348 Radiator Fan Switch | FerrariChat

348 Radiator Fan Switch

Discussion in '348/355' started by m.stojanovic, Oct 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The 348 factory thermo-switch is on at 85C and off at 76C (+/- 2C). Coming on at 85C seems fine (the thermo-switch senses the coolant temperature after it has been cooled by the radiator) but the off point at 76C seems way down and it is perhaps unnecessary that the fans run for so long.

The thermo-switch I recently bought from Eurospares (for 348) is on at 88C, off at 82C. Has anyone installed this 88/82 switch (or any other switch with different on/off points than the factory ones) and what are the results?

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I did not install one but for a street car I like them to run 195-200
    My personal opinion 185 is too cool

:)

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I would have thought in Malasyia the fans would be running continuously.

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    One should take into account that the 185F (85C) fan switch "on" setting is not the engine temperature but the coolant temperature after it has passed through the radiator. The engine temperature is probably about 195F (90C) at that point, maybe more. What I don't think is necessary is the switch "off" setting at 169F (76C). I think that "off" at about 176F (80C) would be sufficient.

I guess the new fan switch with settings at 88C (190F) "on", 82C (180F) "off" I got from Eurospares is a correction to the old switch.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Not quite. Italy, during the summer, is hotter than Malaysia - day 32-33C, night 26-27C throughout the year.

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Just tested the new radiator fan switch 88/82 C that I got from Eurospares. Works much better than the original 85/76 C switch. It comes on when the engine temp is about 93C and goes off at the engine temp of about 87C. With a new fan switch, the fans come on and go off in regular intervals, not very long; the old switch used to take ages to switch off while it was trying to (unnecessarily) bring the engine temp to about 80C which is even below the thermostat opening temperature.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Excellent info! Thanks for posting. I see an additional advantage for people who run lighter, lower capacity batteries in track cars. Sounds like a win/win.

Do you happen to have the specific part number handy?

BTW, are both fans supposed to come on at the same time? Seems like one was supposed to kick in later if the coolant got really hot, but maybe my terrible memory is playing tricks on me since I only see one fan switch and you seem to indicate that it controls both fans. I'm pretty sure only one of my fans comes on at idle, so if they're both supposed to come on at the same time I've got a problem...

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #8 m.stojanovic, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 88/82 C switch does not have a different part number. I ordered the fan switch from Eurospares using the original part number (expecting to get an 85/76 C) but they sent me 88/82. Looks like this was some kind of "upgrade" or recall.

Both radiator fans should come on at the same time - one thermoswitch driving two fan relays. However, as this is quite a big current "bang" on the alternator (especially if the battery is not fully charged and unable to cushion the high current surge at fans start-up), it would be better to stagger the start-up of the two fans by a few seconds. This can easily be done by inserting a timer (say 3 sec.) for one of the fan relays. I believe this would greatly increase the life span of the alternator diodes.

I also found a Fiat/Opel/Vauxhall radiator fan switch on Ebay which appears to have the same connector as the Ferrari's switch. It is 87C-on, 82C-off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the info, Miroljub. Are you pretty confident that the Vauxhall switch will interchange? If so, I may just get one.

Didn't you do a write-up on adding soft start to our fans? Or was that a timer? Need to see if I can dig that one up.

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The Fiat/Vauxhall switch has the same thread size so there is no problem mounting it. The connector looks similar to the 348's and, since it fits Fiat, might be identical. If not, it would not be a problem to connect the two wires. I am going to buy a Vauxhall one for spare.

The info on the fans soft-start I included is in one of the recent Alternator threads.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #11 m.stojanovic, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a radiator fan switch for Fiat (with different temp range) but showing the connector type. The Valeo switch for Fiat/Vauxhall, pictured in my earlier post, probably has the same connector. You can look into the 348's connector and tell whether is the same as shown on this picture.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I replaced my switch as well the 348 part was superseed I wondered if it changes temp range. I also replaced fans. The car heats up the switches kicks fans on for < 1 minute. Then kick back on shortly for another short interval. As Miro says previously my fans would kick in and stay on for a looong time and struggle to cross below the off threshold. Intact when it did my temp gauge would drop. Now it holds temps just below 195 mark.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You probably got a temp switch same as what I got from Eurospares, 88C on, 82C off (this range is stamped on the switch). My fans do the same - first "on" is very short, second a bit longer and after that the fans will cycle in regular intervals with the engine temp fluctuating much less than with the original switch, i.e. stay 1 or 2 mm below the 195 (90C) mark.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The superseded part is 158655 its the 355 part. I'm sure that's the case. My car hit operating temp and I never noticed the fans come on I thought my car was going to overheat, I am used to the fans coming on and staying on when temps hit 190 ish. Temp runs a tiny bit hotter which is welcome the 348 just ran too cool.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #15 Ferrarium, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    The car now has the needle at 195 on the gauge, the thermostat housing (with a laser thermometer) shows 190-195 with fans on and off. So the car runs hotter than previously and likely better but its a little odd as I am so used to the car running 190'ish. Previously 195 was hot in traffic, 180 was normal (obviously too cool) now 195 seems normal temps and likely more optimal. The 355 has higher cooling capacity fans 2100 vs 1600 on 348 wondering if that would be an issue with the higher temp fan switch.

Here it is sitting in the garage drive and idling letting the fans cycle a few times. About a needle width hotter than previous fan switch.
    1. The gauge was before the fans came on.
    2. The laser is after the fans (the needle goes just a tick below the 195 after the fans run).

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The fan switches have some tolerance to their switching range, probably +/- 2C. My 88/82 switch comes on when the needle is about 1 mm below the 195 (90C) mark and goes off when the needle moves back to about 2 mm lower than the mark. It is possible that your switch has some + tolerance.

You may wish to try a Fiat/Opel/Vauxhall (Valeo, TS2648) fan switch which has a range of 87/82 C which should keep the temperature slightly lower. It has the same thread and connector as the Ferrari switch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-OPEL-VAUXHALL-1989-Radiator-Fan-Thermo-Switch-1-4L-2-0L-VALEO/172671580208?hash=item2834073830:g:eXoAAOSwyZhcoe1I