348 reverse light on and off while driving | FerrariChat

348 reverse light on and off while driving

Discussion in '348/355' started by ricbowling, Sep 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricbowling

ricbowling Karting

Jan 21, 2008
    Cascais
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Almeida
    I have been told by people driving behind me that my white reverse lights come on sometimes while driving. what sensor should I check out or what should I do?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    This is a famous one. The rubber boot around the base of the shift lever, down under the chrome gate, has popped out of place or started to come apart, and it's pushing on the backup light switch. You just need to remove the gate (2 screws) and you'll see what I mean.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1. This happend to me a about 2 months ago. It turned out to be the foam underneath the chrome gate as Miltonian suggested. I just removed that foam for now until I can think of something else to stuff down there.

4. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This happened to me over the summer. In my case, the rubber boot was torn from getting caught between the gear lever and the backup-light push switch. Given the geometry of the various parts, it looked to me like even if I replaced the rubber boot, it was just going to happen again.

Rather than remove the rubber boot entirely (as some others have done), I took my existing boot and trimmed away the upper left quadrant of it, so it can't possibly interfere. (I left the outer flange of the boot intact -- just trimmed the flexing portion between the center ring and the flange.) I figure this approach solves the problem while still providing some protection from debris falling in.

- Eric

5. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 me too

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Common 348 issue. It's always the switch under the shift gate.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice fix!

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name: