348 - 348 stalls as I come to a stop with AC on | FerrariChat

348 348 stalls as I come to a stop with AC on

Discussion in '348/355' started by Good2bgreek, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Good2bgreek

Good2bgreek Rookie

Sep 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hey all.
    I did a bit of a search and didn’t find anything about this specifically. I have a 348 that underwent a relatively big service last year. When I took it out today and drove it with the air-conditioning on, the car would stall basically whenever I would come to a stop. AC seems to blow cold. It almost seems like the RPMs dip below idle as the car slows down with the gearbox disengaged and it stalls out. I start back up and usually comes right back. Any thoughts? Is the AC compressor putting too much load on the engine or is there something I can adjust to keep the idle up when the air conditioning is on?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    First thing I would do is start the car with the AC off. Let it idle and come up to temperature. Then, still idling, switch the AC on. You should see a momentary small blip in the RPM and then come back to normal when the compressor clutch engages. If the RPM just drops below idle there is a problem with the ECU sensing the AC compressor engaging.

Assuming the early 348 is similar to a 2.7 car, the problem could be that after the service, when the ECU went through the learning process (not sure what it is for a 90 348) the AC was turned on. You could disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect and do the learning process making sure the AC is off an see if that helps. I'm not familiar with the early 348 so perhaps someone here can help wit the ECU reset process for your car.

308 GTB and Good2bgreek like this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I suspect opening the throttle stops right under the TPS 1/2 turn would help after you try what John mentions.
    1) disconnect the battery for a 10 minutes
    2) make sure everything is off, lights / ac, fan etc
    3) run car till the fans come on (about 12 minutes) and do not touch the throttle or blip it or turn lights or AC on or do anything for that period.

Good2bgreek likes this.