348 - 348 Clutch: pressure plate | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 348 Clutch: pressure plate

Discussion in '348/355' started by cardude442, Sep 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the info!

I was working from the video on MDClutches and they talk about a special bolt they sell and not to use others. I tried matching the thread pattern at my machinist in the US and couldn’t find a close match, so I pushed them out using threaded bar above held in place by the big bolt that holds it in the pumpkin. Worked great and I didn’t worry about the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Has anyone ‘not replaced’ the two bearings in the Voith case?

The center piece with a bearing pressed on either side.

I asked about getting those from Ricambi, but they didn’t have any in stock. They mentioned selling very few.

Want to get some experience from others as this is my first F car and my first Voith unit.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Never needed them....

cardude442 likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a MD Voith rebuild kit and one of their new billet flywheels in a box, it actually with 1 bearing which is the bearing on the pumpkin. Maybe just that one is in order?

cardude442 likes this.
  5. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks @yelcab and @Ferrarium!

Ricambi mentioned that they had only sold 6 of these and they don't see requests for them.

I'm going to go ahead and re-assemble without replacing them and keep an eye on them down the road.

Opportunity is dwindling here in New England before it goes for a long winter's nap (and addressing nits over the winter months).

Thanks for guiding me on this journey!

6. Spaceman Paul

Spaceman Paul Rookie

Feb 2, 2020
    Hampshire UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Brooks
    Thanks for the thread. My 348 Spider (1993) had the same issue with the pressure plate.
    For reference, the first indication was a sound like the throw out bearing going (squeal when engaging clutch) but there were also times when it sounded like input shaft bearing (noise in neutral with clutch out). I think this is because the throw out was going way too far with the bent finger ends and so the non-moving part of the bearing was starting to grind on the outer parts of the fingers (seen on pictures). Lucky to have got back to base.

Does anyone have source for just the pressure plate? I can only find clutch disc or complete clutch assembly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I obtained my pressure plate (yours looks a lot like mine did) from Ricambi here in the US.

I did not throw my old one in the bin. I've heard that they can be repaired. That's a search I'll likely take this winter.

Good luck!

8. Spaceman Paul

Spaceman Paul Rookie

Feb 2, 2020
    Hampshire UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Brooks
    Thanks, all out easy enough and spares ordered. If you find someone to refurbish let me know. Not so worried about the money but having had a few classics I hate seeing old parts scrapped when they are hard to come by.

9. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Paul,

I get a whine/squeal only when the clutch is out. When I push it in, the sound goes away. What is your best guess?

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    No, it had all flung out by this point...

sjd

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Maybe call Essex parts in NC. They deal in AP stuff. I talked to them a while back and they'll do a full rebuild on clutches. If i remember right, it was <$1000.

https://www.essexparts.com/

sjd

12. Spaceman Paul

Spaceman Paul Rookie

Feb 2, 2020
    Hampshire UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Brooks
    Hi

Whist that sounds like the gearbox bearings (only spinning when clutch is let out) or may be the driveshaft bearing at the back of the clutch (same issue), when I took out the clutch and throw out bearing the bearing did have a fair amount of play in it, so the noise I was hearing when clutch out could have been related to this and I only heard it at idle not when gears under load. See if you can locate the nloise as the clutch and flywheel bearinsg are right out the back so should be differentiable from gear box. The car drove fine even when the there was some early noise from the clutch at start up so I don't think I have a problem with the gearbox bearings even though I did get some odd noises when clutch was engaged. I first heard a poor noise from the clutch whilst on tour in Scotland - 500 miles from home, but managed to nurse the clutch back to base before replacing the clutch and throw out bearing (Superformance and Hill Engineering, both recommended for those in the UK). Relatively easy job with biggest hassle being the tightness of the exhaust within the rear frame (definitely bumper off for my single silencer exhaust unit) - just stupidly tight fit requiring the perfect angles and heights to slip off the cat tubes. With hindsight I should have shortened those whilst the exhaust was off but it's all back in and running nicely now.
    For those interested in refurbishing the clutch (just replacing the diaphragm), the old one was hot riveted so I could not see how to do this, but the replacement is Allen bolted in place - so if you can get someone to machine the diaphragm you could save a small fortune and the problem of sourcing a replacement (see below for comparison).

Image Unavailable, Please Login