[348] Show us your belts and bearings! | FerrariChat

[348] Show us your belts and bearings!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, May 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almost three year's of ownership already and I knew my 348 was nearly due for its "5 year service" at the time. Well, now two years overdue (don't ya hate it when work gets in the way), I just had the full 30K service completed.

This belt and tensioners were changed, per the records, in 9/09 and less than 20K miles ago.

The owner at the time paid $1100 for the pair of Made in Italy tensioner bearings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Jeez! Those don't look so hot.

Mine is an F355 but the belts and bearings that came off looked almost as clean/new as the new belts and Hill Engineering tensioner bearings I installed in their place.

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That is a little gross looking, with the belt degradation. How did the bearings themselves feel, as far as function goes? Noisy/loose/tight?

5. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #5 Jackie and bill, Jun 1, 2016
    Got to say that paul hills gear is great. I have used his stuff for 11 years.
    I have just rebuilt my flywheel and clutch, so i took the opportunity to check the condition of my 10 year old Hills thrust bearing seals and carrier. Every thing is in great condition. The original factory unit went FUBAR after just 5 years by blowing through the alloy case. I mean look at the meat om the hills bearing case :)

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Jun 1, 2016
    The Hill's components are quite robust!

Here's mine from last August:

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Both tensioner bearings roll super smooth and quiet, even when applying a side load. They do have a tiny amount of lateral play but nothing that would indicate an internal failure. The scuff marks would suggest that the bearings were binding at some point. But are these truly scuffs marks (they're not uniform across)? Maybe bounce or slap instead?

The grooved damage is from something that was riding the belt, I forgot what Tech said it was. From that, the shaved off rubber dust simply bound itself to the pulleys.

My non-Ferrari technical analysis anyway. ;)

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow, that belt and bearing doesn't look too good Wade. :eek:

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine were just over 9 years old and 11,000 miles and looked much better than yours.

There was hardly any wear on the belt, and the tensioners did not have any of the belt worn onto them.

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #10 ///Mike, Jun 1, 2016
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The culprit was the cam belt guide shoe (or follower) was riding the belt. There should have been a slight amount of clearance, which wasn't set correctly during the previous belt service.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/315402-changeing-cambelt-mysterious-part-found.html

12. bmxracer50

bmxracer50 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2009
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dang Wade. You are confirming my decision to keep my car in storage until I do the Major. I cleaned it up and parked it a few months ago since I still haven't decided on the water pump/oil pump chain guide. I want to replace water pump while I'm in there, but I'm holding out for a better design. Oil pump chain pad could be still good for all I know, but I was thinking about replacing it anyway if I'm going to go through the trouble of pulling the oil pan to check it.

13. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yup, incorrectly set or loosened follower would have been my guess for scraping the back side of that belt.

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks, Wade. That's what I suspected but didn't want to jump to the conclusion.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I know what you mean Mike. I was going to pull the trans side covers as a "while I'm in here" but, maybe next time.

However, my water pump was OE and, while there were no issues, I had it replaced anyway.

For the oil chain pad, my records show the TSB completed at Ferrari of Seattle (12/2002, 10,452 miles). So, good to go for now.

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Wade, did you do any research into the longevity of the newer style factory front bearing and chain tensioner pad? I've tried to get a sense of how much life can be expected from those components based on posts here but haven't been able to gather much real feedback. There's no reason to suspect that there is anything with mine and I'd like to think that the updated parts would last for 40k total miles, so it's tough to decide whether to go to the effort of replacing them over the winter or to assume I'm safe for another five years.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No Mike, I haven't seen any info on the durability of the replacement/updated version from Ferrari. Interesting question!

Until then, I'll be very lucky if I get more than 5K miles on my car before the next belt change in 2021 (holey crap... that's like... way in the future!) :(

18. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Talking to SRI, the impression I got for the factory updated material and the modern day aftermarket replacement piece is to expect a lifespan of about 40-50k mi. (rough estimation)

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  20. bmxracer50

bmxracer50 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2009
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wade, which water pump did you use? Vendor?

Re TSB 10-34: Anybody hear of cars with assembly numbers >4384 having the cam or oil chain pad wear issue?

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I don't know which pump but Bill at Speed Works doesn't use anything that he can't warranty. I'll find out...

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    From the pics I've seen posted here it seems as though the factory pad material wears pretty quickly, regardless of the type of tensioner fitted. What I have not been able to determine is just how quickly... The million dollar question is, just how many miles can we reasonably expect those pads to last before it becomes prudent to replace them?

23. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    exactly, I will have a picture of my 17K original tensioner in the next month. I need to do the cam drive ball bearing update anyway, so it will be out.

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Excellent! Please post it.

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This thread is becoming more interesting as it goes. I should ask for a re-title to include tensioners (and fix my typo to "bearings").