348 Capristo valved exhaust | FerrariChat

348 Capristo valved exhaust

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nosevi, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi all.

Considering an exhaust change next year, am currently running with a Nouvalari Supersport which sounds great wide open but really only has 1 setting - insanely loud. I've still got my original twin can exhaust which obviously only has 1 setting - extremely quiet - so I've been thinking about looking at a Capristo valved exhaust which I'd hope does both or at least close to both.

I could live with it not quite as quiet as stock with the valves closed and not quite as deafening as the Nouvalari Supersport with them open but before parting with the cash I'd want to know exactly what the two modes sound like and what the volume difference really is. I've trawled Youtube and can find several 348 Capristo exhaust vids but none seem to show switching valves open to closed. Have seen other cars demonstrating it but not 348s.

Does anyone have a valved Capristo on their 348 or know any one who does? Would be great to see a demo vid of the valves in operation.

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yes. Cap on 348, w/ cats deleted. I can appreciate a loud rock concert, and love loud raucous exhausts. With the valves closed, it is quite loud. You'll hear the car coming from 1/4 mi off. With valves open, it is insanely loud. For me, driving more than 20min with valves open gets fatiguing and a bit irritating. Closed is perfect for my taste. Open is a novelty feature, sampled in small doses :)

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This needs a video..... :)

4. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #4 Nosevi, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Thanks for that. I've got cats (high flow sports cats) so wouldn't be quite as loud in either setting. Numbers I have now from the UK importer is that it's only 5db louder than stock with the valves closed but 20-22db (4 times as loud) with them open. which is about in line with my Nouvalari Supersport. Does this sound about right or are they underestimating the volume in both settings a tad do you think? I'm really more interested in how quiet it is in closed mode. Obviously hard to say I know as you've also removed the cats.

5. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, Jeff :)

6. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    @ 3:45

@16:58

348Jeff, Gargamel647 and Nosevi like this.
  7. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks, appreciate that.

8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Sorry, I should have clarified.... those snips are valves closed.

Nosevi likes this.
  9. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cheers.

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Excellent stuff

Just for the purposes of research do you have a valves open video(s)...???