348 Oil Leak? | FerrariChat

348 Oil Leak?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ucorders, Jan 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    After taking my car out for a drive today. I noticed as small amount of oil or some fluid on the floor. Total was about a teaspoon. It was clear and oily. It is comming from a metal plate at the back underside of the car that is about 6"x2" with holes in it held on by four screws. Any ideas. I believe Miltonian mentioned something about it in the archives but I could not find it tonight. I've been budgeting the suggested $2/mile for the maintenance so I have $64 ready to throw at any problems that come up! Seriously though, if anyone can help Thanks!

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87552&highlight=348+flywheel+leak

The pictures in the above thread show the flywheel vent/inspection plate as well as your transmission gear oil drain plug.

Fluid from the ventilated inspection cover of a 348 often means that some component (e.g. a seal, a bearing, a clutch/brake cylinder, etc.) has failed, causing clutch/brake fluid to directly leak out...or for it to cause the flywheel grease to leak out.

Fluid from the drain plug means be smarter than No Doubt (that's me) by remembering to use a fresh crush washer when you tighten up your tranny drain plug. That's the $0.85 fix.

The flywheel grease fix is a bit more.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Fluid leakage from the perforated panel isn't terribly serious, at least it's not as bad as an engine rear main seal or something like that. You'll find lots of information in the archives about leaking "triple seals", or leaking clutch slave cylinders, or flywheel problems. It only takes about an hour to remove the clutch housing from the back of the drive train for diagnosis of the problem.

For now, I would recommend that you carefully check the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir in the front trunk, according to the description in the manual. The fluid in this tank also operates the hydraulic clutch, and if the level gets low enough (due to a possible leaking slave cylinder) you will have trouble disengaging the clutch when you press the pedal. It's easy to check.

4. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    This pretty much narrows it down. I'll first check to see if the dealer will do it since I just purchased it two weeks ago and if not I will do it myself. Thanks!

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Cool. It's not that much money, and it's not that much time/effort to fix these issues yourself (or often better, by the dealership).

And for me at least, it's sort of fun (probably for Miltonian, too).