348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Regarding photographs of the damage... I'll have them but I doubt I'll have them until the much later this month... I will definitely post them.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Would be interesting, I mean the bucket fits over the valve spring, like a bucket. Not sure how a bucket lets loose but a shim on top of it possibly yes but man those shims are down in there. Engines can fast enough that the valve spring cannot snap the valve closed before the cam attempts to open it again. What ever that rpm threshold is it has to be high. What I wonder if there are other causes for those like damaged vale spring or other valve train spec issue that can educe the same failure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

axarunner likes this.
  3. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Hey Brian White , you don't happen to know of a F355 Titanio with black interior spider that recently sold out of Bellevue Land Rover last month. I was curious to were it might have ended up. I lost that sale unfortunately.
    Mike

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The valve bucket fits into a precision hole in the block. It can only slide up and down, and cannot turn cock-eye even one little bit. That drawing is very wrong.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Forget the drawing, the the drawing is not the point. The picture is showing the shim tipping which was the point about possibility of a cause, forget the bucket. I updated it so we can move past that bit. The question is around HOW does this happen?

The shim is on top of the bucket as the picture shows, forget the bucket whether in the block or not is not the point. No way it bucket is the cause we agree there.

The point is I am not clear how a valve bucket and shim (probably the shim) let loose. I mean it would have to be serious RPM to beat the valve springs and create enough of an opening for the shim to fly out. I find that dubious is all and wondering what can cause that besides RPM. Just trying to understand I am not trying to explain it.

Hoping someone can help explain how this happens besides RPM which the OP says was not the case.

Attached Files:

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    He should send me the old engine unopened, and I'll forensic as I rebuild.

:D

sjd

axarunner and krazykarguy like this.
  7. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    In just 19 months of ownership I'm into this car $72,000... and the work isn't done yet. I paid just $41,348 for it. The used 1992 348 engine cost me $7,500... I'm looking at a $25-$30K loss when I sell it later this year. I'm exhausted of Ferrari ownership.

Rory J and JLF like this.
  8. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    $72k isn’t that bad. From my experience, you pay about $65-70k for a 348. Whether you buy a “needs nothing” car, or a $35k one and get it up to snuff.

At $72k plus a used engine with some worth in your pocket you aren’t too bad off. Don’t be too down.

You saved one from the parts bin, so consider yours hero.

axarunner and Doug. like this.
  9. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Sorry to hear

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. SFviper

SFviper Rookie

Oct 3, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Robert K.
    A well sorted 348TB is now priced between $70k-$90K, I don't think you'll be losing much. Hold and enjoy it for another 3-4 years and you'll be making money on it as the manual V8's are all appreciating.

360Fezza, bjwhite and axarunner like this.
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well then don't sell it, sheesh. haha.

axarunner likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I defiantly understand that perspective. I went into mine with the thought that it is not an investment. Any money or repairs is sunken cost and it is in exchange for personal enjoyment, this includes the possibility that I may loose a motor. No matter how prepared one is, it's still awful when it happens. In the back of ones mind will always be "what if it happens again" which leads to selling it and moving on. Probably exactly what I would do actually so I can relate. Unfortunately you have had a rather torrid run of bad luck with your car. These cars are rather a crap shoot due mainly to prior owners issues and in your case no matter how much you spent to get it back to right, you can still draw the short straw. I actually had a dream last night as a result of this thread that I sold mine and bought a California.

13. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    The purchase of a California would be a nightmare for me... Perhaps selling my 348 and my AMV8 S to purchase a F430 and converting it to a manual would be a wet dream...

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh yes, another guy out here sold his 348 SS and went with 430 manual.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Or you could just get a 430 manual. A couple for sale around the Seattle area right now actually.

16. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I'd rather have a 348 than a 430, simple, very bare bones nuts and bolts.
    Imagine the electronic horror show the 430's and so forth are going to spit at you as they get older with their E diff and other shenanigans.......Imagine having to take the engine out of one to do what eventually will have to be done.....Timing chain tensioners and so forth..... No thanks...not for me.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Pretty sure a service is done with engine in with a panel through the rear firewall? Hence the cheaper majors on the 360s and up.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep.

19. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yes the cambelts on the 360 are done through the bulkhead, but we are talking about a 430 which does not have cambelts but rather cam chains, and no accessibility, you will have to remove the engine.
    People seem to have this preconceived notion that chains are all good and last forever. Well, no, they do not. We are going to start seeing this soon as the 430 is now about 16 years old.
    These issues are going to crop up, and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    7 pages in, still no pics, just random gripes. :)
    Dan? :)

axarunner likes this.
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I still don't get how it throws a shim, you would need insane RPM to beat the spring rate and throw the shim before the lobe comes back around to press it which happens faster and faster with rpm. I mean 9000 rpm wont do it, 12,000 rpm maybe but I doubt it. Neither happened in this case. :confused:

22. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is a dumb thread and the OP is playing hide the ball for a reason.

23. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I haven't visited the car in a while and I neglected to take photographs of the damage. The technician did though (as well as document the rebuild of the 1992 engine and its installation). I promise to fully update this post when I have that information.

24. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Sorry Targatime that you feel that way.

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Looks like the 430 has access to the front of the engine from behind the seats to me. What am I missing?

Image Unavailable, Please Login