348 head question | FerrariChat

348 head question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Plan to install my heads later this weekend on my 348 motor. The manual specifies a Molikote grease product. Is this simply an anti-friction lubricant or is there another task the product performs? Is a quality anti-seize product suitable? Thanks for the help.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Wish I could answer your question with confidence. I think the reason they want you to use the grease is to obtain the proper torque. So I would suspect that any good engine assembly lube will due. Give ARP a call you can get the number from their website http://www.arp-bolts.com/ They also have a tech info page that sould be of some help.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ernie, thank you. I suspected the Molicote is for assembly.
    Another question. As you are well aware, the torque spec calls for 60Nm, then a 90 degree turn of the nut for final torque. This is similar to GM’s current head torque spec. GM also requires replacement of the head studs after use. GM does not recommend use of the old studs because they are already “stretched”.
    The Ferrari workshop manual does not reference this point. Should the studs be replaced?

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    On theory yes replace head studs if you take the head off. In reality it makes little practical difference.