348 GTS restoration help please | FerrariChat

348 GTS restoration help please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FAT378, Jul 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    #1 FAT378, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    Hi everyone

Just in the process of an engine out service so thought it would be a good time to refurbish the oil tank on my 94 GTS as it is starting to peel

Just wondering what product people use for this to be as close to factory as possible? Is it just VHT wrinkle finish or powder coat?

Also, the belt tensioner pulley’s where changes on its last engine out service which was 4 1/2 years ago however the car has only done 3000 km’s since so are they fine to continue using or do they need to be changed with every belt?

Thanks

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Where are you?

3. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    Sydney Australia

4. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Tony, I painted my tank with VHT wrinkle then flashed a coat of Wurth Satin Gloss over the top. I can't tell you if this process will hold up because I'm assembling the car.

Powder coating will not work with the wrinkle BTW.

I would leave the tensioners until the next belt change depending upon who made them. The cheap bearings I would change, a SKF I would leave. I fitted the Hill Engineering tensioner.

I would however change the water pump if that wasn't done at the last belt change. It's engine out if it fails.

Great that you have a GTS, I know of only one Australian delivered example.

5. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    Thanks for the reply

Yea the wrinkle paint may be the go. Wasn’t sure if the factory finish was paint or something else

Ferrari Gold Coast completed the last major on it so I’d have to assume they used a quality tensioner and idler bearing. I’ll have a look in the morning for branding

Good point on the water pump. I couldn’t see anything on the 11k receipt from them mentioning it. Is there any other way to tell if it was done without opening it up? The housing seems to be factory

Wow I didn’t know they ever delivered a GTS to Australia. Mine is a RHD UK car but still pretty rare from the research I’ve done

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    If it's not on the receipt, it wasn't done.

The 348 water pump is driven by the cam belt, a major design fault. When the water pump bearing fails the cam belt breaks or skips teeth and the engine in lunched.

As Carl said, replace it now and every time you do a belt change in the future. The pump is rebuildable, if you can find an old school mechanic who'll spend the time.

7. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    With the water pump, no, by inspection. As Ian says.

I got the GTS wrong, I have no Australian deliveries, there is one GTB however, #98421.

8. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    Yes my understanding was there was one GTB delivered also. From what I’ve been told it is in Bowral NSW but not sure how true that is

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hello Tony, any pics of the 348 GTS? :D

10. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    islerodreaming, Cyt, carl888 and 2 others like this.
  11. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  12. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    Na just a replica but has around 1100hp on pump fuel and driven everywhere so lots of fun

Horse likes this.
  13. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I'll chime in for what it's worth...

Original paint was not wrinkle, as far as I know, but wrinkle is definitely the way you want to go. You can also do the heat shield over the top of your exhaust - looks really nice.

Belts/Tensioners are replaced because of age in most cases - not miles - as most people do bugger all miles in these cars.

From what I understand, the belts are actually a very low risk of failing - the main risks are with tensioner/bearing failure. If either go, you can be in a world of poo as others have said.

Engine outs are a fairly easy exercise, but yes they can be costly. When you have the engine out every 4 years (well that's what I do), you want to change a few things irrespective of milage - and yeah the water pump is one. I change mine with every single engine out. Things like hoses are also a good idea. Get your injectors sent off for a good cleaning. You're missing a good opportunity if the $10k service was done just to replace $100 worth of belts, go hard or go home!

Skimping on "optional maintenance" is a false economy - it'll either come back to bite you in the bum through a component failure - OR in depreciation as most cars that have had their servicing skimped on will show it. A well maintained car on the other hand will stand above the sea of sh*tboxes out there, and good lord are most 348's/355's sh*tboxes through neglect.

Of course you shouldn't listen to me, I'm a bit OCD. I'm about to repaint my front bumper because I noticed a few scratches near the underside skid plates that can't be covered up with touch-up, at least not to my satisfaction..... And yeah I pull my seats out to shampoo the carpet underneath them and pull of the wheels to clean the brake dust off the back side of the spokes..... :rolleyes:

MAD828, IanB and knocker like this.
  14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That 1100HP donk be worth more than the 348 these days. :D

16. FAT378

FAT378 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony Luppino
    Yea lucky for me I built the car 15 years ago and the current engine combo around 4 years ago so before everything had become so ridiculous. I did a cam upgrade around 2 years ago and paid twice the original cam and took 12 months to get it ‍♂️

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, I believe it. :D