348 MAF Adjustment | FerrariChat

348 MAF Adjustment

Discussion in '348/355' started by adsphelan, Sep 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adsphelan

adsphelan Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    #1 adsphelan, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    MAF Adjustment

There is an adjustment screw on each MAF (under a small circular cap cover that is usually blue). Pop the blue caps off of your MAFs (See attached picture). Remove the black data cables to your MAFs. The outermost pins on the MAF interface to the cable, pins #1 and #6, (See attached Picture), write down your ohm-meter resistance value (See Picture on setting of ohm-meter)$5.00 at Harbor Freight. Ferrari sets it initially to 383 Ohms. You probably want to be within +/- 3 ohms, say 380 to 386 ohms on each side. You may need a different value. Your MAFs may be mis-set to different values.

Your two MAF’s should each have the *same* resistance value, regardless of your setting. Turn the screw beneath the blue caps counter-clockwise to richen your mixture, clockwise lean it.

For faster revving of your engine, lean your mixture.

For quicker starts and max power, richen your mixture. You can adjust until you get a resistance value that suits you (just make sure both MAFs are set to the same level).

Too rich and your engine will be slow to rev, your cats will get too hot, and they will trip a Check Engine light. No big deal, just lean back your mixtures.

Too lean and your 348 will take forever to start. 5 "urr, urr" cycles at start is typical. More than that and you're probably too lean. Also, too lean means that your engine, rather than your cats, will be hot, and your power will not be up to full potential.

Get the right mixture adjustment and then your 348 will make beautiful music for you. You can do all of this *without* resetting your ECU's, too. Adjust, measure resistance, then start her up. Repeat as needed. Even better if you have a fuel to air ratio meter to more precisely report on your progress.

Don’t forget to relearn your ECU’s. Reset the ECU on a cold engine, by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect the battery, start the engine without using the accelerator and with all electrics off (don't turn anything on-off) and let it idle until the radiator fans come on about 15 to 20 minutes.

This info is from No Doubt and Marco
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1Flaherty likes this.
  2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    This information is fantastic... Thanks to ND and Marco for the info, and to adsphelan for posting it... it's a keeper.

Mike in Kuwait

3. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    So more Ohms is leaning it out?
    And less Ohms is richer?

I have added Capiisto exhuast, test pipes and KN filter, would I need to adjust my MAF /AF ration after these mods?

4. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    WOW! Great posting! Thanks.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I just love seeing fellow brothers working on their cars. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. LOL!!!!!

FloridaIsland348 likes this.
  6. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ernie – It’s incredible you’re still here trying to escape the humiliation of running off someone as helpful as Rifledriver. Too bad some will always prefer his 30 years of actual experience caring for Ferraris to your years of what? Being ernie?? LOL!

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Rifledriver was overrated. His attitude detracted from his knowledge.

Can you point to a single car problem that hasn't been, or can't be, solved now that he's gone?

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Are you still crying about that. Get over it whiney baby.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I would not want to start messing with a/f without having a wideband on the car. That screams danger to me.

Furthermore, its not fair to say that a richer a/f will result in more power and faster starts.

The car has open loop fuel tables that it runs off of, regardless of MAF calibration so it shouldn't matter what you do to the MAF, the start up should be the same.

Also, for a naturally aspirated motor, you should look for a 12.8 to 13.2 a/f ratio at WOT. Richer than that, and you will generally lose power. Leaner than that, and you can start to detonate.

Messing with the MAF should really be done with a wideband and a dyno to see if you are helping or hurting things.

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Took the 348 to a friends hgouse about 10 miles away. Checked the MAFS and tehyw ere 389 on each side.

Adjusted them to 381 and drove home.

The car definetly felt better.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Oh this is so funny. I think we need a poll: Who is really responsible for running off rifledriver?

I think in honor of Rifledriver, Rob should make an icon we can post that says RTFM! that has the smiley face banging a book For "Read the F***ing Manual"

12. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    What does MAF stand for???

Meassure Air Flow ????

//B//

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would still prefer to have Rifledriver here, than not.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Ooh, ooh, we need a poll! Who PO-ed rifledriver and sent him away?

I vote for anyone who questioned his posts. I really liked that guy - but I'm a cynical bastrd too - although it seemed he has a thin skin when questioned on his opinions further. Many times he could have answered without the attitude and with professional definition (e.g., 'cuz I'm a Ferrari mechanic you moron and I see this all the time!).

I'd throw ernie under the bus, but the Brotherhood needs him too much! :p

Nice thread too, I was thinking of dragging out the ohm meter today...

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I know, but his Drill Sargeant style probably drove away (pun intended) too many Ferrari newcomers.

"What?! You don't know how to check your oil only with the motor hot?! No Soup For You!"

16. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the info, i am curious to see what mine are set at, Scott

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    He still here, though be it he's only lurking. I just checked and he last longed in on September the 11.

Come out and play Brian you know this place is too addicting. LOL!!!!! :p

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    He may be, but I think he logs on to mainly answer PM's from people asking him questions, but I am only guessing.

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Over rated?

FUBAR

20. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    Bonjour, comment enlever le bouchon Bleu Svp.

Hello, how remove the Blue cork Svp.

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If nothing else works, you can drill a small hole in the centre, screw-in a longer self tapping screw and pull them out. Then, you can plug the hole with a short self tapping screw.

22. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The pot in the MAF is not connected to the MAF's circuitry so it does not alter the MAF's calibration in any way. It is actually connected to the ECU only - MAF's pin 1 is ground and pin 6 goes to the ECU pin 43. So it is a remote ECU trim.

23. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    Tanks