight and did some major parts cross-reference searching. I found this:

http://www.rmlunits.com/Suzuki__Car_Commercial__Alternator/100-234/

I looked up NIPPON DENSO 102211-5070 and the Suzuki model listing for it on a few sites. Then I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNATOR-SUZUKI-ESTEEM-SIDEKICK-1-8L-102211-5070-31400-77E22-/110788839522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19cb878862&vxp=mtr

That alternator sure does look like mine and has the same part number too. Only the plug is different and that is a swap. I hope we can use these.

--Mike

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    From my post the other day-

Going on my 'gut' feeling................I fit the new voltage reg and the alternator is still ****ed in my alternator. :eek:

I removed it and took it to my friends auto-elec workshop so we can load test it and then check the stator/rotor and rectifier.

If I found the correct rectifier online, I would have ordered one and replaced at the same time.

Unfortunately, it seems mine is a little different to the Denso alternators posted here.

The part number for my alt is-101211-7580

BUT!!!! If you look at my pics, the post for the battery leads face up, not backwards like in all the other Denso alternators listed here.

Every pic of the Denso 101211-7580 that comes up shows the post facing backwards.

I reckon someone fit a different rectifier and rear cover somewhere along the line. It can't be original.

I was/am going to fully rebuild the alt when I pull the engine out for the major. But tomorrow I will try and put it back together with used parts to get me out of trouble till I do it properly.

My friend has hundreds of old Denso alternators laying around and man-o-man a lot of them look VERY similar to mine. It should be easy to swap some internals over to fix it.

I will let ya's know how we go tomorrow afternoon. :)

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That has always been the case with Ferrari alternators, even on mine it's Bosch, but there's SOMETHING about it, that makes it Ferrari specific, part number NEVER comes up in local inventory of BOSCH distributors!!!

High Speed bearings, maybe????

I just take it down the street to a cranky guy with a cigar stub in his mouth, who suspiciously turns it over in his hands, and asks:

"Exactly WHAT did THIS come out of?????"

I admit what it "is", and tell him:
    "Make it good, for 7800RPM....."

:D :D :D

Good luck Pappy!!

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Errr.......what pics Pap Daddy?

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I just had this happen last night, battery warning light is lit but still holds a charge, however the light turns off @ 4000+ rpm. The alternator was rebuilt back in late January of this year unless it's the voltage regulator now or something else. Damn, back to Norwoods it goe$.

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #216 PAP 348, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FINALLY fixed it. :D

Was a faulty rectifier. :(

I have the old one here, I will clean it up and get the part number off it so I can refit the correct part when I pull the engine out for the major service..............one day. :eek:

My Auto-elec mate fit a new rectifier for me this morning. The post is actually 6mm now instead of 8mm. So I had to place 2 small washers under the bottom lock nut so the wiring could sit on it properly.

All good now, I haven't driven the 348 in nearly 6 months. I washed it and took it for a drive.

AWESOME car!! Very very happy. :eek::eek:

17. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Was that the noise that woke me up this morning??

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yes sir, I hit 7800 rpm today. ;);)

19. Harry348

Harry348 Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    Middle of France
    Full Name:
    Harry V
    Hi Ferrari folk,

Well the old alternator suddenly stopped charging. The meter reading ranged from 3 to 14 and anywhere in between, and the dashboard battery light was flickering. So lifting the back end and putting the back wheels on ramps I set about checking the system.

After an evenings research it appears that the alternator itself seldom fails. It is the Rectifier and/or the Regulator, or the brushes which wear out.

I found a very useful article here which gave part numbers for replacement bits without resorting to Ferrari prices.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/142329-348-alternator-removal-rebuild.html

The required parts are by Regitar (based in the USA) but after searching Regitars website I found their English distributor, a company called M J Rotating in the W. Midlands. 01543 360511. They had the Regitar parts in stock and posted them to France for me for a total of £59.94 including postage.

Part no RN - 02 Rectifier
    Part no VR- H2005-4A
    (I didn't need new brushes)

The new Rectifier has a smaller positive post than the original, so tap out the post on the old one and the new one with a hammer. Stick the old post in the freezer to make it smaller, then insert it into the new rectifier and screw the nut down onto the plastic casing. As you turn the nut it draws the splined post into the new rectifier.

The charging system is now showing 13.5 - 14 V which is far healthier than the original readings.

I am now a happy bunny again and 'charging' around healthily.

Happy Harry

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Glad to hear you got it all fixed.

And just so you know, the link you posted is to page number 1 of this very thread. :D hahahahah. But it's all good.

Again, glad to hear you got your alternator fixed, and thank you for letting the rest of know about. Good work!

21. Harry348

Harry348 Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    Middle of France
    Full Name:
    Harry V
    Hello Ernie

Yes I know it is no 1 in this thread and that is why I put it here, as a kind of homage to your original post. I wouldn't have been able to do it without knowing the part numbers listed in your original thread.

So a huge thank you, I owe my success to you.

Harry

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My buddy had the Regitar voltage regulator fail right out of the box. Mine failed about 3k miles after installation, re-installed the factory ND voltage regulator. There have been a couple other posts about Regitar parts failing early. I still have the Regitar rectifier in my ND alternator...probably been about 12k miles so far.

23. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    Does anyone know where to buy these rebuild parts now? Been doing a web search and not having much luck..

24. Harry348

Harry348 Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    Middle of France
    Full Name:
    Harry V
    Hello

They are by a company in the US called Regitar. Google them.

Replacement alternator parts for the Nippon Denso

Part no RN - 02 .....Rectifier
    Part no VR- H2005-4A .....Regulator
    (I didn't need new brushes)

Hope that helps
    Harry

25. Harry348

Harry348 Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    Middle of France
    Full Name:
    Harry V
    PS, You will find tjhat the positive connection post on the new item is the wrong size. No problem, just tap out the connection post from the old item and tap it into the new one. (I put mine in the freezer first to reduce the size a little.

Best wishes
    Harry