348 shifter repair | FerrariChat

348 shifter repair

Discussion in '348/355' started by go_faster, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    We are machining a new shifter from 4140 stainless to fix a broken shaft issue. I am missing the upper part of the shifter rod above the square 'flange' part (it broke off clean above flange and seller didnt provide the upper part). I am hopeful that someone here could micrometer the width of the shaft at around the gate area. The length doesnt matter as we are shortening it while we are at it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

2. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    My micrometer says 9,37 mm at the gate.

3. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Thank you kindly.

Chris

4. amattox1

amattox1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area CA
    Full Name:
    AMattox
    Could you imagine the recall efforts and media noise if any other car makers gear shifters had a tendency to break clean off.

5. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    No, it is an old Italian car. And I care for her just like I care for my beloved wife. Maby more sometimes.. :)

6. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    I´m happy to help.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So you're saying that Ferrari has a reputation for gear shifters/levers breaking clean off? - How many cases have been reported then? :confused:

8. amattox1

amattox1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area CA
    Full Name:
    AMattox
    #8 amattox1, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

Just a quick search found these. So yes, I would say they do have a tendency to break.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So three cases out of the 8,844 348's made (let alone the total number of manual cars that Ferrari have ever made), means that Ferrari have a reputation for gearlevers/shifters breaking? :confused:

In My attic I have a "CAR" magazine from back in '85 in which there is a story about a guy going with a "CAR" journalist to Sant 'Agata to collect his brand new Lamborghini Countach from the factory (which, despite being told it was ready for collection was actually still being assembled when he arrived!).

During the drive home, not only did the car have a minor fire in the engine bay (funnily enough, a heatshield had come loose and caught fire!), but during some enthusiastic driving, the gearlever tore off in the owners hand!

Stuck at the side of the road, between the owner and the journalist, they managed to cram a long socket extension onto the remains of the lever inside the open gate and continue their drive back to the UK (Where the car was repaired and finished off correctly by an official Lamborghini dealership. They noted to the owner that certain parts of the car had blatantly been rushed in order to make the car available to him and were not up to the usual Lamborghini standard).

Considering the lower numbers of Lamborghini's made compared to Ferrari's, they must have dreadful reputation for gear lever/shifter failures based on this one failure alone!

Sorry for being argumentative and pedantic but Ferrari do not have a reputation for gearlever/shifters breaking as you seem to believe.

Yes there are a few occasional cases, but these are quite rare and certainly not numerous enough to demand an official recall, nor are they enough to create a reputation!

10. Räserperra

Räserperra Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Ingarö Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kringberg
    Well spoken.

11. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Ok. We have tested the metal of the factory shifter and have had the computer cad drawings done. One thing left that i need is the factory shifter ball thread.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also. It costs a lot to set this thing up and to confirm metals etc. but is fairly cheap to spit these things out once its all done. My first piece will be factory in all respects except shorter. I will have a fair bit into it but to replicate it will be about $350 I am told. If things work as planned my guy will keep the program in case anyone wants to fix a broken shaft or shorten the throw. Stay Tuned......

Still need thread size Though??

12. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is M10x1.25

Mine broke and i know of another in the UK that did the same. From speaking to Paul Hill about it, the issue is wear from the gate to the side of the shaft "metal on metal" It wears a groove into the side of the shaft then it fractures.

Paul Hill was going to make some as he has been asked for them before, but it would be some time before they would make any and then test them.

I ended up repairing mine by drilling the centre of shaft to around 5mm pressing a 5mm rod of silver steel in and making up a new top part of the shaft and pressing that onto the old shaft and brazing it. Touch wood it has been ok, but i do put a small about of grease on the gate.

13. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Keep a light film of grease in the gate and this should not happen

1994 ferrari 348 spider , third owner purchased may 2013 w/ 27804 miles

14. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Thanks for the measurement.
    I too drilled and tapped mine but unfortunately it didnt hold unfortunately.

15. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I do now, but all the wear on mine was from previous owners. I brought my car and stripped it down for a full resto and that is when i noticed it.

go_faster> are you going to make more than 1 ?

16. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    We are doing one to start. I will put it through it's paces this summer and see how it works. I'm not really in the business of manufacturing, and they wont be professionaly tested, so i dont want to be subject to liability etc. But.... If the one I'm making works for me I can have more done from the cad drawings (cnc) very easily. If after I make sure it fits well etc. anyone needs one as-is and at their own risk I can connect you to my machinist. I'll keep this thread updated on how it goes.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Interested to see your solution. Please post pictures of the broken shaft. Mine, I estimate, was broken at some point by a former owner due to the shaft being bolted together in the middle.

18. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Shifter is done and installed. Put some miles on it today with no issues. Went with a slightly stronger metal And shortened shaft. I will post pics tomorrow. I made two so have an extra if anyone here runs into the same problem.

19. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    #19 go_faster, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    #20 go_faster, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    Chris,
    Looks great, what material is it made from and what type of hardening are you doing?
    4140 or 4145 and case hardening? Nitriding?
    I'm no machinist but those are the grades of steel for shafting I believe.
    Dave

22. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Im not an expert either. I believe he said it was heat treated 4130. I could be wrong. he did a couple but hasn't hardened the others. He said he wanted to make sure everything was good with the test one I'm using.

23. TaureanDragon

TaureanDragon Karting

Nov 16, 2014
    Herts, UK
    Hi go_faster,
    Appears I have run into the same problem on my 348 and was wondering if you still had the extra one
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login