348 indicator Stalk replacement | FerrariChat

348 indicator Stalk replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Atz, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Atz

Atz Rookie

Oct 10, 2015
    Hi everyone my 1993 348 has an issue with the indicator. The stalk moves when I turn the steering wheel & the indicators come on. Has anyone seen this issue before?
    I’m hoping to find a second hand stalk but not confident. Any ideas????

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You may want to remove the stalk and take it apart to see what's going on. Sorry I don't have any more info for you because so far mine still works and I haven't had to tear into it.

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Contact unobtainiumsupply.com they offer a most excellent switch and stalk refinish and rebuilding service. Very inexpensive as well.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    .. bearing in mind that these devices usually have tiny springs and ball bearings which could fly off in all directions.. and you may either never find them again or can't figure out where they came from.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    True.

Disassembling things in a big box can help keep any parts that may fly off contained inside the box. Learned that the hard way when I was a kid taking apart the carburetor on a 50cc trail bike.

Qavion likes this.
  6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hmm, on the light stalk, it's a known wear issue with the plastic cam cracking and coming loose. I had a new old stock part installed on my 348 at my first major. It may still be available on Copart, with the rest of the car that survived... ;) Not sure about the indicator stalk.

7. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Basically, the main problem with these stalks is that they are made of metal and the pivot end is made of plastic. Over the decades the plastic tends to dry out and shrink. The metal being much harder causes the plastic to crack. Eventually, the connection between the metal stalk and plastic pivot end gets sloppy and when you move the stalk the pivot end does not move properly. At the end of the pivot end are the contacts and they may not line up with the contact buttons on the base leading to wacky electrics.

He can also cast a new plastic cam for the headlight knob switch.

Contact Verell at unobtainiumsupply.com he can rebuild your switch.

8. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    +1