348 gas cap solenoid | FerrariChat

348 gas cap solenoid

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Oengus, Mar 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was wondering if anybody has changed the gas cap solenoid for the gas cap door. I know that you have to remove the rear drivers side wheel and interior vendor housing. After that is it pretty straight forward or is there anything I need to look out for?

Also, Im replacing the console button for the gas cap, any secrets I should be aware of.

Thanks for you help.
    Chas

2. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Chas, no tips on your specific Q's I'm afraid, but am curious as to why you're changing these parts. Are you sure they are u/s ?

On my 355 which is basically the same system I had an intermittent problem, totally cured by WD40. The plunger was gunked-up. The grease that's on there picks up dust etc. and just gets sticky.

Just a thought.

RF.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

RF,
    my plunger is actually seized........won't even move with vice grips. The console button for some reason is just sitting in the square port, I can't seem to get it to snap into place. I thought it was broken so I just ordered a replacement. The replacement is axactly the same though..........I might be doing something wrong (good chance of that).

Thx
    chas

4. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    How much of a pain in the a** is the solenoid replacement? Mine seized yesterday (at the gas station). Enjoyable driving around in a freshly detailed Ferrari with the fuel door open- received about a half dozen friendly reminders before I made it back to the house.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Open your fuel flap and you'll see a big nut holding it in place. Remove that nut, disconnect the wire at the back, plug the new one back in, and screw the retaining nut back in place.

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Man, if I remove the nut from my car, who'll be left to drive it?!

7. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    My thought exactly- ha

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard