348 Tb... My 'one day, one problem' thread. | FerrariChat

348 Tb... My 'one day, one problem' thread.

Discussion in '348/355' started by marc556, Jun 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Dear all,

One day , one problem.....

I start with one positive note:
    Yesterday I visited the official technical controle office ( I don't know the right english name).
    I have to visit them every two years.
    Result ? Perfect !

As you can see on the title, the Slow-down 1-4 light doesn't come on during startup.
    My first idea was the bulb, so I check it .... the bulb is ok.
    So I checked and cleaned all the cluster connexions.... It sounds also good....
    Do you have any idea ?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Did you recently replace both engine ECUs? I'd start there. Careful, the connectors' contacts aren't as firm as they used to be (in other words, spring tension).

3. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    No, I didn't touch the engine ECU's.
    I'll check the connexions....
    But The dashboard light is not connected on the ECU for cylinders 1-4, is it?

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Darn, sorry. I was thinking about the Check Engine light, which does get its signal from the ECUs.

According to the wiring diagram I'm looking at, Slow-down light (1-4), item number 128, the VR wire (green/red) goes from the bulb, through connector 126 and the passenger footwell fuse box, and onward to the Exhaust System Temperature ECU.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The SDL bulb is lit up by the exhaust control station ("SDECU") for about 1 sec. at ignition switch on. Your SDECU for 1-4 may be bad so try with swapping the SDECU-s to diagnose. You can also check whether you have code 4121 in the 1-4 engine ECU.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ...or if you haven't re-installed your instrument binnacle, you could check the resistance of the wiring between the right hand instrument plug (pin 9, green/red wire) and the 1~4 SDECU plug (pin "B").

I don't know if the wire colours are visible at the SDECU plug, but pin B may have a green-red wire.

I'm assuming you have a 6-pin plug on your SDECU.

7. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Thank you very much for your comments guys,
    The instrument binnacle is not re-installed, so I shall check the resistance.

But I can imagine the SDECU doesn't work anymore....
    I thoughtr when it doesn't work, the light appears on the dash.....
    I shall inverse left and right SDECU, we'll see

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Should this code normally generate a Check Eng light, Miro? If it does, perhaps Marc's problem is simply a Slow Down lamp circuit (?).

It may depend on what is broken inside the SDECU.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    In my case, non-cat UK model, I just find the ECU code stored for the bad SDECU side. No CEL or any engine running problem. I currently have both SDECU-s disconnected and no issues at all.

SoCal1 likes this.
  10. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Tomorrow, I shall inverse the ECU’s.
    We’ll see.....
    What is the normal price for this ÉCU ?

11. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Dear all,
    here is the solution....
    The ECU on the right side doesn't work anymore....
    Once again, you gave me the way to find the solution...Thank you so much.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm confused. Isn't the 1~4 light on the right side of the instrument binnacle? Thus, the right side ECU was inoperative. If you swapped ECUs, the left side light (5~8) and ECU should now be inoperative. Do you understand the engine cylinder numbering on Ferraris?

ECUs are surprisingly expensive... over U$500 plus postage

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think it's just the beginning of finding a solution. I presume your SDECU-s are the type with two and six pin connectors, filled with black resin. Buying another unit of this type (if you can find it) is a waste of money as they don't last. The alternatives are:

1. Just disconnect the bad SDECU (or both) if this does not cause any CEL-s (it will not if your car is a non-cat Euro). However, you will not get any "too hot exhaust" warning.

2. You can buy much cheaper 355 SDECU-s (green resin) and adapt them for use on the 348 (see posts at "348 SDECU pinout/wiring diagram" hanging around at the moment).

3. You can install aftermarket EGT gauges to continuously monitor the exhaust temperatures

4. You can build your own SDECU - 100 times linear voltage amplifier with a circuit which will switch a relay on at 3.75 volt coming out of the amplifier to light the SDL and, if you also want bank shut down, another circuit to switch another relay on at 3.9 volt from the amplifier.

14. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    Yes, you are right, but what I want to say is that 1-4 light didn't work because the ECU on this side didn't work anymore.. When I swapped left and right, 5-8 light didn't turn on.

Qavion likes this.