348 competition tires HELP | FerrariChat

348 competition tires HELP

Discussion in '348/355' started by turbome, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbome

turbome Rookie

Feb 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am looking for some competition tires and need some advise. I currently run 295/35/18 in back and 245/40/18 in front but am looking to change to dot competition tires. I can only find the rears in 295/30/18 (except for a drag radial) which are about an inch smaller in overall diameter. Does anyone run 18" competition tires in similar sizes? I am worried about dropping the rear 1/2" and increasing revs.

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    It would be helpful to know your wheel widths.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    FIRST come out with us sunday http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263554

On tires don't worry just use the 30's. The 1/2" is not going to be a problem on the rev's. What it will do is change the rear grip and the over/understeer charactor. I used to race a 348 and it is very sensitive aka tuneable with alignment and chassis rake. Lowering rake in these cars I liked because it reduced dive on heavy braking and made the back stick better. Going to a DOT tire and dropping the rear 1/2" will make you feel very planted. I got extra 355C wheels by the way too. If you plan to track this car talk to me I got some counter intuitive tricks that help these cars work. Search through some old threads I talked about homemade delrin bushings, brake ducts, Delta Vee spring/shock revalving and set-ups. You can also shoehore 315's on there if they are hoosiers A6/R6 and using a 10" rim like a 355C wheel. The hoosier has a funny lip on the bead and you can oversize the wheel a bit and not loose support for the sidewall like you might on another brand tire. Personally I on race on properly sized tires for the wheels unless there is lots of data to show its safe and fast to do otherwise. For example we run 315's on 10" wheels on T1 vettes in SCCA with zero issues all because of that hoosier lip. I have run countless tire combos on 348's including mixed brand front and rear slicks which is totally doable but you have to tune the chassis to do that.

4. turbome

turbome Rookie

Feb 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Billybob, thanks for the info...I think I will give them a try after hearing your response. I am not tracking yet but want the comp. tires because the car only gets about 1500 miles a year on by the time the tread is worn on street tires they are hard as rock and no good anyway. I figure I will get 2k-3k miles on the comp tires and thats fine with me.

PS sorry for the super slow reply but been slammed at work...thanks again!

5. turbome

turbome Rookie

Feb 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Forgot to respond to the autocross...missed it obviously but would like to soon. I almost made one down here in san diego last weekend but missed it also. One of these days I will make one.