348 CAT ECU sealing with silicone to prevent moisture build up | FerrariChat

348 CAT ECU sealing with silicone to prevent moisture build up

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by KoreanStallion, Dec 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Esteemed 348 owners. Can anyone help build out a thread on how to pull and seal the CAT ECU with silicone to prevent moisture from destroying these $400 parts? I"ve started the below based on excerpts from my348.com and would appreciate any additional steps, images and general advice.
    As i'm a newbie DIYer so please be specific - any overkill is much appreciated.
    -Purchase a $3 tube of Permatex black silicon.
    -Drive the car to help evaporate any moisture that has already penetrated the CAT ecu.
    -Disconnect the battery.
    J-ack up the rear (where do i place the jack? Do i use two jacks on each jack point?)
    -Remove both rear wheels.
    -Remove both inner fender liners.
    -Unbolt, unplug and pull out both of the exhaust ECUs.(is this easy to do?)
    -Seal them up with the Permatex black silicon(where do i put the silicon?)
    -Be sure to seal everything except the electrical wires.
    Sealing it should keep moisture from getting inside the $400 CAT ECUs. (can someone provide more pictures?)
    (is silicone the best sealant to use or is there a lighter/less permanent sealant?)

View attachment 3248900

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can see the RTV in grey on mine. You can do it with the ecu's in the car. You can access after you remove the fender liner. The unbolt with 2 nuts. easy. Run a search for 348 jacking points.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Thank you for those pictures. To prevent moisture, where do we seal up the ECU with silicone? Around the box? Around the entry points of the wire plugs? Attached is my working file if anyone needs it and/or can tighten it up.

Attached Files:

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The grey color IS the Silicone I added. That where, exactly where, no where else. To prevent moisture put the silicone where you see my grey silicone in the picture.

If you have not been there check here as well.
    http://www.my348.com/

5. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Thanks. No image came up? I'd love to see(only) where to put silicone. I know www.my348.com as well. But i'm striving to tighten up some of their instructions with the collaboration of the 348 Owners Community. Attached is my latest on CAT ECU silicon-ing. I"m going to build instructions for everything i need to do and that people advise on, request, kick off. Next is O2 Sensor Replacement if you're familier with that? and ECU Check Engine Light code 4114?

Attached Files:

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    OMG.... you put the silicone on the surface shown in the red circle. The grey IS the silicone and is (only) where to put silicone. That's it.... nothing more to it.
    I suggest you pull yours off and have a look at the cat ECU in your hand to get an understanding. It can not be more clear than I am showing it outside me going out to my car and pulling mine for you and showing the cat ecu (circled o n red) with the grey silicone (circled in red) off the car. Which I am not doing.

O2 sensor... you unscrew it. 348 is not different that nay other car.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-o2-sensor-removal.253394/

All your going to do is make instructions for things on the site already.

And yes I am familiar with ALL of it, that is my engine I pulled from my car myself. Like 50 others also do out here.
    [​IMG]

7. KoreanStallion

Dec 1, 2021
    New York. N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Korean Stallion
    Thanks for commenting that the "grey" area is the only area to seal. I didn't know that to be the case. I suspect other 348 owners may not have as well.
    On these instructions being already on FerrariChat.com or my348.com website please direct us to a link as I find some of the information/steps are on these websites that they are not organized in a simple to understand step by step manner with pictures. Also there is often disagreement on steps. But to your comments, please send me O2 sensor removal instructions and if they are complete I"ll post them. Further, we can just scale from there onto the 10 most important fixes/preventative maintenance issues for 348 owners. The next issue for me is CEL ECU 4114 - please direct me to an organized set of instructions with images? But if there's room for improvement on either of these, that is what I'm striving to do to serve and collaborate with the 348 owners community. I've posted my latest update for the CAT ecu silicone sealing including your image as well.

Attached Files:

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Search function is what people generally use. Like the O2 sensor link I posted. I searched for it for you. It is literally a link in the post above. Like literally. Try clicking it it's called "348 O2 sensor removal". Go back up and click it.

Also there are sticky threads with most diy items catagorized already.

As far as sealing the ecu cat, all one has to do is search.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's funny that is the first thing I thought of too! In the end was not sure how it would do with heat so I did high temp rtv on the area that cracks and where water enters.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

From their web page: