348 dyno | FerrariChat

348 dyno

Discussion in '348/355' started by QSA, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Did two dyno runs today to get a baseline before some upcoming mods (and just for fun).

Made almost exactly what I expected:

254 rwhp @ 7,250 rpm
    199 tq @ 6,070 rpm

Car is stock other than cat bypass and Superformance exhaust.

The a/f ratios were taken on different exhaust outlets each run.

Attached is a picture of the printout; I’ll post up the electronic when I receive it.

Video below.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, ernie, Wade and 2 others like this.
  2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Looking forward to seeing the gains you get.

paulchua likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cat bypass and Superfomance exhaust, no chips is that right?

4. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Correct.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    thank you for posting this, I love these sort of threads. Very much looking forward to your results.

Cheers

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What mods are you planning?

7. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Standalone ECU - right now Electromotive, but plan to have a few more conversations with reputable/experienced tuners, so I could change my mind. Running the EFI and ignition off the current 60-2 trigger with a single hall sensor sounds good.

Individual throttle bodies (ITBs) - would like to use 355 ITBs, but the price of these has gone from $600 +/- a set to double or more; they aren’t worth that, as there is very limited uses for these. They are a little too big for the 348 (even with head work/cams), but if I could get a set for a realistic price I would make them work. If not, will likely do Jenvey. Still haven’t ruled out motorcycle ITBs, but there would be more work in the custom flange/connections that have some negatives.

Head work/cams - maybe. When I get the engine out and inspect, what I find will drive this decision; basically if a head needs to come off for anything then it’s getting sent out for porting and larger valves.

The above are the only mods planned that would affect the dyno numbers. I’m planning some others.

My intent is more to have fun with it, and simplify the car some rather than hit a power number. I would expect maybe 10-15 hp with the ecu/tuning, another 10-20 adding the ITBs, and maybe even another 30-50hp with some head work.

chopsui, PineChris and INTMD8 like this.
  8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You will be pleasantly surprise by the power gains you make from the ITB's & tuning the stand alone ECU. You'll want to get a good set of after market headers too.

9. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    This is exactly what I wanted to do with my car and exactly why I bought 355 ITBs and plenums a few years ago. Now with a third kid, I have zero time, energy, and disposable income to tackle the project. The parts are just taking up space in my garage and I'd love to see them going to the project that I wanted to take on in the first place. Make me a reasonable offer if you want them.

10. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    PM sent.

11. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There was a Momo livery race car at the FCA event at Laguna Seca a few years ago that had a modified 348 engine. If I remember right it was a Nissan chassis and the engine made 500 hp. Not sure what was done to get that power level. Was owned by a father and son team from Florida. Nice guys and we had fun on the track with them.

SoCal1 likes this.
  12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It ran in the IMSA series on a Spice chassis, back in the '90s. The F119 is one potent little engine when it is allowed to breath properly.

chopsui likes this.
  13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have the ITB setup for the 348, it needs more clearance on the rear deck, no biggy. Just need to get adapter plates made
    Slight headwork, ITB's, cams should put you in a nice place.

I don't have a spare 348 motor but enough parts for couple 355's. I will throw one of them in the 348 then start machining that after its out. Maybe aftermarket heads with X ITBs

ernie likes this.
  14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They go much faster when you get them out in the air :)

15. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Here is a video of my 355 Challenge at the track with the Momo car. It arrives at about the 1:20 mark and is in most of the video. They were having some issues with the car (electrical and suspension I believe) and it eventually broke down. Otherwise I am sure it would have left us for dead.

paulchua, SoCal1, QSA and 1 other person like this.