348 Clutch removal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Clutch removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ShanB, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Closeup of the seals - visible when the output shaft is pulled:

2. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks to everyone for all the good advice so far. Hopefully all the pics will help somebody down the line.

So far - the TO bearing spins smoothly so I hadn't planned to rebuild/replace it. I would like to replace the four blue seals inside the assembly if available.

Also will replace the three seals on the output shaft as I am told that they may be a possible leak point. Any other likely suspects I should look to replace while I'm in there? Thanks in advance.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Really, really good pictures, Shan. I haven't seen these in detail before. It is my understanding that the seals are a bear to install without the special tool, and a breeze with the tool. There is more than one style of throwout bearing, I believe. I'll be watching with interest to see how you procede from this point, I'm sure some good advice will be heading your way. I think someone (Rex?) posted a list of the Ferrari part numbers for the various seals in the archives thread attached yesterday.

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Miltonian:
    I'm glad you like the pics.

I did find Rex's old post and printed it to see what seals the part #'s correspond to. I'll order them tomorrow.

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Great pics!

Looks like you have the updated throw out bearing. As far as I know, and I hope i'm wrong, there is no seal kit for the TO bearing. You can only get the whole part.

Those three seals are indeed a pain, if you think they are good and are sure that your leak is not gear oil but rather brake fluid I wouldn't mess with them. On the other they are rather inexpensive and you do have the whole thing apart.

Got your email, I'll send out the tool tomorrow.

Vincent.

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    looking at the manual.....you may actually have the first iteration of the TO Bearing, which indeed has #139438 (Gasket) and #138387 (scraper ring). These inside the TOB look to be replaceable but the book says "obsolete first type solution. This TOB is #144954. The new and updated one is #155226 it is a one piece housing instead of what looks like a multiple piece housing. Here is a picture of mine from the side, unfortunately I don't have one that shows the inside. But the inside seals did not look the same. I'll be interested to know if you can replace those seals on their own and which model you actually have there.

VIncent.

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Well Vincent, here's something - I removed the TO bearing support and immediately saw & smelled some gear oil. Now I'm not so sure about the leaking brake fluid theory. Hmmm....I see three new input shaft seals in my future...

TO bearing support removed:

8. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #33 348paul, Jan 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I have had these in stock for a few weeks now but have not updated the website - they will fit the 348 & 355.

Paul

www.hill-engineering.co.uk
    Ferrari Chat Sponsor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Paul,

Do you also make the lock ring nut as in your picture? I have done many clutches and many bozo mechanics use a cold chisel and hammer!

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Post 28 shows the seals that keep the transmission fluid from entering the clutch area.

The newer throw out bearing has teflon seals. They are a b%$ch to get on properly, but provide a lighter clutch actuation.

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

12. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill

Billybob,

We do both the 355 and 348 part - PM / email me if you need any more info.

Vincent,

It was your original Clutch job last year that inspired me to look into making these tools! The one pictured is priced at £45 and is made from a Nickel Chromium Molybdenum Steel - Hardened and tempered with a 22mm - 7/8" Male Hex on the back - Chemical Black finish (Like the impact sockets).

I will get the website updated with this and a few of the other parts soon.

Cheers

Paul

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Shan,

Mailed the tool this morning, you should have it tues or wed.

Vincent.

14. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info in this thread! When it comes time to do the clutch on my 348, I may just do it myself. Too cool!

-John

15. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Well, today I removed/examined all seals that touch the slave cylinder & support. The internal & mating surfaces all looked pristinely clean (unlike the rest of the bell housing & FW) and there was no sign of anything wrong with those seals that I could find. My slave cylinder is the one-piece deal with four internal hard seals and so it's probably the upgraded part. I have an F355 parts manual and it looks liike the same one that's on the F355, so a slave cylinder leak now seems unlikely.

However- I noticed a definite ring of heavy, wet black grease inside the cover around the flywheel and a lot of gear lubricant (smelled & tasted) pooled in the center where the flywheel fits over the shaft. I suspect the leak is probably from hot gear lubricant getting past the triple shaft seals, centripetally spinning in the flywheel & causing a mess. I re-mounted the slave cylinder with some aluminum grease around all the mating surfaces and will start by just replacing the three shaft seals and re-packing the FW as soon as I receive Vincent's tool. (Thanks Vincent!).

If my logic sounds off base to any of you 348 experts on the list, please speak up. Thanks very much.
    Shan

16. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Bearing assembly in FW showing some wet pooling of yellowish gear lube:

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Seems logical to me.

Beware do not step on the clutch withouth the clutch and fw in place, don't ask me how I know this. :)

Good job!

Vincent.

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Out standing job ShanB! This thread will be very useful in the future for others that need to do there clutches, especially with all of the pictures. Beleave me you are saving THOUSANDS doing it yourself. I had my clutch done at a shop about two years ago, but in the future I will be doing it myself. As you have found out these cars aren't hard to work on. This site is the best, because we are all helping each other learn about our cars, and to remove the fear and hype about working on them. Keep up the good work.