348 - 348 spider - PPI what to look for | FerrariChat

348 348 spider - PPI what to look for

Discussion in '348/355' started by jbla, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    Team,

I’m looking at a 348 spider with 18k miles.

I’ve been fortunate enough to receive an advance copy
    Of the full service history via PDF from the dealer, every record since new.

I’m trying to review it but given this is my first Ferrari I want to know what the major things to look for, or to notice the absence of, are.

I know there are other threads but the docs on 348 are a bit sparse. Obviously I’m getting a PPI but my experience has taught me that I must take responsibility for exactly what that PPI needs to check for. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ideally a list of things from a current owner who has suffered thru the major things, would be most helpful.

Thanks!
    Josh

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    WHAT A COLOR!!!!

sjd

P.S. if the ppi doesn't catch that the front wheels are on the wrong sides, don't pay.

JasonS, mrqro, 2NA and 1 other person like this.
  3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...and welcome to the best bunch of Ferrari owners there are...

Spyders have their own list due to the top, which being manual doesn't seem to be a big deal, unless something breaks.

As with all 348, history and any documented services are extremely helpful in getting you to a great starting point to really enjoy the car. Check out my348.com for a lot of things that have gone wrong, and a lot of ways to solve them.

If you drive it cold, 2nd gear may be sticky until it warms up. Just shift 1-3 until the car is warm. push all the buttons on the hvac, make sure the fan on the HVAC runs through all its speeds.

Know when the timing belt was done last. if you don't know, there's a date code on the belt. listen to weird bearing noises coming from the front of the engine. being a spyder, it'll be post TSB bearing, but all that stuff is sneaking up on 30 years old. Be prepared for "while you're in there" things if you do a timing belt maintenance.

sjd

4. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    Thanks so much Steve.

Question: this car has amazing docs all the way from new at the same dealer. All 3 owners used them.

How (un)advisable do you think a PPI at the same dealer would be? I can never decide on this, I feel like it’s a conflict but it went ok last time I did it with my Aston.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't feel a dealer ppi is extensive effort .(usually).. Where is the car located ..let us know and I am sure there will be an expert Indy near by that can do a much better job

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Wow what color is that? Looks amazing!

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Likely Rosso Barchetta. first 348 i've seen in it.

sjd

brent Lachelt likes this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    That's a huge positive, and they should have no problem with you taking it to an independent. I'll have to let the PPI guys chime in, as I bought mine without one.

sjd

9. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    I got one on my 348 since it was across the country. With how soft the market is right now if anything I would use it as a negotiating tool and recoup at least the cost of the PPI, that's what I did plus some. That color is awesome so get moving!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There are pre-purchase checklists you can use also. I did my own PPI (its pretty basic stuff), I checked the autochek/carfax and had a shop do a Compression and leak down test. Those are not part of a PPI but are more important than the normal PPI stuff which you can generally do yourself. Do this checklist also http://www.my348.com/348PrePurchaseInspection.htm

11. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    The car is just north of Chicago at Lake Forest Ferrari. I am debating whether going with an outside indie, or taking it to the other dealer across town, Continental ferrari

In my prior experience, mostly BMW, I find dealerships to be lazy and actually fairly poorly experienced with older vehicles, so I’m inclined towards indies. But Ferrari’s are a different animal so would love to hear opinions

I started a PPI thread in the local forum for Midwest, FYI

12. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    This is exactly what I needed thanks so much

13. jbla

jbla Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    Color is Rosso Monza. And I’ve got the deposit down on it already :) :)

Flying out Thursday to see her with my own eyes

Tifosi Dude, Wade, steved033 and 2 others like this.
  14. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    I would highly recommend above all else, find somebody that has a 348 close to you. Preferably one that has done some of the maintenance by themselves. I think if you could put your hands on another car to compare it to it would help you the most.

Qavion likes this.
  15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #15 steved033, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  16. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I live close by in northern IL suburbs and own a 95 348 spider. I have had my major done at Ferrari Lake Forest. was able to visit during engine out and staff friendly and have at least one certified Ferrari mechanic/tech on staff. I've had mine since '08 with 22k miles now. any questions feel free to ask here or shoot me an email at [email protected].

17. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi boys, I owned 348 years ago, a beautiful car ( mini Testarossa) that was not a great build though, probably the worst in the series between 308 to F8) not sure on F8 but I am ordering mine now so I will comment on that hopefully soon. But the 348 I had just wore me down with all the little things, from interior build and quality to the high ticket mechanical issues belts bearings etc, A 360 is a fun car, much better build, and if you relay want something special get a 458 if the budget allows you to.

18. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Oops one last thing, the spider roof is not very reliable, if you really have you heart set on a 348 get the ts or tb, that spider roof issue is also prevalent in the 355

19. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Woah that colour!!!

20. Ozadam

Ozadam Rookie

May 5, 2019
    I have one, corsa red, love the color of this one. Dont overlook electronics/controls/HVAC. Painful to sort out and parts can be hard to find. Make sure that the clock sets time and keeps it. Run and adjust the heater and AC for more than a few minutes to make sure that you dont get any error codes. There is a way to put the display into diagnostics (posted elsewhere on the site). I would hate to have to find a replacement HVAC controller.

21. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The 355 roof is all automated and very complicated, the 348's is easy as pie and very simple. I would not shy away from a 348's top, but would on a 355's....

Bertil, Qavion and Anthony Capone like this.
  22. Anthony Capone

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    You are correct the 355 spider roof is trouble, if you ever looking for answers, I always use Classic Coach, they know all models of Ferrari inside and out,

23. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Garford Hill
    If I may ask, what will the cost be for this beautiful red spider? I am looking at one, but need more pricing info first.

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  25. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Garford Hill