348 Engine grenade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Engine grenade

Discussion in '348/355' started by hercfe, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Followed by "What were they thinking?"

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are these 2 isolated incidences or are there more reported failures or possibly recent belt failures after majors with water pump changes?

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    And never used since the 348.

But to be fair I raced my 348 as did every 348c racer and the single belt did not fail.

I think it is a robust system in this low power application. 348 do not fail with increased frequency vs. 2 belt ferraris.

But yeah could have been disaster.

4. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Was the rear bearing on the driven shaft for the cam belt system upgraded? That's where mine failed. I believe the latest upgrade part number is 171177.
    See 348 Components, Table 6 - Timing - Controls, part # 3.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The TSB10-34 part? I dodged the bullet with mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sjd

6. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    For those of us who are not mechanically inclined can someone tell us in English what happened so if there is anything we can do to avoid this type of disaster we can do it

Mel

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    don't know yet. if you replace the bearing shown also replace the bearing in the timing cover as that is prone to grenade too. Hill makes a replacement. also tack the fence pullies my bet is that's what failed.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

steved033 likes this.
  8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hoping to hear it's just a kink in the system.

9. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    That's the one!

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    No news yet. Tony graciously let me tow it directly to the shop even though they have a lot of projects going on. I told him since the winter is upon us, I was not in a hurry. I will update as soon as I hear anything. I definitely do not want a member of the Brotherhood to hear that noise, ever... Keep the discussion going, learning a lot. I'm leaning towards failure of a component that is not usually addressed in a belt service or major, probably something usually thought of as insignificant. However, it was definitely not the clutch/flywheel, which I was praying for... Thanks for all the engine links, def giving me an idea of what it'll cost to start. Which raises the question, would you take the current motor, strip it down and replace defective components with the donor motor parts or just go with donor motor, not really knowing anything about its history...? Seem's like more of a gamble with the latter. Thoughts?

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Impossible to decide without knowing exactly what the problem/damage is.

308 GTB likes this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It depends, if it just valves then rebuild heads, if it pistons it would depend whats out there at the time. If your like some folks then juts spend 30K and have a whole new engine built and dont think twice other wise like me and many others, it depends on budget, circumstance, availability, appetite etc. See what the issue is first then go from there. It all speculation till there is a diagnosis.

Speaking of speculation, based on what your saying, and you suspect interference, pulley fences failure or Idler Bracket failure they can crack if pulled incorrectly is the two that I would suspect, but its just a guess and for reference and based of your description, I could be WAY off. I sure hope is nothing significant!

BTW you can see the pulley fence tacked below for reference. The stupid fences are pressed on they can get flung and create ungodly havoc from being pulled and installed during service if care is not taken or what not. If its not that, when you fix it have that done.... It is the biggest time bomb I think all for the lack of a few stupid tack welds.

hercfe and Dino L like this.
  14. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I did the same and had all of my fences welded on during my last major after reading about this issue on here.

hercfe and Dino L like this.
  15. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Any updates?