348 cup holder | FerrariChat

348 cup holder

Discussion in '348/355' started by VTChris, Feb 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #1 VTChris, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #2 captglen, Feb 14, 2010
  3. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    i dont know why we would need one .
    very good for showing people that are interested.

not my cup of tea but still great idea

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    UUUGGHH!!! Get that cup OUTTA THERE pronto :)

5. Philippe

Philippe Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Brussels, Belgium
    Not my taste at all.

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I need one of those for my couch :) ................ which reminds me ...... I still need to visit Chris and get him that long promised latte' ................. :eek:

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Sorry boys but I like this one, it looks removable and although I would not use it normally I definitely could use one when I go on my trips which are usually 8hrs of drive time.

Who makes these? actually it looks so simple to duplicate.

8. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Mike, I think Glenn keeps that cup in there to cover the coffee stains in his console. :D:D:D

9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lol...

10. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    ....Y a w n ... still waiting (2 years later) :(

11. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

So, it will replace your couch pizza?

12. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    #12 marklintott, Feb 19, 2010
    I know these are not to everyone's taste but I have these available now. I make them for the 328 model already but Glenn asked if I could do the same for the 348. We worked through the details (thanks Glenn) and he has the first prototype which seems to work well enough as far as I know.

They have 2 cup holes and a slot for either a wallet or a cellphone. The material is clear methylacrylate and it drops into the cubby without need for any fixings etc. You can either lift it out when you're not using it or leave it in place and keep things under it.

I have it in clear but could do it in solid gloss black at no extra cost if anyone wanted.

Couple of pictures attached (thanks again Glenn)

Anyone interested please pm me or email me at [email protected]

Cheers
    Mark
    Taiwan/UK

I'm asking US$ 42 plus approx US$ 10 for shipping etc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #13 jim94-348, Nov 9, 2010
    I just got one of these from Mark. Mine is black and I think it looks a lot better than the clear one. Thought I would post it so that all could see. It definitely makes long drive easier so that you don't have to hold your drink or worry about it spilling.

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since your interior is black, then it blends in better...but the one with tan interior shouldn't be black (IMO), clear is fine for the tan.

15. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    black with black looks great
    as does the clear with tan

16. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. I guess I meant it looks better with a darker interior. I also like that I can put things under it like sunglasses, wallet, cell phone when I go to the gym and you don't really see them. I was thinking of trying to get some matching leather and wrapping it. I thought it would look really good then. Anyone have any idea where you can get matching leather?

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That sounds like a great idea Jim. :):)

I reckon any good auto-upholsteror workshop should have something similar. :):)

In saying that, probably ANY black leather will look good on it. :D:D

18. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Sorry guys, but I don't think the 348 needs a cup tray, or a radio for that matter.

You should be concentrating on driving your 348, listening to the purr of that beautiful 3.4 motor/exhaust and not worrying about drinking refreshments.

I've never seen Massa or Alonso drinking while driving their F1 cars (he he).

19. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    While I am listening and smiling and enjoying that great Ferrari Sound, I have a place to put my Cell phone and Latte so it will not spill. LOL

20. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought one of the lucite ones in black. Its GREAT. Easily removable, I put a cork piece i made under it so I dont mark my leather in the bottom and it holds my coffee or whatever on long drives. Even the purists would like it after 8 hours in the saddle.
    Nd

21. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott

Thanks for the positive comments everyone - or at least everyone who has a need for a cupholder. I've got a few left and will make more if needed so let me know.

I like the idea of covering it in leather - also as that would make the edges softer so there is no chance of any "dents" in the existing leather cubby.

Anyway if you want one (shipped in plain brown envelope!) get in touch.

Cheers

Mark
    Taiwan/UK

22. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    #22 innerloop, Dec 30, 2012
    After I spilt the third Diet Coke all over the console of my car, I decided it was time for cupholders. I’ve looked at the available solutions and for various reasons, I’m not satisfied with any of those, so I decided to try my hand at a solution. The requirements I set for myself were something that looked at least as good as the rest of the interior, it had to have two cupholders and it had to leave some space for storage in the center console. Here are the results…

23. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    #23 innerloop, Dec 30, 2012
    I tried various layouts of putting two holders in the center bin and I couldn’t come up with anything that looked right. The bin is too narrow to put the two holders side-by-side and if you put them both inline then you end up taking up most of the storage space in the bin. I toyed with a staggered setup, but it just didn’t look right to me. But as I looked at the console more and more it finally occurred to me to look at the cassette tape storage bin. I had removed the little dividers years ago to make the space more usable and I’m pretty sure that cassette tapes are not going to make a comeback. So I removed the two screws that hold the cassette bin in place and was happy to find that there was available space below. So then I had a plan, one holder under the lid where cassettes used to go and one holder in the bin that would still leave storage space.

24. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 TheOnlyest, Dec 30, 2012
  25. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    #25 innerloop, Dec 30, 2012
    I know the purist will never approve, but if you want to duplicate these for yourself, then I’m including some in-progress photos and comments. I don’t have the equipment or experience to work with any material except wood so I used plain pine for the construction material and a table saw, chop saw and a drill as my major tools.

The exposed holder is just two pieces of wood glued at a right angle. You could probably do it free hand, but I have a dowel jig so I used it to make sure the two pieces were straight. Then the only trick is that the sides and back are not square cuts, they need to be matched to the angles of the bin. But it's not hard to do because you can take the whole tray out and use it to set the angle of your blade on the table saw. Once you have those two pieces assembled, then use a 3 inch hole saw to make the main opening. I didn't like the sharp corner on the front edge so I ran the edge through my table router with a roundover bit to give it a smooth curve. Once I was happy with the shape, it was a matter of sanding, priming and painting. If your interior is stock, the holder can be attached from below and the back with screws. Then just drop in the cup insert. I bought these online from www.iboats.com. Initially the fit was too loose and the insert wiggled in the hole so I wrapped several rounds of painters tape around the outside of the insert to get a snug fit.

Here is where the scope creep kicked in. I have replaced the stock panels of my center console with pieces from MAcarbon. I wanted the holders to match and I've been looking for an excuse to have something hydrodipped for another project that I have in the back of my mind. The last picture shows the part after it was dipped with a carbon fiber pattern. The quality is very good, not perfect, but it matches better than if I had left the part plain black.