348 Starter, sometimes it just clicks | FerrariChat

348 Starter, sometimes it just clicks

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave Monk, Nov 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Monk

Dave Monk Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Full Name:
    David Monk
    Well I thought my 348 starting woes were better when I cleaned the battery posts well, but I still get an occasional no-start but solid solenoid click. If you click enough it eventually will hit. I have read several threads about this from new battery leads to an additional relay on the key side of the starter circuit. When I have had this problem with other vehicles in the past it was usually the contact disk and terminals in the starter, but in this parallel Ferrari universe of strange electrical problems I thought someone might have some commentary on this problem before I remove the starter and disassemble it.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Remove the starter and replace the contacts and plunger in the solenoid. ;);)

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Or.....

If your car has the battery in the left rear of the engine bay, try checking the bullet connectors under the air box for the positive, running to the starter, and the bullet connector for the negative. They have a history of getting loose and causing what you are describing.

If that turns out to be the problem I suggest you replace them with solid cables.

26street likes this.
  4. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Even if your battery is front mount you should check ALL the contact points. Its extremely commom to find loose/dirty contacts at terminal blocks. I also had a problem with my shutoff switch getting carboned up. Another source of my frustration was a immobilizer relay from an aftermarket alarm system spliced into the ignition line near the iggy switch by some idiot.

5. Dave Monk

Dave Monk Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Full Name:
    David Monk
    Thanks guys. The battery is in the left rear. All cables and contacts appear to be in good condition with no corrosion and tight bolt contacts. I'll pop the starter off sometime this week and check it out. Are the starter parts specific to Ferrari or are they common to other brands?

6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't see why they wouldn't be common to other brands.

7. excoachworks

excoachworks Rookie

Oct 16, 2007
    florham park, nj
    Full Name:
    amato petrillo
    try the connection block on the right rear strut tower.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Your description in the first post sounds exactly like the voltage drop in the ignition switch. Have you attempted the by-pass experiment? I wouldn't bother pulling the starter until you check that first, it's easy. Just make SURE the shifter is in neutral before jumping the terminals on the solenoid. If it WON'T crank over on the key ("click") but it WILL turn over when you jump the terminals, then the problem isn't in the battery, or the cables, or the starter, or the solenoid.

26street and ernie like this.
  9. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Some cars have this (I think earlier cars), but some don't. I have the left-rear battery location with bullet connectors under the air filter, but no connection block. Edit: Oh, and welcome to Fchat!

10. excoachworks

excoachworks Rookie

Oct 16, 2007
    florham park, nj
    Full Name:
    amato petrillo
    Ok, its called a terminal box not a block, Ferrari part no. 153357. Sometimes vibration and\ or corrosion can cause what is being described.

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    YEAH!

It's a terminal box............... :D :p

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That first comment of yours leads me to believe that your starter has worn out contacts and plunger in the starter motor solenoid. :):)

Its only 3 bolts to remove the starter and a few screws to pull it apart. Wont take long to confirm this. :D:D

The contacts and plunger 90% of the time are a universal fit. Take the parts to your local auto-elec to match them up. :):)

Happy wrenching Dave. :):)

ernie likes this.
  13. Dave Monk

Dave Monk Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Full Name:
    David Monk
    #13 Dave Monk, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally got a chance to fix the 348. I removed the starter and disassembled it. As you can see from the two pictures the contact disk and contacts were pitted from a lot of arc flash. They weren't worn down any (only 30K on the car) so I just re-finished the contact surfaces with sandpaper. Re-assembled and all appears to be well, started it several times and no "click" without start (whoo hoo!). Would take it for a spin but it is snowing here, about 2" so far. The starter is a Denso from Japan, so I imagine you could get the contacts if they were worn down bad. I had a new 95 Dodge truck that did the same thing to the starter after ~60K miles too, so manufacturers are still searching for a good super cheap starter, not much better than the starter on my 1953 Willis Jeep!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ernie likes this.
  14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent job, Dave

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Pappy was spot on. :eek::eek:

Nice work Dave. Thanks for the update. :):)

ernie likes this.
  16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Mine still "clicked" after replacing the contacts as shown. It wasn't permanently fixed until I installed the backup relay. I hope yours is OK now!

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Were your contacts worn were they? :):)

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    My contacts looked just like the picture above - burned and pitted. At first I just gave them a good cleaning - still clicked. Then I had an expert replace them and check over the rest of the starter. It worked fine on the bench, every time. But when installed in the car, it worked about 75% of the time, then 50%, then 25%. Then I installed the backup starter BUTTON, which worked 100% of the time. Eventually I installed the relay to increase voltage to the solenoid, and that has worked 100% of the time, so I removed the button.

ernie likes this.
  19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Interesting. :):)

I fitted my relay (as you know), but only because I could tell it was a little sluggish when cranking. Got an extra volt at the starter now. :):)

But my car NEVER clicked before I did that mod. It occasionally clicks now. Say once every few months and I assume I need to clean/replace the contacts in the starter. I will do so when I pull the engine for the major. :):)

Errrrr..............in a few years time. :cool::cool:

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job!

Thanks for getting back to us, and letting us know the outcome, AND......for the nice pics of the fix. This will surely help out the next guy.

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #21 ernie, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    Lucky guess, it was a lucky guess. :p :D :D

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Resurrecting:

Finally got to mine this weekend after it refused to restart last weekend. I got in to try it this weekend and CLICK! and no crank. Here's a quick writeup.

1. Disconnect the battery! This was a perfect time to install the new battery cable that came with the car when I bought it 8 months ago. The battery cable that came out had actually been taped together and ziptied.

2. I pulled the airbox, and disconnected the large positive side plug so i could clean the connector.

3. Undo the positive lead on the starter, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the starter in place.

4. With the starter on the bench, remove the 3 screws that hold the end plate of the solenoid plunger in place. There is a rubber seal under this plate, and the plate can be difficult to remove.

5. Remove the plunger and inspect: This one is really pitted and corroded.

I think this contact became misaligned when I loosened the positive lead in the car.

6. Clean everything with sandpaper and a little de-oxit, and reassemble. I had to take a file to the plunger and smooth out some of the pitting.

7. Reassemble.

8. The car cranked stronger than it ever had. Everything seems to be normal again.

9. I was tying up all the flopping and looser cables (something I do from the IMSA team years), and devised a way to "lock" the cable holder in place in its little mount. (The one on my battery side seemed to have less spring to it). I found that a zip tie works perfectly to hold the cable holder tight, and won't let the cable come out (for whatever reason it would want to)

Hope this is helpful!

Steve

RC2211, Schatten, ernie and 1 other person like this.
  23. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job Steve!

steved033 likes this.
  24. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Slight "caveat": If there is an ongoing issue with voltage drop through the ignition switch, you MAY end up with the same problem (pitting contacts in the starter solenoid) in a short matter of time. Did you ever take a voltage reading at the solenoid signal wire (from the ignition switch) while cranking? If it's less than 100% battery voltage, it will happen again.

25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.