348 Gear shift assembly broken | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Gear shift assembly broken

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SFchallenge, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Try sourcing one from a breaker.

2. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think i might try the weld, line of approach first. Anyone know what type of metal this is? Cast iron /stainless? What type of welding suits it best?

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As this seems to not just be a fluke with an individual car, what preventative actions can be taken to stop this occurring in other cars? I imagine if timed badly, it could prove a terrible distraction for a driver and have dangerous consequences.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sorry about the snapped shift lever but this link is awesome. I've had a few discussions about the design of this linkage and the play-by-play photos are like a hands on anatomy class! :)

5. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    Hi guys. The latest is,i have found 2 breakers that can supply secondhand units. That is the complete shift mechanism. 250 pounds ea. My question is, are they any more reliable than a repaired unit? Think i might pull mine apart and take it to an engineering shop for their advise.
    There may be a way to repair and strengthen.

6. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    With the current exchange rate, the one I offered is far cheaper than even repairing yours.

Reed H

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #32 ernie, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    Nope.

The problem is the poor quality of metal used for the lever, and the shift gate. The lever is chrome plated. As you shift, and as is rubs against the side of the shift gate, the chrome gets worn off. The chrome plating is harder than the metal underneath. So once the chrome is gone the shift gate wears down the softer metal, until one day your lever snaps.

I have done both.

The first time my shift lever snapped I took it to a neighbors shop and had it welded up. That lasted for a little while. The lever broke again, but not where it was welded, it broke above the weld. So I just bought a used one and put that in. I had been keeping an eye on the sides of the lever, and once I saw the replacement starting to wear, I got another one and put that in.

The whole shift setup in our 348's sucks.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The levers are ridiculously slender and the narrow slots in the gate makes any real improvement to the design difficult. The relatively high shifting forces in a 348 make something that should never happen a real possibility.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seems like it would be simple for a machine shop to pump out relatively inexpensive replacements in 440C or some other stainless. Would be indestructible then.

Maybe ask Paul Hill at Hill Engineering.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    Thanks Ernie for the advise. Always of benefit to hear first hand accounts. Cheers.

11. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    Maybe ask Paul Hill at Hill Engineering.

That i think would be a good idea.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ya know..I have NEVER seen a shifter break in a Honda, Toyota, etc..but of course those are cheap cars to buy and service. But damn..leave it to a **** box company like Ferrari to come up with a shifter that snaps off in your hand..gotta love it. But us stupid owners continue to love and buy the crap they produce...why??

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    True that! A friend of mind who also races a vette was at my house when I was doing gold connector pins on my 550. He was puzzled then he laughed.