348 Door Wiring Connector Repair | FerrariChat

348 Door Wiring Connector Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Miltonian, Jan 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #1 Miltonian, Jan 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Most of you 348 owners know about the problems associated with bad electrical contacts at the connectors in the door jambs. This usually appears as the high resistance at the pins causes the power windows to operate very slowly, or not at all. My drivers side window finally got the point that I had to open the door and jiggle the wire bundle to get the window motor to move. When I pulled back the rubber bellows and checked inside the bundle, the problem was obvious - one of the pin terminals had broken in half.

At this point, I could have searched out a new pin and replaced it, but instead I decided to "gut" the entire pin mechanism and replace all 19 of them with solid wires. The pictures will show the work in progress.

This isn't an easy job, but it should never need to be done again. As far as I can tell, the only reason to have the pin connectors is to make it easier to remove the doors from the car. I'm not planning on removing my doors any time soon.

To start, the battery should be disconnected. Twist off the pin socket to expose the male and female sides of the socket. Pull back the rubber bellows and snip the wires off, then pull the bundle inside the door, after removing the door panel and/or the strakes. There are 14 gauge and 18 gauge wires in the bundle. I spliced in new sections of the appropriate gauge wires 18" in length, then applying heat shrink over the splices.

After removing the left front wheel, I pulled the inner fender panel (8 screws) to expose the other end of the bundle. The terminal socket is released from the door jamb with a twist of the lock nut. Once the wires were snipped, I pulled the male and female pins out of the sockets and threw them away. There are 23 holes in the sockets. Five of them have to be drilled out slightly to fit the larger 14 gauge wires.

At this point, I re-installed the sockets in each side of the jamb, and fed the newly spliced wires through the bellows, then through the holes, one at a time, and labeled them with the correct color code. Once all 19 wires were through, I spliced them and heat wrapped the splices. At this point, the battery could be reconnected and the circuits tested.

Last job is the tape over any areas of exposed wiring and tie wrap the bundles in place to make sure they don't snag on anything. Then button it up!

What do you think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #2 Miltonian, Feb 2, 2005
    Just bumping this back up to see if anyone has a comment - it got buried.

Here is a shot of the original problem, a main pin terminal broken in half.

FloridaIsland348 likes this.
  3. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice job and I'm sure it alleviates many of the potential gremlins for door electrics but......what a son of a b its going to be if you or anyone ever needs to get the door off and back on in the future!

I think I would prefer to resolve by finding some upgraded connector method

4. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    My connectors are fine at the moment but I've got a set with gold plated pins in the pipeline (same manufacturer as stock). That combined with some electrical grease to keep out moisture should be better than the standard tin coated ones.

I'll not swap them until I start having trouble though.

5. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Nice Job! and thanks for the pics.
    I'll be visiting this shortly and this post will be a big help!!!

6. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Nice Car color as well!!

7. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I hope you soldered the splices instead of using crimp connectors?

Have had the crimp connectors fail in the past

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I have personally had Scotch-Lok connectors fail many times, and I have seen failures in crimp connectors, usually because the wrong gauge was used or someone did a pissy job. I actually tried to solder the connections, even bought a new soldering gun, but I'm simply not good at it. I did a VERY careful job with each connection, used the proper tools and hardware, and yanked on them to make sure they were extremely tight, then taped the bundles together to make sure there was no tension on any one particular wire. I agree that a GOOD solder connection would be better. In my case, a good crimp connection is better than a bad solder connection, or a bad pin connection.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Brilliant work Jeff. That is on my list of things to do on my car. I bet the windows race up and down now. My windows are so bad I have to pull them up while holding the switch down. As for the doors coming off, who cares. The only reason for the door to come off is if it gets munched. I think this is the best solution for the stupid connector problem. Great work.

348steve likes this.
  10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OUTSTANDING!! If I had a heated garage, I'd be out there right now!

Ernie -

My windows are similarly slow. They start the upward path just fine -- like a normal car. The last 2 inches however, are painfully slow and require me to "pull" the window up. I'm not sure why that would be an electrical issue rather than a mecahnical/tension issue somewhere near the top of the path. Jeff -- prior to your modification, did the windows crawl near the top of the frame? What's the speed like now?

-Daniel

11. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    Yes interested - is the speed better now?

12. 348spyder

348spyder Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    I like the rewire option but is there anywhere I can find the female terminals because I have only 1 wire broken at the terminal and no corrosion on any others. Also how do the terminals come out of the door side connector. thanks

13. 348spyder

348spyder Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    chrisx666 you say you have gold plated pins but will not replace until you have problems could you please help me out in where i can find those pieces to fix my 94 348 spider

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 ferraridriver, May 12, 2008
    A crimp connection is far superior to a solder connection anywhere vibration or movement might be encountered.

A soldered connection will eventually fail at the end of the solder due to fatigue.

I really should say a PROPER crimp connection, as there are many ways to improperly crimp a wire end, and only one correct way.

The correct tools are a must, as is the correct size ends for the wire, but at least as important is the orientation of the ferrule in the crimping tool.

On a non-insulated wire end the split in the ferrule must face the side of the crimper with a protrusion. On insulated wire ends the split side must face one side in the tool.

If this is not done the ferrule is simply folding around the wire with the crease opposite the split, and is much more likely to pull out.

Those who will disagree, as I’m sure there will be, should be aware that crimped connections are specified by NASA for the space shuttles.

In the attached pictures the split in the ferrule is up at 12:00

15. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    #15 jmiff348, Jan 19, 2010
    Well, it's a sunny warm mid-January day in Texas, and my thoughts of putting the top down and going for a spin during lunch just got turned upside down...

After running a number of searches here and checking the cost of a new wiring harness, the hard-wiring option is a winner! Looks like I will be somewhat tied up on Saturday. Jeff, thanks for starting this thread!

16. jeremysmith0611

Apr 1, 2010
    Louisville Ky
    this thread has helped me out sooooooooooooooooo much every problem listed with the door electric issues in this thread and every one was right on!!!!!!!!!!! thanks to everyone who has worked or owned the 34great and shared their problem solving skills! just plain AWESOME

17. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jeff (Miltonian) the OP is an incredibly valuable asset to FChat. He has an uncanny ability to diagnosis problems, via the Internet, and offer solutions. In sum, he's one very intelligent man.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like that :)

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well said Scott, I couldn't agree more :)

20. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So very very true! I had a LONG list of things to try and fix while mine is all pulled apart for painting. In well over half the things on my list that have been corrected so far, I noticed that Jeff/Miltonian posted either the final fix or started the thread.

There is no way ownership of this car would be possible without the resources available here and from the brotherhood/community. Rather than pulling my hair out in frustration, I find that doing the research, reading, and thread search is half the fun. The other half, of course, is actually FINDING the needed info and implementing the proper repair. God bless that famous pointer featured in multiple pictures.

21. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    For those that don't want to go the hard-wiring route, it is a relatively straightforward job to remove the connectors from the plug and replace the pins - there is enough wire in the loom of the door to be able to cut all the wires back and crimp on new connectors.
    As for the connectors, I found this:-
    http://docs-europe.origin.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0b0a/0900766b80b0aa5a.pdf
    Which is an engineering drawing of a suitable crimp pin replacement - these are made by Tyco with part no. 1-66100-9 which can be bought from Digikey in the USA or RS components in the UK (as well as many other suppliers). These fit the plug correctly, are the correct size for the pins in the socket and the correct size for the majority of the wires - the heavier gauge electric window wires are a little bit of a stretch to crimp on and the pins would preferably have longer tabs (i.e. through the sections A-A and B-B) to be perfect if anybody else can find the right ones, but these do work.
    You will note they are available with gold plating too if required (see part no.s on the drawing).

22. terrenceW

terrenceW Rookie

Apr 16, 2010
    Any idea how much they cost?

23. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    +1....yep, Jeff recently diagnosed a rather difficult issue for me as well.....

24. moffydh7

moffydh7 Rookie

May 15, 2011
    Durham City England
    Full Name:
    David Moffatt
    Hi, I am new to this. I have owned a 1994 348GTS for 6 years, with no problems, until 3 days ago. The windows strted going up and down very slowly, the door mirrors have stopped working and the speaker on the drivers side door has also stopped. The brake lights have stopped working and the glove box has also stopped. I have traced this down to the wiring between the door frame and the door. Several wires including the two thick yellow ones and the thick black one, and various other ones are undetached. Are the wires on the door pillar side the same colour? Can I repair the socket without having to take any more of the car to bits? Where would I be able to buy the pins for this joint?
    Any help you could possibly provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanking you in anticipation, moffydh7

25. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    #25 Jeff Pintler, May 20, 2011
    I took 3 shots of this and I hope this is readable. These are the tools for the door connectors and the tool works great. These amp connectors are also used in the connector above the left rear wheel of the engine compartment. My experence has been that a crimp connection with the correct tool (not the cheap crimps) is better because solder doesn't allow flex in the wire, something needed in a door hinge area. Replacing the door connector with soldered connections like this post is a bad idea. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal