348 clutch shaft removal | FerrariChat

348 clutch shaft removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by F312PB, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    Hi, I'm new on this forum and this is my first post, I'm from Italy and own a '91 348 TS bought almost 18 months ago with 27000 Km.
    I restored her on my own redoing all the doors cables, cleaning and respraying interior sticky parts, renewing interior parts (seat leather and moquette), replacing hidden fuse, repairing the hand brake disengaged cable, refurbishing the blinking digital clock etc etc.
    Here is my "new" and first Ferrari

Image Unavailable, Please Login

My problem is a sort of (light) buzz coming from the gearbox in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed which disappear depressing pedal, in my local Ferrari workshop was told that it's the clutch shaft bearing starting wearing out, BTW it's the diagnosis correct?
    I'm planning to open the clutch and replace the bearing but I'm a little concerned about the right procedure to pull out the part. I searched in the forums and found some threads but none shows a step by step procedure to do the job. The shaft, as you know, is this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So, here are my questions:
    1 what's the best/easier way step by step to get out this part?
    2 have I to drain the gearbox oil before?
    3 I'm thinking a puller is needed, but which puller is the best?
    4 Have I to insert the puller on the shaft flange close to the yellow ring on one side and on the propeller shaft on the other side? Consider that I don't have a torch
    5 Have I to pull out the propeller shaft next or I have to let it in place?
    6 which is the right tool to undo and torque the ringnut that holds the gear to the shaft?
    7 Is easy to put the shaft back?

Of course I'm planning to replace all the gaskets and have a look to the TO bearing.
    Any input will be appreciated, many thanks for your replies

Paolo

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Before you start digging into the gearbox (it's only 27k km), you should double check the buzz. First, is it present from cold or only when the gearbox heats up? Then, when exactly does it disappear? Is it 1. as soon as you apply some pressure on the clutch pedal (but not yet disengage) or 2. is it only when you fully depress the pedal. If 1., it is most likely the throw-out bearing. If 2., and only when the transmission is hot, you may wish to first try with replacing the gearbox oil with some top quality oil (I use Motul Gear 300LS, 75W90).

3. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    Thanks for your quick reply, I'll test what you suggested and let you ASAP.
    Just add some more information, my car was unused for about 9 years before I bought her and obviously had a complete engine out service before I started driving including new gearbox oil performed in a Ferrari workshop.
    I'll let you know the other things.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ah, unused car for 9 years. You would expect the throw out bearing to be crusty. I would change it by the way. I went through the same thing with an unused 9 years 355. The throw out bearing did not even move.

Remove bumper
    Remove muffler
    Remove pumpkin
    Remove the small pin tracker and retainer on top of the TO bearing, and the 2 spring behind it.
    Use your arms as a puller and pull the bearing straight out.

Clean everything
    lube it nicely with brake fluid.
    Fit the bearing on the shaft, help it slide in with a piece of wood and a hammer
    the rest is just backtracking your steps.

Hints:
    Buy the Hill Engineering bearing
    Replace the triple seals, I use the Viton ones now. No need for the crazy heating method
    If you don't touch the flywheel, it will slide right in with a little tweaking of the the flywheel while the car is in 5th gear.

Schatten likes this.
  5. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    I made a tool to carefully extract the clutch shaft from the transmission as mine had to be replaced. Youre welcome to it if needed. If infact its the bearing , its sold separately for about $100.00

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Interesting, can you post a picture of that?

7. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    The buzz is always present both from cold and warm and seems to be higher in tone when speeding up.
    It disappear about at half way when I press the pedal
    The gerbox oil is almost new: 15 month old but the buzz was present before and after the substitution.
    What do you think?

I thank you very much, but I'm from Italy so some good pictures and maybe a descripition of you home made tool would be very appreciated

Paolo

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I understand that when you said "when speeding up" you mean when revving up the engine in neutral (since you said that you have the buzz in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed). The throw-out bearing is always in contact with the "fingers" of the clutch pressure plate (even when the clutch pedal is up), held against the fingers by two springs applying relatively light pressure, so the bearing will spin all the time. If the bearing gets dry, it will produce buzzing noise having higher tone with higher revs. When you press the pedal about half way, the pressure on the bearing is about the highest which may temporarily silence the bearing. So, it looks like just the throw-out bearing but I cannot guarantee. In any case, before going into the gearbox, I would first try with replacing the throw-out bearing as this is a simple and easy operation (I did it with the car on the ground, just removed the bumper and the exhaust which both come off fairly easily).

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes! Definitely listen to what everyone has said. There is a very good chance it’s your throw out bearing and these is no need to tear onto your transmission. Did your mechanic specifically say he thought it was that bearing or was he talking about the TO bearing on you misunderstood? I put the Hill Engeering bearing and flange in my 91 when I changed the clutch and would recommend them.
    Change out that throw out bearing and let us know if it’s fixed.

10. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    The noise increase both in neutral and pedal released and when driving on the road when rounds and speed increase

The mechanic (he own a former official Ferrari shop) said he is thinking that noise is more likely due to the clutch shaft bearing instead of the TO bearing.
    Me too, before speaking with him, thought the TO bearing was the problem, but now I have some doubt.
    Maybe the right thing will be to open the clutch bell and check the TO bearing and if needed replace it and test the car before digging deeper in the gearbox

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Actually, when you open things up and check the TO bearing, you may be able to immediately know whether you need to continue into the gearbox or not. If you find the TO bearing to be dry and noisy when turned by hand, then that's the culprit (most probably). If the TO bearing is nice and smooth, then just continue further (into the clutch shaft).

12. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    I definitely agree with you and I'll be going to follow your tips.
    However It would be nice if redzone will post a couple of pictures and some explanation of his clutch shaft removal tool, just in case..... ;):)

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic