348 - 348 Speedo trouble | FerrariChat

348 348 Speedo trouble

Discussion in '348/355' started by raoulfilippi, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Hi mates, as mentioned in my introduction I've a trouble with the speedo, has someone ever noticed its malfunctioning? Mine has suddenly gone crazy (from 0 to 300km/h in one second) for a while, then has stopped completely (indicating now only the speed as zero).
    I’ve replaced the speed sensor installed near the gearbox but this hasn't solved the matter, it still not working.
    Any other suggestion?
    Has someone of you guys encountered the same issue?
    How have you solved?
    I've dismounted the dashboard for a check but I really didn't understand how to disconnect the white electric connectors (see the pics here down)
    Is there any trick to disconnect it?
    Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

2. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    There should be a locking tab to press in. Look underneath the connector. Also be careful when pulling it off as the printed circuit can get stuck in the connector. There are threads on how to repair your speedo head if you search.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sometimes the plugs can be tight. You have to be persistent, but be careful. The wiring harness is a ribbon type on the instrument side.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  4. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Thank you guys. I’m gonna try and then I’ll report.
    Another thing I’ve notice is that the black screw seems weak. That’s normal?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    raoulfilippi likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If that black earth wire is shorting to the white-yellow wire, it could stop the speed signal getting to the Motronics ECUs. Also, if the speedometer circuit board speed signal circuits are not isolated properly, these two wires shorting together could affect your speedometer reading.

P.S... I've used Italian colour codes for the wiring colours. I forgot to write RN (red-black) for the speedo sensor to speedo signal wire.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  7. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    thanks, very appreciated! It could be. thank you for the observation, since I'm not an expert iI'm not so sensible at those kind of details.
    Infact the behavior just a while before its death has made me think about a bad connection. For a little while the speedometer has tried to move the pointer, seeming to make an effort to do that (like try to lift up an heavy object) letting me think it doesn't receive imput to do that. i suppose now that i need to open the connector and settle the wiring lodging, specially the red one.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Can you confirm that the wire insulation on the white-yellow (bianco-giallo) and black wires (Negro) is damaged? All you may need to do is put insulation tape around the individual wires.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  9. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    thanks again for the tip. today I've been fully busy but hopefully tomorrow i should get the time to verify it. as soon as I've done it I'll post the result

10. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Ok, here I am, again. Today finally I had a while to dismount and control the wire and connector. As mentioned it has been really easy to disconnect the pin. all seems ok, no discovered wire, any shortcut. But the Speedo still doesn’t work, here below the pics:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Any other suggestion will be appreciated :)

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Common problem which typically results in needing the speedo repaired or replaced. But before that... have you tested the wiring? In other words, electrical troubleshooting? As a fyi, the speedo circuit goes through the connector in the left side of the engine bay.

Here's the basics:

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lots of 348 speedometer threads as well. Do a search here to find them because not every problem has/had the same cause and they may help you save money from "just replacing parts".

raoulfilippi likes this.
  13. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Thanks mate. I'll do.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #14 Qavion, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    raoulfilippi likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Correction.... Wade.

If you've found no power problems and the wiring from the sensor to the indicator is ok, look for dry solder joints or burnt components on the speedometer circuit board.

Do you have a "mousetrack" seat belt system?

raoulfilippi likes this.
  16. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
  17. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It would help if you posted what year and model your 348 is. Too many variations throughout its run, and several different wiring diagrams as well.

But yes, carefully remove the whole unit first. Then the backshell.

Attached Files:

raoulfilippi likes this.
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Ian was talking about Connector 115, which is round (originally).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-quick-voltage-check-connector-115-pin-2.505341/

Looks like yours has been replaced. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

20. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Thanks a lot. You right, mine is a 348 tb produced in May 93.
    I’ve opened the circular part but in order to extract from the block I need to remove the screw for the reset of the odometer (I don’t know how it is called but is the black plastic one that stays in front of you and is used to reset the mileage count to zero)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Personally, I wouldn't go any further into the speedo. It's almost worth its weight in gold. So collateral damage would be costly. Best to verify the integrity of the system wiring first, in my opinion.

raoulfilippi likes this.
  22. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    Hahaha can't be clearer
    Ok then.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I didn't realise the newer 348's had 355 connectors. I'll amend my late model diagram.

Later model 348 Instrument Diagram "5b"

Thanks for the link, Wade.

Luigi, when you say there is no evidence of shorted or broken wiring, are you using a ohm meter? You can't rely on visual inspections. The wires on plug 115, for example, sometimes detach from the pins/sockets. Don't worry about fuses. All the instrument power wires are connected in series. If your tachometer and seat belt light works, the speedometer has power.

24. raoulfilippi

raoulfilippi Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Bologna-Italy
    Full Name:
    Raoul Filippi
    #24 raoulfilippi, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Hi again guys.
    Someone of you knows how to remove this button here in the picture?

Thanks

25. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You may not have to remove the button if you can unplug and take out the green circuit board inside the speedo. If your wiring from the speed sensor to the speedo, as well as power supplies to the sensor and the speedo are good, and you already have a new speed sensor, the most likely failure is of one or more of the components (IC-s and/or the transistor) on the green circuit board. Some members managed to repair the green board by replacing some of the components (which are available on the internet). You should be able to find the posts on this repair which are very detailed and with many pictures. If I remember well, one of the members here also bought a number of extra components for the speedo repair and made repair kits, probably still available.

raoulfilippi and Pangea like this.