348 exhaust ecu location? | FerrariChat

348 exhaust ecu location?

Discussion in '348/355' started by sf348s, May 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Hi Guys,
    I just drove my 348 from my house near Rome Italy, to Scotland in 4 days (I did the first 1,950klms non stop apart from a ferry) , 2650 klms! 30klms from my destination I had the 'slow 5-8' light come on for the first time ever in 5 years of ownership. true to uk weather it lashed down with rain for the final leg of my journey so i'm REALLY hoping that the water has caused an electrical malfunction. I did a few searches yesterday on here to find probable cause and i went looking for the exhaust ecu, supposedly near the rear shock mount, but where and whats it look like or am I just incredably stupid?
    cheers guys
    Steve

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  3. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Thanks Ernie, found it, behind the heat sink, is that it? smaller than i expected! my 'slow down 5-8' light is still on and when i start it the motor is rattling like a bag of bolts, it also starts on 'choke' but only for a few seconds then it drops off to normal before it actually warms up. Any thoughts?
    Steve

4. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #4 chrisx666, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's another diagram (46). Try temporarily disconnecting it (the signal to the main ECU, not the thermocouple sensor in the cat) - the fault should disappear. Or maybe swap it with the 1-4 bank to see if the fault is transferred.

The engine is probably only starting on the 1-4 bank because of the overheating cat signal. Remember that if you still have cats, and run without the ecu connected there is a risk of fire if the cat really does overheat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Are you sure it's not the check engine light? Because if you have the cat ecu's disconnected you should not be getting the slow down light.

Explain your start up problem a little bit more in detail.

6. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    I think you are correct about the rain causing the ECU to fail. I found that the plastic case separates from the encapsulation and lets water in to short out the ECU. The location of the ECU is just dumb, right where the tire splashes the rain water. I have not had a problem since I unpluged them.

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    also
    same problem with fix for split seam:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148071

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136704419&postcount=64

8. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Ok chaps,
    just an update really, I have been a bit busy for the last few days but i just took the car for a spin now, it's been dry for a few days (i'm working in scotland so the car is outside) and the light stayed off and the idling problem seemed ok also, I have booked it into Gray Paul Ferrari for a check over in a couple of weeks, they are in Edinburgh, does anybody have any experience of them?
    Thanks for all your replies and help previously guys.
    Steve