348 Speedo Burned Internals | FerrariChat

348 Speedo Burned Internals

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    cardude442 likes this.
  2. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Oct 25, 2015
  5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Wade, the color bands on the resistor were Blue, Gray, Gold, Gold. That equals 6.8 ohms with a 5% tolerance. HTH.

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Oct 25, 2015
    Yes it does help. I never would have guessed those colors, except maybe the blue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    What's interesting, this speedo has been repaired before, for the same problem.

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I took a ton of pics of the board in my speedo while I had it apart looking for a problem, thanks to posts I've seen here where people were unable to identify burned components after the fact. Glad it was of some help to you.

I wonder if there's an intermittent wiring problem somewhere that's causing your speedometer to toast itself...

9. Volair

Volair Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Carmel, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Guys,

On these old boards, often time the root cause are leaking/shorting/failing electrolytic caps. You should examine them for bulges, leaking electrolyte and even if not found desolder these, check capacitance and replace, maybe with tantalum ones. Hopefully there are not a lot ones to fix/change and good news are once you do this you are good for another 25-30 years ;-)

cardude442 likes this.
  10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Excellent advice, Bart! This is true in vintage audio components and cars typically endure harsher conditions. Caps are cheap and easy to replace, so why not?

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good points for "while I'm in there..."

Mike, do you have a good photo the shows the complete board? With mine having been repaired in the past I'd like to verify that I still have the correct components.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Wade, I went through the shots I have and created a zip file that will hopefully provide a complete component list with the exception of two components. There is an electrolytic cap mounted horizontally and its values happen to be on the bottom, against the board itself, so I couldn't read those even with the board in my hands. There is also a red device that looks somewhat like a ceramic cap that is near the resistor that burned. I think there's an image of all of the identifying marks on it but I'm not sure since they don't mean anything to me. If you can post values for either or both of those components I'd like to have them for my records, as well as for the archives.

I also included a couple of shots of the "mystery part" I found inside the rear housing of the speedo as I went to reassemble it, in hopes you'll be so kind as to examine yours to see if you can tell me where it goes.

The pics are probably not all that useful in 800x800, although I may try resizing them to see if they'd work for the archives. So I put the full res versions in my Dropbox and will leave them up for a while, but they likely won't there permanently. Here's the link: https://db.tt/jIp5pSgA

HTH,

///Mike

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #13 ///Mike, Oct 26, 2015
  14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #15 ///Mike, Oct 26, 2015
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Awesome pics for the archives. Thanks Mike!

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I've learned so much from this forum it's a pleasure to have the opportunity to contribute. :)

Just wish I'd made the effort to light the shots better. Will try to do so next time. I'm not a photographer by any means. At least the full size versions can be blown up to provide better detail, so by all means grab those if you want.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #18 Wade, Oct 26, 2015
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I will, thanks.

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #20 ///Mike, Oct 26, 2015
    Here's a more or less comparison shot to your bottom pic. The main difference I see is that you're a far better photographer than I am. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What is written on your red cap(?) next to the black connector?

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    LOL. It's my camera, a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS and I use the Macro with indoor settings.

22. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What's embarassing is that I have a decent camera. I was just too lazy to set up any proper lighting and the overhead can lighting was blocked by the camera. I could see some of that on the camera screen so I grabbed the LED work light that happened to be lying there, which helped but totally screwed color rendition.

Fortunately, between your shots and mine I think we have values for all of the components except the red thing. Sourcing some of them may be another matter entirely, but having the values in the archives is a good thing.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #24 Wade, Oct 26, 2015
  24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I've been looking online for some sources and they seem to be available. I just need to write them down and have my wife identify each component (she fixed circuit boards for Atlas rockets).