348 Clutch Grease RePack Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Clutch Grease RePack Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Dec 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No he says Renault tool, as a tool for Renault cars. Like a Lamborghini head bolt tool works for the 348. Renault but with a British accent. ;)

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's called RIE BEE, spelled Ribe bits. In a pinch, you can take a bigger Torx bit and grind it down to fit a smaller Ribe bit. But, it's best to buy a set. I got a set, and the only bit ever gets used is the M8 ribe bit for this application. I have never seen it anywhere else used on earth.

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Ahhhh...Yep.. Tough to hear with the English accent! And yes, just ordered a set of those bits off Amazon....cheap enough!

4. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Snap On sells the proper bit also.

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I got my hill engineering tool from Ricambi and I've got the voith separated from the bell housing.... now I'm waiting for my ribe bit. What I noticed immediately was a massive amount of grease slung within the bell housing which is strange because I thought the unit was essentially sealed so I'm really looking forward to pulling this thing apart. Also removing the 2 plugs reveals that it is filled with an appreciable amount of gear lube from over the years and the grease it nearly liquefied......from previous ownership. I replaced triple seals last year.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly why you don't just keep pumping grease into it. Or try to. The issue is not needing more grease. When there's an issue... there's an issue.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MAD828 likes this.
  7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Man, that triple seal set up is ridiculous. If all the stars are aligned and new seals are installed correctly, without damage, or over stretching and everything is snug and tight ....it's barely acceptable.....There is always going to be a weep of gear lube. Then again the car is 29 years old so probably original grease. Really looking forward to opening it up.

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    So as I'm waiting for my ribe tool.... It couldn't help but wonder how at the factory when these cars were built how these dual mass flywheels were assembled. Did some guy sit there and put all these little bits in and smear the grease with a popsicle stick like the MD clutch guy.... or did they slap it together and pump it with a pneumatic grease gun? Not saying that's how I'm gonna do it because clearly I've got to get this runny old stinky grease out but was just wondering how it was made when new?

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It would be a mighty big zerk fitting, don't even think they fit in an M10 hole. My guess is by hand, it was open to assemble so they just greased it then, I doubt as well as you'll be doing it however. Everything was done by hand back then.

10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
  11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    My Ferrari buddy here wants to pump it up with grease to push out the old grease...and then disassemble it just see how much of the old grease it actually pushes out..... just for the hell of it!

13. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I am definitely gonna pull it apart though as horrible as it sounds when it's starting I wouldn't be surprised if I have a broken spring or two!

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The old grease is not pushed out. It spins out due to centrifugal force, and the fact that it has been diluted with leaking fluid from the gearbox.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It also leaks into where it's not supposed to be which is the face of the flange that mate together. That's where it leaks out from roo, that area should be dry grease free.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If anyone opens up the clutch pack to find broken parts I have some guts laying around the shop looking for a good place to go.

17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Awesome...Thanks.....Cant wait to open it up!

18. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Just posting back... I got the voith split open and the grease is almost completely liquified from gear oil so it is surely my problem! Just have A couple of quick assembly questions that are not entirely clear from the MD clutch guy. First of all do the spacer's "flag" to the right or to the left it's really hard to tell here is a photo. Secondly regarding the brown friction pieces, does the raised thickened portion flag to the right or to the left see photo. I believe they point to the right because that is how I disassembled them but I'm not confident that this flywheel was assembled correctly. Finally regarding the tiny vertical springs that are installed, if you look closely at the carrier, you will see a tiny tiny notch ....does this point outward or inward I never noticed as I was disassembling. Although I can't imagine this being of any consequence. As far as the Brown spacers they were all mixed up I believe whoever did this job before had them installed incorrectly. Appreciate any and all help! Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Here is a picture of how the one I did went back together, I made a note of how it was as I assembled it and it went back the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    MAD....thanks so much! You confirmed what I thought was correct which is the "flag end" of the shims point clockwise....however I believe the large brown shims should also have the thicker portion ...ie flag pointing clockwise as well? The tiny notches I see you have facing inward on the small spring carriers, which I thought was correct as well. Maybe someone else will confirm.

21. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I'm trying to wrap my head around how this damn thing even works but in my mind if it dampens more one direction than another then that would be the reason for those flags pointing clockwise and therefore I would think that the brown plastic pieces would have their flag pointing clockwise as well? Anybody have an email for MD clutches?

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    MD closed when his engineer passed away.

sjd

23. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Ohhhh, I see.. I know you guys probably think I've lost my mind but I just wan to make sure this thing is assembled correctly. I watched the MD clutch video over and over, freeze frame by frame by frame and I determined that that the shims point to the right, the Brown shims point to the right, and the small arrier notch points inward! So.... MAD photo is correct with the exception of the brown shims.

24. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Probably of little to no consequence if it is backwards however.